PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use/know how to use : Paddle Shifters?

I CU2
03-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Does anyone here actually use the Paddle Shifters on the Auto Euros?

How do you use them, are they just like a clutchless manual?

tiksie
03-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Pretty much.

MingZai
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey, I've used the Honda Jazz Paddle Shifters (essential the same thing) and I drive a 04 Accord Euro and I've always used the tiptronic transmission. Like you said it's just manual without the clutch and I use to to save fuel or when I want to activate VTECH ;). I believe you activate it either by just pressing it in drive or sports mode (not sure if the new euro has it)

I CU2
03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Yep, Drive and Sports.

Sorry for being a noob, but wth does VTEC actually do?

lysp
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
When in auto, using the paddles temporarily shifts them up/down a gear when you click it.

Eg. To overtake you might click it down a gear and then overtake the car. It'll go back into auto-mode on it's own.

In sports mode (S), you need to click the paddles once to change it to manual mode (you will get an M next to your gear on the console).

After that you will be driving a manual until you switch it back into auto gear.

If you come to a stop in manual mode, it'll automatically change back to first for you so you dont stall.

Also if you try to change into a gear that you cant, the gear will flash on the console and not change (ie. changing to first gear at 100k/h).

I CU2
03-05-2011, 03:30 PM
What happens if I don't change from a gear 1 and go to like 80km/hr. Does it upgear by itself if I forget?

buddah51au
03-05-2011, 04:27 PM
In sports mode it won't upshift or downshift on it's own, the driver is in full control, even if you want to have it sitting on the rev limiter all day. Just treat S mode as a 4 speed manual operated by the paddles. In normal mode you can still use paddles for downshifting or upshifting, but it will revert to full auto mode once you stop using the paddles. Try reading your handbook.

I CU2
03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Try reading your handbook.

Read it, wanted to know other peoples experiences about it.

So can you actually stall the car in S mode?

MingZai
03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is a valvetrain system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. This system uses two camshaft profiles and electronically selects between the profiles. Essentialy you can think it as... when VTEC mode is activated by going beyond its activation RPM (Correct me if I'm wrong) it's like you entering M mode on a BMW M vehicle. Essentially the vehicles true power potential is restricted but once entering VTEC, or M mode the engines true potential comes out.

No you can't as it automatically downshifts for you... BUT if you are on first gear (on S Mode) it is possible to rev up to your rev limit if you don't switch gears. You have to move gears up and down yourself (well it can automatically down shift for you but you would like to pretend it's a full manual car ;) ). Just pretend it's a manual without a clutch.

MingZai
03-05-2011, 10:19 PM
sorry for double post ==

I CU2
03-05-2011, 11:31 PM
What's the RPM range that VTEC will kick in?

MingZai
04-05-2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?134003-CU2-2.4-Vtec
I have the CL9 and for me it's 6k RPM

natnat
04-05-2011, 12:21 AM
i find the paddle shifters in my CU2 not so responsive because it's a conventional auto, so i rarely use them, hence drive in in D 90% of the time. But i drive the DSG in manual mode using both paddles and the stick in VW 90% of the time cos it's much more responsive and has 6 speeds.

MingZai
04-05-2011, 01:33 AM
DSG *drools* mann VW's tiptronic is a beauty, seriously no need for manual... looking into a golf r :p