PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen accord lowering

viperx
01-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi all.

Wondering whether anyone has lowered their CD5 1.8'' (45mm) without changing shocks here. Cuz I just bought some espelirs for my accord but havent bought any shocks yet. any chance of bottoming out or the spring popping out? The stock accord shocks have pretty big travel.

Cheers

razaman
02-02-2005, 05:23 AM
I have!

I've been told that the springs will stay captive (without it my car can't get a WOF). Too be honest the right is a little stiffer than stock but not that bad - I'm not using it too race.

I will be buying some aftermarket shocks, only because they will drop the car about another inch. The stock shocks are still in realy good shape and standing proud. In fact if I didn't want to go lower STILL I would keep the stockies and expect to get through this year easily.

I've also never bottomed out - although I've never had 2 adults in the back seat I have had a boot full of shit when we went on holiday and my daughter in the back.

Raz

h22a accord
02-02-2005, 07:47 AM
as a general rule, its always better to do shocks at the same time as the springs. You save money with the labour of only having to pull your suspension apart once.

i used to think my accord handled pretty well compared to other cars, now i have springs and shocks it handles 10 times better than the old setup. I can have full car load and it rides unreal, never bottoms out or floats , no lift off oversteer anymore, no bump steer either.

viperx
13-02-2005, 12:50 AM
h22a accord, how much did u lower though when you did it without shocks?

viperx
13-02-2005, 01:01 AM
and hey razaman, did you get any funny handling characteristics with your 45mm drop (bump/lift off steer etc)?

razaman
13-02-2005, 06:35 AM
and hey razaman, did you get any funny handling characteristics with your 45mm drop (bump/lift off steer etc)?

Nope no problems.

Lovell springs are on the softer side - compared to some "racing" springs.

My car just passed it's first WOF (warrant of fitness) with the suspension setup - so that means the springs stay captive.

Raz

h22a accord
15-02-2005, 08:32 AM
h22a accord, how much did u lower though when you did it without shocks?

i lowered it 30mm with low king springs and replaced the shocks/struts at the same time with monroe gt gas. its not slammed but it noticably lower.

all up cost me $600....i got a really good discount.

ZC_CRX
11-07-2006, 01:00 PM
got ne pics h22a ive got koni reds n custom kamacs and its lowered a considerable amount but last week a blew a tyre and wen i changed the tyre it looks as if it has been rubbing on sumthin cause the inside wall is sredded so im lookin at tryin a different sprin i still want about a a 3" - 3.5" drop.

also do u think that the rubbin may hav been due to the wheel alignment being out?

Cheers

razaman
11-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Are you sure it was rubbing? I'm pretty sure you would have heard it!:eek:

Sounds like you have camber wear. A mate has about the same drop as you on D2's and blew a tyre out on the motorway, his was camber wear. Whole inside was shredded.

Raz

h22a accord
11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
talk about back from the dead ( 17 months ago ) pics of my car are in the appearance/gallery section mate.

razaman
11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I would just like to say I'm still on stock shocks! 1 1/2 years later. Still no signs of them dying.

Raz (though I missed a huge opportunity to pick up a set of used, great condition bilsteins for $150 a couple months ago.:()

ZC_CRX
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
yeh back from tha ded alrite ive been moving house n stuff and couldnt afford my internet but got back on a couple of weeks ago.

um well thats wot im tryin to find out cause i didnt really hear nethin rubbing so maybe it is camber wear which if it is the case is there anything i can do to correct it?

hw do u guys feel about custom kamac springs their low but pretty bouncy just wondering if it is because the springs wernt pre loaded correctly or just because its so low.

if it is the springs ive got prices on king springs low and super low 179 a pair lows drop it 2 - 3cm on stock height and supers drop it 5 - 6cm from stock?

and also i have 17 x 7 enkei rp01 toyo tyres 215/45 zr17. i was wonderin wot is the widest rim i can fit cumfortably. im looking at new tyre and rim package from tempe tyres and all their 17's are 17x7.5 i dnt think i wanna go any bigger then 17's cuz its alredy rollin on rubber bands! lol

i dnt mind a ruff ride but the bitch bounces lol

Cheers

poid
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
you can install a camber correction kit and have the alignment done, you'll probably need to lip the guards if you do this though. Is it the front or rear tyre that you wore out? I am guessing front, and in that case you may want to get an alignment done first. If the toe is out it can cause considerable wear, worse than the wear caused by negative camber.

i used very low kmac's and they were great. I ordered them much stiffer than they normally come though. They werent captive either, i doubt thats your issue.

7.5" wide isnt a problem, just get the right offset. in fact 8" wide is fine too.

ZC_CRX
11-07-2006, 10:50 PM
yeh it was the front tyre but it looks as though sum one has run a razor blade around the inside wall of the right tyre!

okay cool thanks poid wen i get my new wheels or just tyres ill get a wheel alignment and see if that helps

i cant rememba wot rate i got my k-macs im pretty sure it was 60% stiffer but my car is on its nuts i cant fit my finger between the wheel and guard at the rear and its like half a finger at the front but it looks awesome soo low so i dnt really wanna compromise that if i can get away with it.

i dnt really scrape anywher cept for my mudflaps wen i go into my garage!

I am also wondering if a camber kit will help? and wher and hw much one would be?

heres a pic!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/cord_94/019.jpg

Cheers