PDA

View Full Version : threaded/rounded a bolt on rear suspension. safe to drive?

MWAKU
02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
the front half of the bolt is thread. the bolts about 5inches long with say 4 inches threading, and about 1.5-2inches of threading is rounded at the top, the rest is normal.

i put the bolt back in, it screws in, but then stops after the bolt has gone say, 1cm through the washer on the other side. is it safe to drive?

where can i pick up another one of these bolts? wreckers?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d191/slammeddc2teg/CIMG0124.jpg

(i took these pictures off the net, as i forgot to take ones of mine, i put the wheel back on cause im tired and cbf anymore)

so, one side, lets say goes all the way through, but doesn't finish "tightening", it sits all the way, then the other side looks like this

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3194&pictureid=16584

its the bolt that sits in here

http://www.tsobad.com/jtso/Images/TSX%20Lowered/Rear%20shock%20bottom%20mount.JPG

ALSO, on other note, how do i adjust the rear coilovers? the actual coilover is about 5-7inches shorter than the OEM shock, and i can't seem to adjust it so the coilover goes longer? do i adjust the perches that hold the springs lower, to make the car higher, or does this just adjust the spring rates. cause i adjusted the perch at the bottom of the coilover sleeve, but i can't seem to rotate the bottom of the coilover.

trism
02-05-2011, 06:51 PM
So is there a nut on the end of it?

you shouldnt need to screw it through the hole, it should just slip through. As long as the nut goes past the fcuked thread, and onto the good thread, then it should be right. Go to the wreckers, or take it back out, and take it to a proper bolt shop.

munkaii
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I would just take out the bolt and get a new bolt to replace it. I wouldn't want the bolt to slip out under load and have the whole corner suspension half buckle.

With the coilover, the higher you position the perch, the higher the car sits. Spring rate is a property of the spring, changing the height etc. does not change spring rate. If you're adjusting the position of the shock body though that's a different story. Best to ask/take it to someone that knows how to adjust 2way adjustable coilovers.

ricerockets
05-05-2011, 12:24 PM
it all depends on which type of coils you have

i have these type on my CL9 the outside ones are the rears

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs734.ash1/162807_477359572978_535517978_5842920_7565523_n.jp g

to adjust the height on them you first got to loosen the black locking ring, then twist the bottom part that bolts to the car, downwards if you find it hard to twist then you may need to get a vice to give a bit of leverage or alternatively you could bolt it up top and then twist it. also make sure that both spring preloads are equal

theres another type of coilover which doesnt have the bottom locking nut and requires a different method there was a thread pretty recent about it ill see if i can dig it up

MWAKU
05-05-2011, 01:37 PM
yeah thanks for that, i realised how to lower mine, (its teh same as urs) but i think mine are siezed and are proving very difficult too undo. i've put it in a vice grip and tried to spin it with putting a pole in the hole of the 'eye', but it just undoes that part of the coilover (you can untwist the eye part of the shock off). and spinning the otherway did nothing, but tighten that eye up really hard. i was going to undo it and spray wd40 all down the inside of the shock, but now i can't even take the eye part off. ive been soaking it with wd40 ever since to hopefully it will seep down into the thread n losen it. im gunna try later put it in the vice again and use a plumbers wrench to get it undone.

na-118
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Chisel and hammer or use a nut cracker. If your not confident and experienced in using chisel and hammer dont do it

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

MWAKU
05-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I alrdy got the perch loose, i cant get the shock to twist tho

ricerockets
05-05-2011, 03:59 PM
im guessing this all about brute strength now lol

try to see if you can get it undone in the vice or try bolting it up and see how you go from there

good luck