PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or gearbox bearing noise, need help diagnosing.

FastFwd
07-05-2011, 02:36 PM
So basically in the last 2 weeks Ive started having a noisy tranny. I dont think its my Clutch bearing but i cant be sure. So here are the symptoms atm.

I have no noise whilst parked, either in gear, clutch in or out of gear with clutch out. No noise there what so ever so that's where I'm currently ruling out the clutch master bearing.

I have no noise Rolling with the clutch in or out whilst in gear and i have no noise rolling with the clutch out in neutral.

The noise occurs when im in gear accelerating. Every time i put pressure/torque to the gearbox it makes a bearing "SHHHHH" noise. The more pressure/torque i put to it the louder it is. So in the lower gears where there is more torque like 1st or 2nd its becoming quite loud. Almost as loud as a external waste gate screamer pipe. In say 4th or 5th on the freeway its not as noticeable.

Theres 3 main bearing in the gearbox that i can think of. The main Diff bearing, and the 2 bearing that are on the gear shaft in the box. one on the bottom side and the one on the top side which has that annoying clip that you need to remove to take the box apart.

Very old pic of my box for example.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/25042009059.jpg

FastFwd
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Another thing i want to know is, is it causing issues with my box if i continue to drive it? At the moment i feel no difference in power, performance or handling. Just making a noise really.

bennjamin
07-05-2011, 03:03 PM
id say input shaft bearing. Its the usual thing to go - and in time others with it as they fill with metallic debris and extra load put on them.
BTW there is about 7 bearings off the top of my head. 2 located in the housing , 2 on the differential and the other 3 on the shafts.

FastFwd
07-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Input shaft bearing is that annoying a$$ one with the clip to pull apart the box right?

Yeah i know there are a few more bearing than 3 but the main 3 i know are those.

Replacing all major bearing very expensive? If im going to replace this one i might as well do all of them when the box is apart. Maybe not my Mfactory LSD one but the rest yer.

bennjamin
07-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Isb sits in the housing just pressed in and out.
You should tear down the
Entire box and clean and inspect while its apart. If you do it yourself and replace parts its not as expensive as you'd think. But pay someone else and you would need 1500-2500$ to get a
Full overhaul incl bearings synchros clean up etc etc and ofcourse labour

FastFwd
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
ill pull appart in a few weeks, 3rd gear synchro needs replacing cos its a little filthy in and out of 3rd. Gonna call honda up tomorrow and order in all the bearing etc.

So the isb needs to be pressed in and out? cant just do it by hand?

bennjamin
10-05-2011, 07:52 PM
you can pop it out with an extension from the clutch housing side and just tap tap tap it out , then grab a socket the same size as the OUTER casing of the new input shaft bearing - rub some oil on the outside - then place it flat in its housing place the socket on the outer rim and either slowly tap tap the outer edge around constantly , or grab a flat piece of wood and use that as a damper as you hit it with a larger faced mallet. Take care.