PDA

View Full Version : Engine confusion, would like your thoughts!

i-jrdm
14-05-2011, 05:07 PM
So ive got a dc2 with a jdm front, gutted and ready for a engine. my mechanic has a h22a type s ready to go as well as a type r head and b20 bottom, so at that point im not too sure what i wanna run. the idea is to run a build b20 all motor ie complete bottom and head build as-well as tune ofcorse orrrr run the h with a h2b setup with light mods ie cams valve train etc. For many months ive done so much reading and research into thinking which way i wanna go with this but i thought id shout out to the community to see what you guys think.

cheers

GSi_PSi
14-05-2011, 05:55 PM
B20vtec over the h22a
H2B over the b20vtec

dc2r-0636
14-05-2011, 05:58 PM
well built B20vtec imo.

dougie_504
14-05-2011, 11:12 PM
b20 for sure dude

Touge Tom
15-05-2011, 01:42 AM
depends what you want? torque or revs? i'd personally go the B20vtec, having so my self. i hear/read that h22's dont/cant make 'em rev as much as b serires can. or is this just hearsay and forum bullshit?

bennjamin
15-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Btw a type r head ( could be a boring b16a head ) and a b20 bottom end don't just magically bolt together and make wads of power ! Abit more work involved than that.
Still I'd put more money into the b20 setup as it's bolt in using your existing mounts shift linkage etc.

Benson
15-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Abit off topic, but K-series is the way! For the price of h2b and b20vtec swap, another 1k-2k you can have a K-series package which is newer, more reliable and makes more power and torque than any B-series or H-series

GSi_PSi
15-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Benson although you are right in more reliable and more power. But realistically it is a lot more expensive than you make it sound. Putting in a K series in properly your looking at spending way more/.

Touge Tom
15-05-2011, 06:41 PM
i hear/read there is issues with K series timing chain tensioner? is this what makes them so reliable?

Benson
15-05-2011, 08:19 PM
i hear/read there is issues with K series timing chain tensioner? is this what makes them so reliable?

What issue are you talking about? I've been using the OEM on my supercharge motor and all other built motors.

Benson
15-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Benson although you are right in more reliable and more power. But realistically it is a lot more expensive than you make it sound. Putting in a K series in properly your looking at spending way more/.

Define properly?

honda_b_blastn
15-05-2011, 08:45 PM

type anything into google and there will be negative feed back regarding the product/component searched....genius

DC2-PWR
15-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Define properly?

Fitting engine
New Mounts
Re-wiring
Changing most of the front bits (so things dont break)
Bigger brakes (more power, but still stock parts)
etc etc etc

And so it counts on. So when I read that people say its "cheap" to upgrade to a K20 just like that... hard to believe :p

I'd say go B20, lots of potential. My mate had a B20 DC2, fark that thing went, ripped up any B18CR eg with i/h/e hondata, 180sx type x etc
+
Most of your stock parts are capable of the engine, so cheaper in the long run meaning more fun in the short run.

If you had a good 10-15k for the K-series then go for it.
Or
For a long term project for the k-series is another good idea, but then you need another daily to get you around

mugen_ctr
15-05-2011, 09:29 PM
depends what you want? torque or revs? i'd personally go the B20vtec, having so my self. i hear/read that h22's dont/cant make 'em rev as much as b serires can. or is this just hearsay and forum bullshit?

H22 if i remember has a longer stroke an bigger bore, so therefor it cant rev as high, b20 has slight less bore an shorter stroke but can rev that more, but i do believe the H22a has a better head, so thats why it can out rev the standard B20, but VtecB20 is different story, correct if im wrong

Benson
15-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Fitting engine
New Mounts
Re-wiring
Changing most of the front bits (so things dont break)
Bigger brakes (more power, but still stock parts)
etc etc etc

And so it counts on. So when I read that people say its "cheap" to upgrade to a K20 just like that... hard to believe :p

I'd say go B20, lots of potential. My mate had a B20 DC2, fark that thing went, ripped up any B18CR eg with i/h/e hondata, 180sx type x etc
+
Most of your stock parts are capable of the engine, so cheaper in the long run meaning more fun in the short run.

If you had a good 10-15k for the K-series then go for it.
Or
For a long term project for the k-series is another good idea, but then you need another daily to get you around

And what makes you think a B20vtec is any cheaper?

Ok lets do a breakdown of a B20vtec conversion if you had a b-series -
B20 bottom end - $500
Rebuilt, notched piston, arp rod bolts, new rings, bearings, hone etc etc $1000
Vtec conversion kit - $300
Rebuild and service old b-series head - $350
HOndata s300 - $750
Tune - 600
Clutch - 400
Service your old shit box b-series gearbox (syncro's, bearings) - 700

etc etc etc etc etc etc........................ The list goes on

So, is it cheaper than a K-series? Maybe by a few hundred dollars? LOL

You can get a budget K24 package in your car for under $10,000 and it will make 140kw's at the front wheels. You'll need to spend 10,000 on the B-series engine alone to get even close to 140kw's. Been there done that! I've gone that that route years ago, thank god i went K-series and never looked back!

DNYALL
15-05-2011, 11:11 PM
I love my b20vtec setup but as Benson says, go K swap. As much as I love my b20 setup, I wish I went with a K-swap from the start, would of had more power and would of ended up being cheaper in the long run :/ seriously. But if i had your current choice I would go with the built b20.

GSi_PSi
16-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Benson, for k swap you need ,
Engine 3-6k depending on what k
Engine harness - 850
K-pro with tune - 2200
Engine mounts - 500-700
Shifter box with cables etc - 300
Fuel lines and fuel rail- 300
Must for upgraded brakes, reconditioning
Of the k series engine and gearbox ,
Labour for drilling off stock b series
Mount etc there is lots more little headaches that pop up

Honestly for a b20 if you already have a b series
And you know where to get parts at good prices you can build
One for as little as 2500-3500 that's keeping stock head and tuned

Benson
16-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Benson, for k swap you need ,
Engine 3-6k depending on what k - K24 package for 4500 - 5000 or k20a2 for 5500
Engine harness - Come with engine harness
K-pro with tune - They are only 1400-1500 for ECU unit Kpro add extra 500 for tune
Engine mounts - 500-700
Shifter box with cables etc - Come with engine package
Fuel lines and fuel rail- Use stock rail with rubber lines
Must for upgraded brakes, reconditioning - If you say so, then you need to do the same for B20vtec
Of the k series engine and gearbox ,
Labour for drilling off stock b series - Use a drill and abit of time, or pay someone 100 to do it
Mount etc there is lots more little headaches that pop up What headaches are you referring too?

Honestly for a b20 if you already have a b series
And you know where to get parts at good prices you can build
One for as little as 2500-3500 that's keeping stock head and tuned - Can you do a breakdown of that 2500 - 3000 for a B20vtec. List down what you get

mugen_ctr
16-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I love my b20vtec setup but as Benson says, go K swap. As much as I love my b20 setup, I wish I went with a K-swap from the start, would of had more power and would of ended up being cheaper in the long run :/ seriously. But if i had your current choice I would go with the built b20.

If u ever decide, stroke the B20 to a 2.1 or 2.2 liters :D

Theres no replacement for displacement

shepparton
16-05-2011, 10:31 AM
u guys forgot the exhaust system, engineer unles u wanna run open header or stock exhaust,, i spent $1600 on the cat bak and header alone + engineer 700

Touge Tom
16-05-2011, 12:07 PM
type anything into google and there will be negative feed back regarding the product/component searched....genius

seems i touch'd a nerve there?... genius?

in fact i reckon K is the better option. the OP would be better of saving a few more buck's, for a more modern, bigger(K24) and more fuel efficient engine. plus b series is getting way to old now. and only if you believe that a B series is ment to be in a B type chassis, and if the OP is a B series enthusiast. then the OP should go for the B20VTEC swap.