PDA

View Full Version : vtec solenoid

bumpy1
02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
hi guys/girls

i just have a question regarding the vtec solenoid (i think its the thing thats activates the switching point from low to high cams for vtecs or something that kicks the vtec in)

i drove my frendz vti coupe and felt no vtec wat so eva. The powerband just revved like a normal car with no vtec rush at all. I was just wondering if it were possible to take out the solenoid and put it into a dc2 vtir as this is what i think the previous owner might have done? if so, would taking out the solenoid affect the vtec in any way?

i used to have a eg gli hatch and i have driven all types of civics (eg vei, eg vti, ek vtir, em1 vti-r (my current car),dcr vti-r and even a s2000... wish it were mine! :p), and my frends coupe drives like my old gli hatch. i thought it would go hard but it just didnt feel right and im thinking its due to this solenoid.

any info would be great!

|N|
02-02-2005, 02:10 AM
those vti coupes r only soho... dun expect too much ... main purpose is to save fuel

Weq
02-02-2005, 09:35 AM
no its still there, i assure u.. stock vtec in a stock sohc is not really noticeable.

wynode
02-02-2005, 09:57 AM
no its still there, i assure u.. stock vtec in a stock sohc is not really noticeable.
Yup!

Changing the solenoid will not do anything.

bumpy1
03-02-2005, 12:25 AM
thanks for the info guys. even tho changing of the solenoid might not affect it, driving it felt really like my 95 1.5l gli hatch. whereas driving a 94 vti sedan did give it that vtec kick. just seems weird. either way my friends car is getting serviced and looked at so we'll see if there are any probs. :)

Spoon-Accord
03-02-2005, 07:40 AM
well u can alwayz check.. just remove the filter outta the box.. give it a run..
if u hear any sound pitch changing from the filter.. means the VTEC is kicking..
if all u hear is engine straining and no induction noise.. meaning ur solenoid is dead.. or not connected :D

Ken

tinkerbell
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
no check engine lights?

no problems.

Weq
03-02-2005, 11:20 AM
thanks for the info guys. even tho changing of the solenoid might not affect it, driving it felt really like my 95 1.5l gli hatch. whereas driving a 94 vti sedan did give it that vtec kick. just seems weird. either way my friends car is getting serviced and looked at so we'll see if there are any probs. :)

Are u sure it was a VTEC model? VTEC was an option for the VTi sedans, plenty only have SOHC's in em.

tinkerbell
03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
you mean "non-VTEC SOHC" Weq?

wynode
03-02-2005, 10:26 PM
you mean "non-VTEC SOHC" Weq?
Yeah.

Make sure the motor actually has a VTEC soloenoid.

Kandy
03-02-2005, 11:12 PM
He is talking about my car.
It has the d16y8 which is sohc vtec T_T

EJ8COOP
07-02-2005, 02:20 PM
You Usually Will Only Notice It Change Over
On A Hill Or With Alot Of Load On It,
As Weg Said Not Very Noticable On Sohc