PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

boonta
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi guys,

I have an EK4 and over the weekend i noticed that the clutch required me to press it in all the way for me to change gear. There was no tension what so ever.

I had a look under the hood and noticed that the brake fluid used for the clutch was nearly empty. So I replaced it with Castrol DOT4 brake fluid.

After a couple of pumps with the clutch it looked like everything was ok. However over the past few days when I do a cold start the clutch feels all loose again....I have to press the clutch pedal 10 or so times before theres any tension.

Can anyone help me out as i have no idea what's going on??

Thanks

trism
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
yeah you need to bleed both the slave and the master cylinder. Because you ran it empty, air would have entered the system.

however, it wouldnt just disappear, so youve probably got a leak somewhere.

dougie_504
02-05-2011, 11:29 PM
This thread here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?144855-Clutch-not-engaging) might help you :)

frambo
03-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Dude are you sure you didnt replace the clutch fluid..???..Check under your clutch pedal and most likely there is a leak...you will see liquid resedue If there is. This is your clutch master cylinder.. If there is a leak coming from here you will need a new master cylinder which will cost you about $90 or $100 for a the part from
Honda then labour of you go to a mechanic... Check under the pedal when you get a chance... Sounds like that is the problem to me..

dougie_504
03-05-2011, 12:11 PM
This is the exact problem I had with my Civic, as outlined in the thread I posted above.

I got a new CMC very cheaply from Pick-A-Part and DIY'd it. Not a tough job. Fiddly, but very doable. Read the above thread.

boonta
03-05-2011, 02:37 PM
thanks for all your responses guys...i've read your thread dougie and not sure if i've got the balls to do this. i've been checking for leaks under the hood and under the car (where so far there are no leaks) but didnt know to look under the clutch pedal.

i'll have a look tonight to see if i can spot anything.

i've got the car booked in for a service tmr at honda, so i'll get them to look at it...and i know i'll be stung with a nice bill

dougie_504
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Then DIY dude. I'd never done it before either. Probably saved myself at least $150-200.

Admittedly I hurt my back though, was stuffed for a good week or so lol.