PDA

View Full Version : VIC NSW to VIC registration

fillit
04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi guys,

I found a car I wish to purchase, it's in melbourne atm with NSW rego as he lives there. What are the process in order to transfer it to VIC registration? is it just RWC + Vicroads inspection and have him cancel his NSW rego.

Kind Regards,
Phil

Symphorced
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
s it just RWC + Vicroads inspection and have him cancel his NSW rego.

Pretty much.

- Get RWC
- Cancel NSW rego and get refund
- Go get Vic rego

Don't even need Vicroads inspection.

fillit
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
what paperwork do i need?

is it just the standard vicroads transfer of ownership form needed? or will i need the RTA one aswell? or what relative paper work will i need?

Symphorced
04-05-2011, 11:06 PM
what paperwork do i need?

is it just the standard vicroads transfer of ownership form needed? or will i need the RTA one aswell? or what relative paper work will i need?

Only going by what others have said so I'm not 100% sure. I've heard that only a receipt is needed as it's not a transfer of rego due to it being an entirely new registration (the NSW one being cancelled already). But to be safe, best to call up Vicroads to ask.

fillit
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
okay confirmed with vicroads

to re register a vehicle from interstate you will require a receipt with:

Name
Address
Make
Model
Vin/Engine numbers

theres a 4% stamp duty

victorian rwc

and the car may need to be inspected if there is anything on the database ( i'm assuming defects/epa etc.)

the car should be kept on NSW plates until victorian plates are issued and a receipt is provided for the refund of registration from RTA.

jdm_b16a
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Don't the Roads people send the plates back to the issuing state?

I did the reverse. I bought a car in Victoria, then cancelled the registration here in Sydney (after it ran out). Sydney collected the plates and sent them back to Melbourne. I got a Blue Slip, paid the CTP, then registered it. The registration took effect from the day I registered here not the original Victorian rego date.

Peter

fillit
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Yep, that's exactly what they told me, they take the plates back and give me a receipt ( i assume they send them back to NSW).

The rego starts on the day I register the car in VIC and the NSW rego gets cancelled on that day.

Confirmed : Vicroads inspection not required.

crobaa
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I once bought a car from Adelaide and had it rego'd in Melbourne. You just need a rwc, and a inspection at vicroads to confirm all the numbers

egb16b
15-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Would this also be the same if a car were to come from qld to melbourne??

crobaa
16-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Yes. Unless they've changed the rules in the past 18months

zco
17-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Go buy the car, do the rta paperwork. Take it back to your state. Go to your roads authority And adivese you bought vehicle from interstate .

They will take your plates, cancel your interstate rego. Give you the Victorian plates and register your plates as of that day. Your old plates will be sent back to the appropriate state, and ergo will be cancelled and refunded to you via cheque in mail