PDA

View Full Version : [cl9] new exhaust next week!

05accordeuro
11-05-2011, 02:45 PM
G'day everyone!

Next week I will be heading down to Rob Bliss Exhaust at Geebung to get my new diff-back exhaust system! Im so keen to hear what it will sound like!

I will post a video of how it sounds once it is done!

Anyway, until then, peace! :honda:

10KRPM
11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
you still sticking with the dual muffler design or going single?

Fredoops
11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
G'day everyone!

Next week I will be heading down to Rob Bliss Exhaust at Geebung to get my new diff-back exhaust system! Im so keen to hear what it will sound like!

I will post a video of how it sounds once it is done!

Anyway, until then, peace! :honda:

Diff back? So you are keeping the restrictive factory 4-1 header?

05accordeuro
11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Diff back? So you are keeping the restrictive factory 4-1 header?

the after market headers I was quoted were 4 to 1 anyway. plus they didnt show me enough kw gain for the price, not to mention fuel economy.

05accordeuro
11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
you still sticking with the dual muffler design or going single?

and yeah mate, still sticking with the dual mufflers, new tips also :)

Fredoops
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
the after market headers I was quoted were 4 to 1 anyway. plus they didnt show me enough kw gain for the price, not to mention fuel economy.

Which header did they quote you? And isn't diff back exclusively for turbo cars?

mikey72
11-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow, read the last thread. Can't believe you still think this is the way to go. What is the point of running a bigger system half way back? You're still gonna have the restriction of the front half let alone the factory headers.

It's a well known fact that getting an Intake, Header or Exhaust upgrade will show you little gains alone. But all three is where the magic happens.

I know you think this guy is good because he has been doing it for 30 years, but things have changed man..

Fredoops
11-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow, read the last thread. Can't believe you still think this is the way to go. What is the point of running a bigger system half way back? You're still gonna have the restriction of the front half let alone the factory headers.

It's a well known fact that getting an Intake, Header or Exhaust upgrade will show you little gains alone. But all three is were the magic happens.

I know you think this guy is good because he has been doing it for 30 years, but things have changed man..

What he said.

05accordeuro
11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
What's with all the negative attitude dudes? I was just going by what I was advised from what I asked. And I chose to believe him because I trust his work. Remember guys, all this technology you speak of wasn't invented yesterday, so I think he has some what more experience than all of us. All I ask is that you respect my decision, geez, I was just letting you guys know what I was doing with my exhaust, is that not what a forum is about?

MingZai
11-05-2011, 07:49 PM
05accordeuro, I don't think they were trying to give you some negative attitude. I think what they are more afraid of is you being misinformed, regretting it later on or wasting money. If I'm not wrong I think what they are saying is you keeping the stock header and going with custom exhaust pipe isn't going to do anything different apart from maybe the sound. Reason is because of the amount of fumes being able to be pushed out through the header. If the header has a set amount of (for example) 1m per second of gas being able to be pushed out while your custom exhaust allows 3m per second then you won't be using the full potential of your custom exhaust as it's being restricted by the header. So having the stock pipe and your customs wouldn't be much different unless you change the header. A lot of the guys here are really here to just help you apart and normally I would open an ear and hear them out apart from the times where they might think your car looks rice where that is everyones own opinion. :P

marquee
11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Oh gosh!! What is a diff back? Is he talking about the location of where the exhaust will be moded. Or is he talking about just a cat back.

The previous thread started you asked for opinions.

All opinions given were contradictory to the advice provided to your mechanic. Have you done any research in relation to this or going on one person's opinion, as opposed to many others, who is a business man who wants you to pay for a useless mod (without other mods done)

However just for my own interest can you please inform me the specifications dont care too much but cost. Just materials going to be used, size of the pipe stuff like that

10KRPM
11-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Try Mr muffler in sumner park if they are still around.

Fredoops
12-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Oh gosh!! What is a diff back? Is he talking about the location of where the exhaust will be moded. Or is he talking about just a cat back.

I'm wondering the same thing, diff back could mean 1 of 2 things:
1- "turbo back" off the front diff, Which is from turbo all the way to the muffler, there's no turbo in the euro so that's out.

2- "axle back" from rear axle backwards, so effectively just 2 mufflers and the connecting pipe, so HALF a catback so to speak (because its got no mid pipe). Gosh I'm hoping he's not charging a whole lot for what's basically 2 mufflers.

05accordeuro
12-05-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm wondering the same thing, diff back could mean 1 of 2 things:
1- "turbo back" off the front diff, Which is from turbo all the way to the muffler, there's no turbo in the euro so that's out.

2- "axle back" from rear axle backwards, so effectively just 2 mufflers and the connecting pipe, so HALF a catback so to speak (because its got no mid pipe). Gosh I'm hoping he's not charging a whole lot for what's basically 2 mufflers.

Well usually there is two types of systems:

1. Cat-back system - pretty self-explanatory, everything from the catalytic converter out the back (pipe, muffler/s)

2. Diff/Axle-back system - Everything after the rear diff/axle is replaced (muffler, pipes (if it is a dual outlet)

Hope that gives you an idea :)

mikey72
12-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Your car doesn't have a rear diff, so technically diff back on a cl9 would include headers, cat and exhaust :P

Maybe even exhaust valves :thumbsup:

Fredoops
12-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Well usually there is two types of systems:

1. Cat-back system - pretty self-explanatory, everything from the catalytic converter out the back (pipe, muffler/s)

2. Diff/Axle-back system - Everything after the rear diff/axle is replaced (muffler, pipes (if it is a dual outlet)

Hope that gives you an idea :)
So it's just a muffler and y pipe you are getting?

mikey72
12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Im sorry mate but the gains you will feel will probably be a placebo effect of having a loud exhaust.

Companies like toda, weapon r, skunk2 etc all have done years of R&D to get the performance gains they make. How can you possibly justify the hour or so this exhaust shop spent looking at (not even working on it) your car will show you gains?

Fredoops
12-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I am pretty sure Op understand he's not going to get any gains out of his axle back set up at all. So he's just spending the $500 for the sound.

mugen_ctr
12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
axle back = sound
cat back = performance
Whole system = ultimate race experience LOL
Straight through exhaust = Track use only, and being a dick on the road LOL

05accordeuro
13-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey guys,

I went and got my new axle-back system put in my Euro today! It sounds great and am thoroughly happy with the job done by Rob Bliss Exhausts at Geebung!

Pictures and videos:

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img14/6155/img0221cl.jpg&via=mupload&newlp=1

http://youtu.be/cmMN6hopWGY

sounds a bit weird because of the phone!

Fredoops
13-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Thread merge maybe?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?149683-cl9-new-exhaust-next-week!

mikey72
13-05-2011, 04:22 PM
thread number 3?

EDIT: sounds stock?

aaronng
13-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Merged the threads.

I can hear a bit of a growl in the vid when you blipped the throttle. When just revving it with constant throttle opening it sounds stock. Good job on keeping it looking stock and also sounding stock until you give it throttle. This is what you want because you don't want it to drone when you are cruising at the speed limit (60, 80, 110 km/h) because that is when you end up attracting the attention of the police for the wrong reasons.

You want it to be a gentle giant when driving around normally, and then unleashing all hell when you give it full throttle.

cbol55
13-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Its hard to escape the feeling that the thread is more about advertising his mate than anything

cbol55
13-05-2011, 05:22 PM
particularly when you look at the video and find the same supplied by *** **** at ******

Fredoops
13-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Sounds rather underwhelming, not very deep (stock sized pipe will do that), otherwise very discrete sounding.

particularly when you look at the video and find the same supplied by *** **** at ******
Its consumer advice... Lets just say I wouldn't go there myself when they claimed OEM header for the cl9 is almost perfect...

10KRPM
13-05-2011, 08:12 PM
im sorry but that exhaust is arse. For the money you spent....or didnt spend according to some conspiracy theorists.... it didnt make that much of a diff to the sound.

Fredoops
13-05-2011, 10:36 PM
im sorry but that exhaust is arse. For the money you spent....or didnt spend according to some conspiracy theorists.... it didnt make that much of a diff to the sound.

A Header and high flow car would give you more than enough noise to deal with and power to boot.

05accordeuro
13-05-2011, 10:48 PM
guys guys, I went into the store asking for a system that will give me noise, and any power would purely be added luck. Please note that the sound on the video just doesnt do justice, as hard as it is for you guys to believe. The sound it is pumping out now is a subtle increase which you CAN hear while idoling, but im taking it back next week to get the smaller resonator taken out which will basically amplify it a bit more, which is what i'm after at this point. Im sorry if you guys think that getting a full system is the only way to go, but all I wanted was noise, and I believe I was advised the best way to go about that. I would seriously recommend anyone to go to Rob Bliss, he does some sick setups (especially the custom M3 exhaust I saw get built :D) But all in all, thanks for the feedback :)

natnat
13-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Injen CAI will give you nice screaming sound at > 5000rpm, and a bit of power increase, but silent as stock at idle to 4000rpm.

low quality cat back will give you cheap sound and drone noise, even at low rpm, ie: driving 40-50km/h at suburban streets and annoy the residents.

good quality cat back will give you decent sound without drone and less annoying the neighbours.

mikey72
14-05-2011, 04:55 AM
I'm sorry but all your name dropping did was only make 'Rob Bliss' look like a rip off merchant.

10KRPM
14-05-2011, 08:49 AM
guys guys, I went into the store asking for a system that will give me noise, and any power would purely be added luck. Please note that the sound on the video just doesnt do justice, as hard as it is for you guys to believe. The sound it is pumping out now is a subtle increase which you CAN hear while idoling, but im taking it back next week to get the smaller resonator taken out which will basically amplify it a bit more, which is what i'm after at this point. Im sorry if you guys think that getting a full system is the only way to go, but all I wanted was noise, and I believe I was advised the best way to go about that. I would seriously recommend anyone to go to Rob Bliss, he does some sick setups (especially the custom M3 exhaust I saw get built :D) But all in all, thanks for the feedback :)

That m3 exhaust was prob for one of his mates. He does live in hamilton and drives a porsche so i would gather he has abit of money....just abit ;)

tony1234
14-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Lets just say I wouldn't go there myself when they claimed OEM header for the cl9 is almost perfect...
Agreed.Cause thats crap.

10KRPM
14-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Agreed.Cause thats crap.

maybe that was said in the context of day to day driving....and not so much in a track setting.

dee-y
14-05-2011, 10:21 AM
In the end I guess if you're happy with it then that's fine, but I think we all agree that there are better options out there.