PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers for Dc5r

neil1112
07-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi guys,

I know this has been covered a million times, but need advice on which coilover would be best suited for my dc5r. My budget is 900-1400. It will be mainy for daily driving and at times taking corners, so I want something with more comfort to it rather than a bumpy ride.

I was leaning towards to teins SS or flex coilovers because they are generally comfortable, reliable and are pretty solid. Also from what other people have said , these are quality coilovers. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I have been advised that BC is quite good as well.

So which coilovers do you guys recommend taking into account the above factors? Please also share your experiences and pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.

muzukashi
07-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Teins > BC in my experience, had BC before on DC5R i didn't like it didn't have that overall solid feeling

Running Tein monoflexes on my EP3 these are great pick them over the BC anyday, they're really solid but be prepared to feel the slightest bump/light markings/pothole/shit roads but they are coilovers so going to expect it haha

neil1112
08-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah I remember someone selling me that Tein monoflex are really good for track. I saw the price of these and way beyond my budget lol, but thanks for sharing man.
What do u think of Tein flex? I know they're discontinued so not sure if it is worth looking out for.

Mikecivic78
10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
It will be mainy for daily driving and at times taking corners, so I want something with more comfort to it rather than a bumpy ride.

If you want comfort, get a decent spring/shock combo. Well within your budget and you can have performance and comfort in one.

You have no chance of getting comfort from coilovers in your price range.

check out Koni or Tokico for shocks and for springs King/Eibach/HR etc...

.k.
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
I run Tein SS on my R and I love them. They are so comfortable to drive on the streets, and can perform when you need them to. I'd definitely recommend them for a street/daily application.

p33r
11-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Koni/Eibach combo here on a DC5S.. practically as comfortable as stock and damper adjustable - highly recommended. I would stick with a quality shock/spring combo if comfort is your main priority and you don't want to completely dump your ride height. I do kinda regret not getting coilovers sometimes though as I start leaning to a more performance orientated build.

Mikecivic78
11-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Koni/Eibach combo here on a DC5S.. practically as comfortable as stock and damper adjustable - highly recommended. I would stick with a quality shock/spring combo if comfort is your main priority and you don't want to completely dump your ride height. I do kinda regret not getting coilovers sometimes though as I start leaning to a more performance orientated build.

you could always keep the Konis and go with more performance orientated springs. It's cost effective as well.

p33r
11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I have thought about that but would it put this combo on the level of mid-tier level coilovers while retaining a similar level of comfort?

What springs would you recommend as an improvement, need similar ride height to eibach pro kits.

edit: also i'm pretty sure i have an issue with hitting the bumpstops with my current setup. would getting stiffer springs resolve this?

.k.
11-05-2011, 12:53 PM
^i think it would set you up on the same level as an entry level coilover.

@mike: just out of curiosity, how much would you expect to pay for a performance orientated shock/spring combo for a dc5 application?

Mikecivic78
11-05-2011, 01:12 PM
^i think it would set you up on the same level as an entry level coilover.

@mike: just out of curiosity, how much would you expect to pay for a performance orientated shock/spring combo for a dc5 application?

Heres what ebay quotes, that's where I bought my Konis from (USA) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KONI-YELLOW-SPORT-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SET-02-06-RSX-DC5-/190458657027?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c58387903 $700 for shocks. I like them, damper adjustable and slightly height adjustable too.

and $300 for Eibachs : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EIBACH-LOWERING-SPRINGS-PRO-KIT-05-06-Acura-RSX-/330556931538?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf6ba7dd2
...pro kit are not too performance orientated, so maybe you could get stiffer springs for $400 incl. shipping. Here's Sportline just for comparison: http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=rsx+eibach+sportline&_sacat=0&LH_AvailTo=15&_dmpt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=rsx+HR+springs&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I'm sure you get the idea. Other brands are comparable, around 700 for shocks and 3-400 for springs. Or get a combo deal for less maybe even.

Just DIY (it's easy and saves 400 bucks), get a wheel alignment and ur set.

What springs would you recommend as an improvement, need similar ride height to eibach pro kits.

edit: also i'm pretty sure i have an issue with hitting the bumpstops with my current setup. would getting stiffer springs resolve this?

Skunk2 sport are similar to Eibach pro kit with regards to height and comfort. Google away until u find springs for ur application.

BTW, what is your current setup? why are you bottoming out?

p33r
11-05-2011, 06:35 PM
My current setup is exactly that, koni yellows with eibach pro kit. I dont know, I just feel a slight rubbing/clunking going over speedbumps. Not sure what it is.

Are you on the same setup? Would u know if any trimming of bumpstops is required for such a drop? I'll search around for stiffer springs thx

Mikecivic78
11-05-2011, 07:49 PM
My current setup is exactly that, koni yellows with eibach pro kit. I dont know, I just feel a slight rubbing/clunking going over speedbumps. Not sure what it is.

Are you on the same setup? Would u know if any trimming of bumpstops is required for such a drop? I'll search around for stiffer springs thx

Yes I have the same setup on my EM1, Pro Kit and Koni yellow.

I cut the bumpstops down by a 3rd when I did the install. That's why you are bottoming out, you didn't cut them.

I get creaking noise on mine, but only on sharp angle and downhill turns. Speedbumps are fine. Check your bushes, they should be replaced when installing suspension IMO. Mine has 195K on the clock and overall it isn't too bad at all. The noise is only from the front, and during my install i noticed that the rear bushes (rear is fine) had been done at some stage by the previous owner.

p33r
11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
ah ok. i don't know if bumpstops were trimmed, i got it done by wholesale suspension so i assumed they knew what they were doing. if i trim the bumpstops, will it affect the ride height or anything else in the future? any idea how much I need to trim in a DC5?

i get the creaking sometimes too in the same situations but i had it before i installed the konis, lot of people have looked at it and concluded it's simply the chassis.

which bushes do you recommend and how would it affect anything if I left them as it is?

thanks for the info it's quite helpful. sorry for all the nub questions and to the op for the hijacking the thread ;)

Mikecivic78
11-05-2011, 09:16 PM
ah ok. i don't know if bumpstops were trimmed, i got it done by wholesale suspension so i assumed they knew what they were doing. if i trim the bumpstops, will it affect the ride height or anything else in the future? any idea how much I need to trim in a DC5?

i get the creaking sometimes too in the same situations but i had it before i installed the konis, lot of people have looked at it and concluded it's simply the chassis.

which bushes do you recommend and how would it affect anything if I left them as it is?

thanks for the info it's quite helpful. sorry for all the nub questions and to the op for the hijacking the thread ;)

Trimming bumpstops won't affect your height at all, but it'll give you more shock travel so you won't bottom out. trim about 1/3 for modest drop and cut them in half for a low drop.

My creaking only started after I installed the new suspension. I wouldnt say it's the chassis. Bushes most likely or improper seating of the springs. Re-install with lubrication might fix it if it's the shocks and springs.

For bushes I recommend OEM. They might resolve your problems and they definitely will improve the overall handling of the car. Only problem is they are a bitch to change and it'll cost a bit.

WATAJK
14-05-2011, 09:56 PM
You pay more for TEIN as IMO, they are a much better brand then BC & BuddyClub.
I've heard of nightmares with BC & Buddyclub but then again BuddyClub N+1 is good bang for buck atm....
Really its up to you in your decision but i think TeinSS would be fine for your needs.

dlai5552
15-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Just go with Buddyclub N+ or Tein SS. However, tein IMO are not for street balling. They tend to be quite stiff compared to most other coilovers in my experience, but are definitely a good all rounder for the occasional track days. Usually the N+ are much preferred for the streets due to how low it goes and it's how soft they can be.

r3ckless
15-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd go with Tein SS or the buddy club N+ ... Out of those two, i'd choose the Tein SS as it has camber tops (im pretty sure lol), I know the N+ doesnt, but I think the N+ has stiffer spring rates too!

I hoenstly think a "decent quality" shock'spring combo is a waste. They just arent bang for buck IMO, if u want it for the street, obviously one thing that comes to mind is a good look and that comes with a lower looking car, hence why coilovers have height adjustibility.

Imagine going for a shock/spring combo only realising ohh, that wasnt that much of a drop, or it was too much, with coilovers, u have that option.

Im also sure the Tein SS is cheaper than the buddy club n+ also?

Mikecivic78
15-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Decent spring/shocks combo > cheap coilovers

Imagine going for a shock/spring combo only realising ohh, that wasnt that much of a drop, or it was too much,

If this happens, you have been a fool and haven't done your research on how low your new springs will go.

In the case of Konis, they have some height adjustment as you can use lower prerches on the shock. And there's always ground control coilover sleeves available for them if you want better height adjustment.

chargeR
15-05-2011, 03:43 PM
In the case of Konis, they have some height adjustment as you can use lower prerches on the shock. And there's always ground control coilover sleeves available for them if you want better height adjustment.

Good advice. However there are no perches on a Koni shock for the front of the DC5 so whatever height you get from a lowering spring at the front you are stuck with, and regardless I think overall GCs are a better option for the DC5 on Konis because it seems like most lowering springs for the chassis make the car too low for their rates, as evidenced by p33r's experience. So some GC sleeves with rates a bit higher than most lowering springs would be a good choice as long as you keep the ride height pretty reasonable. Say 350-400lb/in front and 500-550lb/in rear.

Saying this though I have no first hand experience with Koni dampers in the DC5 chassis so I have no idea if they work well but a lot of track guys on ClubRSX like them as long as ride height is kept fairly high.

p33r
15-05-2011, 05:11 PM
^Agree, since the Konis are insert intothe stock struts, their application seems work well for anything under 1.5inches of lowering otherwise they seem to blow. I heard their newer yellows revised in 08(?) handle the DC5 chassis a lot better but still wouldn't go lower than what's recommended. Unfortunately my eibach pro-kit, which are meant to drop 1.0" front/1.4" rear seem more like a 2" drop overall so I think that's why I'm often hitting the bumpstops.

Anthony38
16-05-2011, 06:31 PM
When referring to GC sleeves, are you talking about these: http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=508/CA=76

I have decided to get Koni Yellows once I find them at the right price and I am in the process in finding what to accompany them with. I think I read somewhere you can even set the spring rates which I have no idea what would be most suitable. Anyone know the OEM springs rate for DC5R, as I am after a little more firmer ride and ride height a little bit lower than stock.

I figure its best suits me to do shocks and spring combo as I am a daily driver instead of getting a coilover set which I have read very often