PDA

View Full Version : Roof Mount DVD Player in RB3 Luxury

Kneedown
13-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Guys,

I've picked up a very nice Alpine DVD player for the Odyssey and now wonder if it will be a problem to mount it in the luxury as there is the aircon ducting and sunroof directly inside the roof lining where the DVD playe would need to go.

Anyone managed to fit a roof mount DVD in a Lux model?? :confused:

Also where can I get some decent LED bulbs for the front marker lights to match the HID's? Bloody cheap skate Honda fit yellow filament globes next to pure white HID's to save all of $10!! :thumbdwn:

lf9888
13-05-2011, 10:14 AM
installed an Alpine rooftop dvd player on my 2011 lux odyssey with no problem at all.

Philip Lee
13-05-2011, 11:29 AM
any pic for the HU and rooftop player If9888?

thanks

re LED, Autobarn sells some T10 bulbs for $10 a set or you can get them off Egay.

Kneedown
13-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Cheers for the replies, good to know there should be no worries with getting a roof mount DVD installed.

I've decided to go with a mechless head unit as well, the Alpine IXA-W407EBT has all that we need. We rarely ever carry CD's in the car anymore.

I've tried eBay LED bulbs before and they don't seem to last very long. Will look around I guess.

AusAccord
13-05-2011, 04:53 PM
depends on seller at Ebay. mine are all from the same seller including parker, dooms, license plate and last for 3+ yrs already without issues.

remember post some pics once HU and roof screen installed for us to admire :)

evolution
13-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Look for sellers that sell SMD LEDs, I find that they last alot longer and are brighter.

I recommend the following combination:

Parkers - at least a 5 SMD LED bulb
Interior front - at least a 2 SMD LED at each point
Middle row - at least a 2 SMD LED at each point
Third row - at least a 4 SMD LED at each point
Rear license plate lights - at least a 5 SMD LED at each point

If you are getting normal LEDs then up the no to of LED to each bulb by 1. The normal ones are just too weak.

Kneedown
18-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey evolution, cheers for the info. Have ordered some 5smd's for the front parkers. Will see how good they are and go from there.

AusAccord
18-05-2011, 02:09 PM
^^ that early to buy christmas tree??

Atjo
19-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I also installed roof mount DVD player on my RB1. No problem at all. Only need to use not too long screw as it might hitting the sunroof enclosure.

lf9888
19-05-2011, 10:34 AM
any pic for the HU and rooftop player If9888?

thanks

re LED, Autobarn sells some T10 bulbs for $10 a set or you can get them off Egay.

Still saving up for the HU....

Philip Lee
19-05-2011, 11:28 AM
sweet. it doesn't block the rear view mirror too much i hope...

AusAccord
19-05-2011, 01:48 PM
no worries, absolutely gone!!

Kneedown
03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Got my roof mount DVD fitted yesterday along with the IXA-W407EBT head unit.

The head unit looks fantastic and has the factory fitted look to it. Functionality is awesome too. Hooks up to my iPhone4 and wifes iPhone3 with no worries. Plays BT streaming audio off the phones and the phone contact list etc all shows up without an issue. The DVD player is linked to the head unit so I can view video on both (except when driving).

Functionality wise, the DVD is great as well. Awesome quality pictures and sound. Just wish the screen was motorised. Not so chuffed with the roof mount DVD install though. Have to go back and get the trim sorted as the guy mounted it a lot further fwd than I would have liked, and didn't use the Alpine trim. The front of the DVD hangs off the rear edge of the sunroof and he has stuffed some dodgy black fabric in the gaps. :thumbdwn:

A flush mount reverse camera and steering wheel interface was part of the install. With some careful shopping around, total cost $2130 all up installed. :cool:

Philip Lee
03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
^ that's an excellent deal. any pic?

Kneedown
08-06-2011, 11:21 PM
I will post some pics of the complete install soon...but I need some quick replies first about the roof mount DVD.

I am having issues with the installer about how they have fitted the roof unit. In my opinion it is far too fwd on the roof. At first they didin't fit the trim that came with the unit and did a dodgy infill with fabric. Had to go back a second time to get the trim fitted but they claim the unit can't be moved any further back.

This is the result...the front end hangs past the sunroof opening...which looks shite in my opinion. :mad:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/kneedown2/MIsc/DVDInstall2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/kneedown2/MIsc/DVDInstall3.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/kneedown2/MIsc/DVDInstall1.jpg

Hoping If988 can show us the front of his DVD install? :wave:

Atjo
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
How big is your roof mount DVD? It is far too forward but seems look alright on the 2nd picture. Ask them to fix it again.

Winno
14-06-2011, 06:02 PM
If any of the car audio dealers I associate with up in Brisbane were to see this, they'd just be shaking their heads.
That work is appalling.
And the trim colour and texture doesn't even match the unit. What did they do with the Alpine trim you bought?

Sure, you might have got a cheap price, but did you not look at some of the cars they've worked on to get an idea of their workmanship?
If the space for the unit is too small, then they sold you the incorrect unit.
Someone who either has no experience, or just doesn't care about your car, OR BOTH, has done this work.
That's also installed almost between the head of you and the other front passenger - maybe a serious hazard in an accident???

I've seen much worse than this after being in the industry but even this kind of result is very disappointing.

Chase them to rectify it.

Kneedown
14-06-2011, 11:40 PM
This was done by Autotainment in Burswood who came highly recommended but clearly not for DVD installs or customer service as I found out!

It is a case of just not giving a sh*t...the car has been back once already, in both times they didn't even have the courtesy to walk me (or my wife who collected the car the second time) through what they had done. It was a case of here's the keys and there's the door...the car is outside. The second time around they pulled out the child seat when my wife took it around and didn't even bother to put it back. My wife had to wrestle with the seat and our 15month old in the car park. Their customer service has been appalling.

I supplied the head unit & DVD so all they quoted on was installation...which wasn't the cheapest so i didn't go with price.

The trim is the Alpine surround which came with the unit. The issue I have is that it is fitted too far fwd and intruding into the sunroof opening as already noted.

Anyone considering any car audio...stay clear of Autotainment!

Kneedown
15-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Tried speaking to Brian Wallis who is the owner of Autotainment about fixing the installation. According to him 'that's the way we fit them'. He wants another $180 to do the job the 'way you want it' and hung up on me!

Can't see why I wouldn't throw more money at them!

Winno
15-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds like he can afford to lose business then.
No wonder he never gets a mention on the MEA car audio forums.

Office of Fair Trade for your next call perhaps?

Philip Lee
16-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Sounds like he can afford to lose business then.
No wonder he never gets a mention on the MEA car audio forums.

Office of Fair Trade for your next call perhaps?

i just wonder what OFT can do. demand them to rectify it probably but do u want to take your car back? a refund would be good tho.

evolution
17-06-2011, 12:30 AM
This was done by Autotainment in Burswood who came highly recommended but clearly not for DVD installs or customer service as I found out!

It is a case of just not giving a sh*t...the car has been back once already, in both times they didn't even have the courtesy to walk me (or my wife who collected the car the second time) through what they had done. It was a case of here's the keys and there's the door...the car is outside. The second time around they pulled out the child seat when my wife took it around and didn't even bother to put it back. My wife had to wrestle with the seat and our 15month old in the car park. Their customer service has been appalling.

I supplied the head unit & DVD so all they quoted on was installation...which wasn't the cheapest so i didn't go with price.

The trim is the Alpine surround which came with the unit. The issue I have is that it is fitted too far fwd and intruding into the sunroof opening as already noted.

Anyone considering any car audio...stay clear of Autotainment!

Now I know where not to go!

Adrian128
22-06-2011, 01:20 PM
That was my main concern when I bought my RB3...that's why I just got the headrest mounted DVD screens instead..almost looks factory..

Winno
22-06-2011, 02:21 PM
After sitting in an RB1 with a ceiling mounted screen, I know it blocks the rear vision via the mirror.
That would annoy the crap out of me.
Headrest monitors fed by either a dash mounted source, or a hide away unit is really the way to go.