PDA

View Full Version : eg build

--drew--
17-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Hey guys

Ok, I have an eg gl hatch (carby and drum brakes rear) that I am planning to build up and replace a lot of parts on and do a lot of work on such as suspension, brakes, engine, and respray

My eg has done 221000 kms and the body is a bit rough in places. There are some sections of surface rust but I am not sure if it goes deeper. I think but am not 100% sure that the car has been in a front end prang as from the doors to the front, the car is a slightly darker tone of silver.

My question is:
Is it worthit to rebuild my current eg or start off the build on a cleaner base eg?

Thanx,
Drew

j0nn0
17-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Hey man,

I am trying to answer this question for my self as well. My car has been hit from behind and I know it for sure, So personally I dont feel like I could spend anymore money on it because of this.

In the end if your happy with the car and you feel like you want to fix it up. Do it! If it makes you happy, Do it!

But if your gonna feel like your wasting your money and that your money deserves to be put in a cleaner eg then dont spend a cent on it, get rid of it and get yourself a cleaner one.

In the end its your choice... :)

j0nn0

dougie_504
17-05-2011, 12:46 PM
How much are able/prepared to do yourself, and how much money are you prepared to spend on it?

And what is the purpose of the car?

You should try to find a clean EG6 IMO. Would be worth the wait...

--drew--
17-05-2011, 02:57 PM
How much are able/prepared to do yourself, and how much money are you prepared to spend on it?

That would be sick to find one but there are so few in aus and I do believe you can't import them anymore unless its a personal import.

I guess doing the whole thing would be a learning curve. The major mods like respray and engine conversion will more than likely be done by a workshop but I would like to do as much as I could do myself and maybe when the time comes, have some help as it would be good to have some mates that share a passion for eg's like I do.

mugen_ctr
17-05-2011, 06:51 PM

this says it all.........

as far as eg6 goes, i think they are over priced, nothing fancy with them imo, but if like anything, if u want something, keep looking hard, an one will pop up eventually :)

As for the carby motor, i think ur better off starting off with a EG5, atleast its got EFI and disc brakes all around, and its the D16y1 vtec motor :D

If u choose to boost it, plenty of kits out there, an power u makes, a base figure to go off is around 100 - 150kw give or take, depending on supporting mods and tune

As for N/A, B18 are getting relative cheap, definite go B18C from VTiR, but if u got more cash lying around, go DC2R B18c

dougie_504
17-05-2011, 07:25 PM
this says it all.........

as far as eg6 goes, i think they are over priced, nothing fancy with them imo, but if like anything, if u want something, keep looking hard, an one will pop up eventually :)

As for the carby motor, i think ur better off starting off with a EG5, atleast its got EFI and disc brakes all around, and its the D16y1 vtec motor :D

If u choose to boost it, plenty of kits out there, an power u makes, a base figure to go off is around 100 - 150kw give or take, depending on supporting mods and tune

As for N/A, B18 are getting relative cheap, definite go B18C from VTiR, but if u got more cash lying around, go DC2R B18c

This is a good point and one I was going to make before I decided to suggest looking for an EG6. It will save you time stuffing around with brake setups and EFI conversion, and you nice some cute things like electric sunroof etc.

chauster
17-05-2011, 07:58 PM
there are plently of EG with b18c or b16a. Why not just pick up one of them?

TheSaint
17-05-2011, 11:15 PM
even the Gli isnt a bad platform to work with - you can do an A6/Z6 head build on the D15b7 fairly cheap these days, a miniMe head conversion or an engine swap
the Gl just adds that little bit of frustration with the EFI conversion =/

Red_EG4
17-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I suggest going for an EFI model even if it is just a GLi
Other than that, sentimental value and the fact you already have your GL and know most of it's faults are the only reason I see for you building it up.

--drew--
18-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Will more than likely end up selling mine and buying a cleaner base as mine is good for a daily and that's it.
Just having a browse on car sales though and there aren't that many clean ones out there. Suppose its all about patience and waiting for the right one to pop up.

I was also thinking as Chauster said, purchasing an already engine swapped eg but If I was to do that I would want piece of mind and know that it was done professionally at a reputable workshop.

TheSaint
18-05-2011, 01:49 PM
i spent almost 12 months searching when i bought my Dc2
but we bought our EG within the first day and we have had it no problems for 6 years 150k-320k kms
patients and luck are key

dougie_504
18-05-2011, 02:45 PM
If it's a daily (and if you can live with it) then I would say don't respray the car. It will get scratched soon, and then it's not perfect, and it'll mess with your head.

Also if it's a daily just do some DIY carby mods (check DIY section) so it goes a little better. Rear disc brake conversion isn't hard, but also isn't necessary unless you're planning to go tracking or on long spirited drives. Suspension is a great option IMO because even if you sell the car you can put the standard parts back on and move the good ones to your new ride (within reason).

--drew--
18-05-2011, 04:46 PM
If it's a daily (and if you can live with it) then I would say don't respray the car. It will get scratched soon, and then it's not perfect, and it'll mess with your head.

Also if it's a daily just do some DIY carby mods (check DIY section) so it goes a little better. Rear disc brake conversion isn't hard, but also isn't necessary unless you're planning to go tracking or on long spirited drives. Suspension is a great option IMO because even if you sell the car you can put the standard parts back on and move the good ones to your new ride (within reason).
I was saying my current civic is only good for a daily hence why I want to purchase a different eg, a cleaner base so I can start the project on that.
The new one will be the project + daily + occasional track day hence why I want to do a rebuild with it

dougie_504
18-05-2011, 09:28 PM
If it's going on the track prepare yourself for paint damage - multiple stone chips at least (if you're lucky/good at driving).

--drew--
20-05-2011, 12:31 AM
If it's going on the track prepare yourself for paint damage - multiple stone chips at least (if you're lucky/good at driving).
Didn't think about that part haha. Maybe i'll have a spare front bar for the track :P

dougie_504
20-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Didn't think about that part haha. Maybe i'll have a spare front bar for the track :P

From what I've seen it's more the bonnet too. If your car is going to be tracked you'll have trouble keeping it immaculate on the outside.

Alternatively you could have one daily-driver and one track-warrior?

dougie_504
20-05-2011, 01:16 AM

From what I've seen it's more the bonnet too. If your car is going to be tracked you'll have trouble keeping it immaculate on the outside.

Alternatively you could have one daily-driver and one track-warrior?