PDA

View Full Version : SPOON Wheels VS VOLKS TE37

cusco echo
01-02-2005, 10:06 PM
which one would u guys choose?
anyone had them? can any of u give me some comments on them
currently thinking of getting either spoon or the te37, which ones do u guys perfer?
which ones is stronger? i know the spoon should be lighter...
and which one looks better on a ek civic?
and if u guys after these wheels which set will u get?:D

faijai
01-02-2005, 10:07 PM
so over rateds both of em

but on ek i'ld say go for spoon!

Chi
01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Rota Slipstreams

LAGOOT
01-02-2005, 10:22 PM
i agree with faijai.. go the spoon wheels

cusco echo
01-02-2005, 10:32 PM
but dont u guys think te37 is more popular wheels?

CTR Coupe
01-02-2005, 10:34 PM
so over rateds both of em

Both these wheels are so over used now. Try to find something a bit more unique(still in the JDM style)

Rota Slipstreams

These are the cheaper copies of the spoon items. Great quality wheels at a good price. Probably what I would get if I was interested in these wheels.

Probably go the Spoon (or rotas) if it had to be one of the two.

EKVTIR-T
01-02-2005, 10:36 PM
So you choose wheels by popularity? :confused:

type one
01-02-2005, 10:56 PM
ask yourselves why these rims are so "overused" cos they are ****en good rims... this is why...

I dun think i have seen one car in Melbourne with GENUINE spoon rims... plenty of rota's around but these are just a poor, cheap copy...sorry to disappoint anyone with rota's - yes they do the job of fooling your average joe riceboy BUT lightweight rims are designed for one purpose - reduce unsprung weight and therefore give u more feel/feedback from a less powerful engine... i have a set of regamaster rims on my EG and they have changed the way the whole car moves and accelerates...

please ask yourself if you want rims for pure riceboy looks or to fulfil their specific function as well.

As for which one is stronger, they are both forged so they are BOTH very strong rims...

joneblaze
01-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Mate people in the US and Phillipines etc use Rotas (slipstreams in most cases) for AutoX, Autokharna style driving. This is because not only are they damn good value for money, they also hold up to hard driving. Noone is claiming they are lighter nor stronger than fully sick JDM forged genuine wheels, but certainly for a fraction of the price they will more than serve the purpose for most of us here, enabling us to save more funds for other mods AND they look good.

JDM snobs, it's nuts. "JDM y0" my ass. If two products compare in similar light, with the strongest exception being price, then use your head. Return on Investment mate.

type one
01-02-2005, 11:19 PM
haahahahaha each to their own eh?

similar light?? i think your argument should be that people have different priorities, which i think was my exact point.

dun give me a ROI argument cos we all know that this doesn't hold water... i pay 2000 for a set of rims, then i sell them for 1200

i buy a set of 1000 rims and sell them for 600*

you tell me what the difference is here??

*these figures are based on my "conservative" estimates cos i am sure we all know that forged rims will have a higher resale value than their copied borthers.

JDM Snob... hhahahaha - if there weren't any JDM snobs, where would we get our inspiration to create copies?

|N|
01-02-2005, 11:21 PM
wat ever u get... make sure they r in top quality ... coz after all tyres and rims r like the only thing that connects ur car to the road... and ofcoz the lighter/stronger the better...

r|Ce_bOi
01-02-2005, 11:24 PM
why not go something a little more different than these 2 particular rims mentioned...
if i had the chance.. i would get a set of Advan RG in yellow/gold

They look HOT !!! and are roughly the same price as the 2 other rims you mentioned.

What size are you looking at getting though ?

If its function you are looking for and not style, you cant go past 15" for these type of rims.. 16" would be stretching.. probably the best compromise for either (function/style) :)

But aswell if you do get either of these rims, PLEASE and I mean PLEASE... !!!! dont skimp on shit tyres... it doesnt do the wheels justice

[stealth]
01-02-2005, 11:25 PM
TE37s will always rule!... get em..

for red EK is it?

Perry
01-02-2005, 11:51 PM
how does the spoon wheel look like sorry guys?

kenshin
01-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Work Emotion CR
-_-

too bad i cant get 'em 4x113

r|Ce_bOi
02-02-2005, 12:00 AM
how does the spoon wheel look like sorry guys?

the rims are exactly like BADHBT's rims

andreqo
02-02-2005, 12:10 AM
spoon all the way

cusco echo
02-02-2005, 12:47 AM
1st of all i am not here to start a argument here.....:rolleyes:

anyway any spec of the Rota Slipstreams wheels? i am not going to buy them, but i just want their specs so that i wont get them thinking they are genuine spoon wheels..

afterall, i am looking at wheels that are strong / tough and light in weight as i am going to use them on track not for road use (i know if i put them on the car, the wheels or the whole car will be stolen just like that:( )

and as type one mentioned which one have more resale value/market for them, as i know i will need to sell them one day when i upgrade to a 5 studs dc2r:D

oh btw i am looking at 15x6.5 or 15x7

cusco echo
02-02-2005, 12:54 AM
btw the spoon look like this for ppl who dont know what they looks like
http://www.spoon.jp/images/lineup/008_02.jpg
and the te37.....
http://rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/datas/VOLK/01_TE37/02.JPG
but again i am not going for the looks, light weight and toughness is what i m after, might also want resale market and value...:D

02-02-2005, 12:36 PM
go chck out the RAYS wheels website... so much more choice.. not only get light weight but get ones your happie with style and prac...

but by wat your saying.. go for the best value one. less $$$ for more quality

m2h
02-02-2005, 12:45 PM
dont know if anyone knwo where to get them but the Weds Sport SA-90 is very nice :D just wondering where i able to source them in aus http://www.weds.co.jp/products/wedssport/sa90.html

cusco echo
02-02-2005, 01:17 PM
if i go for wedsports i would take the tc005
http://www.toms-trd.com.hk/upload/TC005-YELLOW.jpg
nice aint it?

z3lda
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
I like the spoon sw388's cuz they dont stand out and oem looking, but hell they are FUGLY!!!!

dun give me a ROI argument cos we all know that this doesn't hold water... i pay 2000 for a set of rims, then i sell them for 1200

i buy a set of 1000 rims and sell them for 600*

you tell me what the difference is here??

*these figures are based on my "conservative" estimates cos i am sure we all know that forged rims will have a higher resale value than their copied borthers.

difference is u lose out more on the more expensive rims then the el cheapo ones

eknine
02-02-2005, 01:38 PM
there is nothing like "best bang for buck" because you pay for what you get.

think abt it this way, rotas -> cost less, te37, cost more.

if you ever own a te37 brand spanking new, you will know why you are paying so much more.

by spraying rotas in black, it look like spoon rims. so if you want spoon, buy rotas.
it is the same like saying how many people discover "vision" from spoon. *i don't think anyone know who started all this all vision-spoon thing in australia* <kekekeke>

this thread is abt spoon and te37 so why talk abt other rims , stick to the subject.

bennjamin
02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
this thread is abt spoon and te37 so why talk abt other rims , stick to the subject.

:thumbsup:

Keep replies related to Spoon and te37's guys.
The thread starter wants our opinion upon these two rims ! Thats all.

Brescia
02-02-2005, 01:50 PM
JDM snobs, it's nuts. "JDM y0" my ass. If two products compare in similar light, with the strongest exception being price, then use your head. Return on Investment mate.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ROTA Make good wheels, there have been no complaints.

Genuine SPOON, VOLK, all the fully jdm wheels are for serious people who are biulding a car for the track.
Biulding a proper car for the track is alot of money invested.

If the car is your daily driver, and your not a millionaire - dont spend that much on wheels. :thumbdwn:

similar light?? i think your argument should be that people have different priorities, which i think was my exact point.

Click here (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

i have a set of regamaster rims on my EG and they have changed the way the whole car moves and accelerates...

Is this on a track, or around your block?
And even on a track, there wont be any drastic changes at all

I think some people have been hanging around hater-tech too long

all in all,
if your trying to cut 10ths of seconds off your time on a track , go the spoons :thumbsup:

tonmasi
02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
SPOON OF COZ..:thumbsup: to me is unique (if u get the real ones):rolleyes:

Perry
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
the rims are exactly like BADHBT's rims

thanks dude:thumbsup:

type one
02-02-2005, 04:09 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ROTA Make good wheels, there have been no complaints.

Genuine SPOON, VOLK, all the fully jdm wheels are for serious people who are biulding a car for the track.
Biulding a proper car for the track is alot of money invested.

If the car is your daily driver, and your not a millionaire - dont spend that much on wheels. :thumbdwn:

Click here (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

Is this on a track, or around your block?
And even on a track, there wont be any drastic changes at all

I think some people have been hanging around hater-tech too long

all in all,
if your trying to cut 10ths of seconds off your time on a track , go the spoons :thumbsup:

you're full of it man... have you even tried drving a car with a 1.6 with two different weighted rims? not just about track times or straight line speed, the car feels and handles better (more feedback and more agility if this could be used to explain a car's movement), overall it is more responsive and has better turn in characteristics than a car with heavier wheels...

don't comment if u have no idea... i don't claim to be an internet mechanic - i offer my opinion based on my experiences which is what i think the original poster was after.

r|Ce_bOi
02-02-2005, 04:49 PM
you're full of it man... have you even tried drving a car with a 1.6 with two different weighted rims? not just about track times or straight line speed, the car feels and handles better (more feedback and more agility if this could be used to explain a car's movement), overall it is more responsive and has better turn in characteristics than a car with heavier wheels...

don't comment if u have no idea... i don't claim to be an internet mechanic - i offer my opinion based on my experiences which is what i think the original poster was after.

i can definitely back you up there type one.

i have dc2r and have only upgraded the wheels on my car and nothing else.
after changing from OEM rims and tyres to a set of forged te-37s with a larger tyre size (205/50/15) larger in width than OEM, the handling and feel of the car is alot more responsive around turns and acceleration. :D

i got these rims on my car because i wanted to go forwards and not backwards in performance. i did contemplate on going 1 inch bigger but thought this may affect the car, it may look good but had a feeling the car wouldnt handle as good unless i upgraded the sussy at the same time.

so far these rims were worth the money i spent, and was a wise modification, i've never regretted it. :thumbsup:

ginganggooly
02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
i don't particularly feel like trawling through honda-tech for the thread, but i did read something about spoon rims being soft and being buckled by larger pot holes, never heard anything but praise for the te37's.

re: the rota's, there are quite a few horror stories out there about them breaking off at the hub and so forth. enough to make me not buy a set anyway. i've seen other cheap wheels break at wakefield, so i'm not gain to try driving around on those sorts of components... it's a bit like driving on re-treads imo.

wheels are one instance where i'd be inclined to say stick to oem, or expensive aftermarket...

wlee2
02-02-2005, 06:48 PM
i like both.. but i have TE37s ^_^.. neone for a swap ^_^...

eknine
02-02-2005, 07:48 PM
if you are swaying toward rotas , i say spend a lil more and buy the rega;)

cusco echo
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
1st of all, the ones i want and always talking about is spoon NOT rota... and no way near it... the only thing next to spoon that i would want is rega which is exactly the same as spoon (toughness/weight/price)except the colour (which doesnt botter me)

and what type one said is exactly right, and thats the point for this question i am asking here, there is no way that i will buy copies, cos i have seen them break just like that... if i dont have the money i will stick to factory wheels (even thou they are not that strong)

and the other thing is i have saved enough money for a set of those wheels (saved for long long time), so money is not the matter in this case ONLY... (i am always poor)
or should i say i know what u pay is what u get, and i know what i want... its for track work, i wont be using such expensive wheels on street, even i take extreme care for them, the wheels or the whole car could be stolen within a day or two...

btw i have heard the te37 are not that strong on the track, and i have seen some buckled te37s when they go over the edge of the corners (the apexi point with red and white coloured, if u know what i mean) but maybe spoon is rarer so i dont hear they buckle or anything...

CTR Coupe
03-02-2005, 01:56 AM
The great thing about forged wheels if you dent them most of the time they can be repaired. A machine shop can roll it out. My friend practically destroyed one of his WORK wheels and the machine shop made it good as new.

cusco echo
05-02-2005, 12:54 PM
how bad was the wheel?

CTR Coupe
05-02-2005, 01:30 PM
it was really bad. had like a section that was pushed into the center in the shape of a curb. .but had no cracks in it.

cusco echo
05-02-2005, 06:01 PM
any pics?
and would a forged crack?
so if there is a crack, then can it still be fixed?