PDA

View Full Version : how to lower my car.. your advice please

dxlmt
01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
hey guys.

would you go for

Option 1 where get adjustable SPRINGS on stock shocks temporarily until the shocks die then get coilovers.. (cost = approximately $150 then coildovers )

or

Option 2 Lag and get coilover when you can afford while riding in a stock high state? (cost coilover price)

which one would you choose? lows NOW or save up and get quality lows later =]

thanks
David

mugen_ctr
01-05-2011, 11:41 PM
how badly do u want to go low LOL.... Most would say go 2nd option, purely cause with adjustable springs, it can be dangerous, and rolling on blown shocks is horrible! shiity handling and the ride can get hairy sometimes

Go for lowered springs, not adjustable springs ;)

For me, i went first option, but with just lowered springs, Kings, when funds permit, ill shall indeed be goin coilovers when the cash flows in :D

Not everyone has 1k lying around, hence why i went lowered springs firstly, an i hated driving around in a car that looks like a 4wd

dxlmt
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
i also think this way.. but yea my friends have told me otherwise.. just wanted to hear the forums opinion... thanks man

how badly do u want to go low LOL.... Most would say go 2nd option, purely cause with adjustable springs, it can be dangerous, and rolling on blown shocks is horrible! shiity handling and the ride can get hairy sometimes

Go for lowered springs, not adjustable springs ;)

For me, i went first option, but with just lowered springs, Kings, when funds permit, ill shall indeed be goin coilovers when the cash flows in :D

Not everyone has 1k lying around, hence why i went lowered springs firstly, an i hated driving around in a car that looks like a 4wd

dxlmt
01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
whats the diff in lowered springs and adjustble ones.... what if i lowwered it to a point where its a 2-2.5 inch drop?

dougie_504
02-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Why do you want coilovers? I would not suggest investing in coilovers just to lower your car. You sacrifice plenty of comfort and it's not cheap in terms of lowering.

I think just wait until you can afford coilovers (if you want stiff). But if you just want your car lowered then buy lowered springs.

I wanted stiff and low but ended up farting around trying to get cheaper parts. In the end I just spent the money and got Bilstein coilovers - everything else was a WOTAM.

mugen_ctr
02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
the reason i say dont go for adjustable is that it wasnt designed for the shock length, and host of other troubles, spring rates too hard
One problem one of my mate had was that the spring nearly fell out of its seat! scary

Lowered springs are considered more safer as they use oem struts to seat them in, in terms of drop, ive found that if u go to low, the shocks will die quicker, such as 2 inch drop, 1.5 is fine, but 2 is more likey to shorten its life

Oxer
02-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Adjustable springs on stock/aftermarket shocks can work when installed correctly, but if you're going to do that you're better off getting the full adjustability in a coilover.

The biggest question is do you want to lower your car for handling purposes or for the aesthetics?

Lowering springs will only get you so far, but the ride quality isnt as good as the factory ride quality due to the car limiting the stroke of the shock. A coilover application is much better in terms of the stroke of the shock, but all coilovers are built and designed to be stiffer to aid in the handling of the car. Things like road noise can be increased etc.

Another question anyone should ask themselves is; What am I willing to sacrifice to gain what I want to achieve. Things like suspension modifications can be noisy and not as comfortable, but you cant have it all.

If money is no option, then another avenue is airbag suspension, but thats a different ballpark of legalities and costs.

babiiiiiiiiiii
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
options:

1: buy king spring and lower it (400) set with installation
2: pedden spring , around the same price but bit too tough ,and not really receommanded( 400-600)
3: chop the spring and go whateva low you want , but if that didnt do it properly then whole stock will stuf and its coz major incident ( free)
4: coliover, expensive but its adjuectable and you can go what ever you want and it can be raise up and down ( 1000+)

trism
02-05-2011, 06:38 PM
if youre worried about cost, look at 2nd hand.

quangsuke
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
your shocks will be fine. just make sure u get some bump stops to protect them from bottoming out.
lovells low springs are great for money and quite comfortable.

i miss my old suspension setup (koni shocks, lovell super lows)

Ox is right, depends on what u want from ur car being low.

p.s. im sick of the bumpy rides from coilovers

Lukey
02-05-2011, 07:39 PM
makita one way adjustables

bennjamin
02-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Get option 2. Get it right the first time

And save on install...pm me :)

crobaa
06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
If you want a 2.5" drop I wouldn't recommend lowered springs on stock shocks. They wont stay seated for long. It's not only illegal but everytime you jack your car up you will need to seat the springs properly as you lower it back down. Possibly even over large bumps at speed. I think the law with lowered springs is that when no weight is on the shock the spring can't rattle around.

Lukey
06-05-2011, 08:19 PM
If you want a 2.5" drop I wouldn't recommend lowered springs on stock shocks. They wont stay seated for long. It's not only illegal but everytime you jack your car up you will need to seat the springs properly as you lower it back down.

lolwut

waix
06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
coilovers for sure.

crobaa
07-05-2011, 12:01 AM
lolwut

For a spring to drop a car 2.5" (like he wants) generally when the shock is at full extension the spring will be too small to stay seated at both ends, therefore it can often come loose. I don't know about hondas but most standard shocks don't allow for that much drop. If you jack the car up and the springs aren't compressed at all it's illegal. Not to mention a pretty uncomfortable drive

quangsuke
07-05-2011, 03:33 AM
For a spring to drop a car 2.5" (like he wants) generally when the shock is at full extension the spring will be too small to stay seated at both ends, therefore it can often come loose. I don't know about hondas but most standard shocks don't allow for that much drop. If you jack the car up and the springs aren't compressed at all it's illegal. Not to mention a pretty uncomfortable drive

cars can be lowered 2.5" on stock shocks. they are designed in a way where they compress more under weight but when no weight is applied expand, that way they always stay on the shock.

i think you are talking about 'cut springs' which dont sit on the shocker right and because of the chop u mess up the spring rate causing it to jump off the shocker on a big bump.

crobaa
07-05-2011, 06:51 AM
I think it may depend on the car because I bought king springs 2" drop for my old rx2 and they would come loose on standard struts. Possibly also on the brand of lowering spring

bennjamin
07-05-2011, 08:02 AM
cars can be lowered 2.5" on stock shocks. they are designed in a way where they compress more under weight but when no weight is applied expand, that way they always stay on the shock.

i think you are talking about 'cut springs' which dont sit on the shocker right and because of the chop u mess up the spring rate causing it to jump off the shocker on a big bump.

Mate

Almost any lowering spring will and can come loose in the standard shock perch as it is not captive.

crobaa
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
From experience, alot of standard shocks can take a small drop, around 1" and the spring will stay seated all the time

Ah sorry Benjamin- I thought you had quoted me. Totally agree with your post

mugen_ctr
07-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Kings suck hardcore! they are too soft, when car is fully loaded, the car sinks to much! When pushing around a bend, body roll! even with anti roll bars, they simply dont offer hard enough spring rates.... only positive point id say is the fact that they are progressive spring type, which is comfortable