PDA

View Full Version : Newb Audio Q.

Rico
02-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Sup guys and gals, I'm soon to buy a new car and the first thing I want to do to it is upgrade the audio on it. Now I'm looking at buying a cd player (preferably Alpine as my mate has one and its mad), and 2 12" subwoofers about, maybe speakers depending on how bad or good the stock ones are.

The thing is I don't know where to start - there's things like amplifiers and shit which I don't know what are used for, so I was wondering what do I have to do to get basically my subs working perfectly along with the cd player, and how much would installation cost?
Cheers.

civ_sik
02-02-2005, 07:34 PM
amps run the sub its as simple as that
i hooked my speakers to my other amp aswell but.

vti-2
02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi mate, this is the best website out there for learning about car audio. Bookmark it cause it's probably the best source you will find online.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Rico
03-02-2005, 12:45 AM
cheers bros.

Fhrx
03-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Rico, BCAE is an absolutely fantastic website but bare in mind it will take you about three years to get all the way through it. :D:D

Just refering back to your comments, I fear you have some incorrect ideology about how to achieve quality sound.

To start with, forget the two subs idea unless you're going for symmetry. One is more than enough for your first system champ. You have highlighted the headunit and this is obviously where you start. If you select a nice Alpine unit etc then the source (music) will be clean but weak. This weak signal is then fed to the amplifier(s) which (as its name suggests) amplifies the signal and make it nice and powerful for the speakers to play. Now there is little use sending a strong powerful clean signal down factory cables to factory speakers in the doors. In other words you'll want a decent set of speakers at the front of the car where you're sitting.

So, after all that we have:

Deck -----> Amp -----> Speakers / Subwoofer

Try something like this:

Source Unit(s): Alpine CDA-9827 / Pioneer DEH-P5650MP / Clarion DXZ746MP
Front Speaker(s): Boston SL60 / Diamond M361 / Hertz HSK 165 / Rainbow CMX 265 Kick / Focal 165A / Morel Pulse 6 / Phoenix Gold ZR6.5 Comp / Vibe ST-60 / Eton Pro-160X
Sub(s): JL Audio 12W0-4 / Image Dynamics ID12V.3 / Boston G2-12 / Diamond M312 / Hertx HX 300 / Boston GS1204 / Phoenix Gold R12D / Digital Designs 2012 / Vibe BlackAir-12
Amplifier(s): Audison SRx3 / Phoenix Gold R8.0:4
Cable: Stinger / Phoenix Gold / Audison
Deadening: G-Spot Serenity Max / Stinger Roadkill / Dynamat Pro

Now you will probably have more questions about what some of this stuff does and additional answers can be found within the FAQ section on our website here (http://www.fhrxstudios.com). :D

bungsai
03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey dude, PM me, when you have a budget, and ill see what i can put together for you. my friend imports stuff

kousoku
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
rico bro,
if your getting a sub, you deffinatly need an amp so i'm sure you have a limit to your budget, so i would suggest go for a 5 channel amp, and run your speakers and sub off this amp, to both increase the longevity of your source unit, and to have bigger better sound.

However, since you have a honda, you deffinatly need to upgrade your speakers.

so this is how i would do it.

source unit -> front splits -> rear speakers -> amp (inc. wiring ect. can cost upwards of $200 if you wont quality) -> sub.

Apline units are awsome, and until you get an amp they will power yoru spekers fine. Remeber the more you spend first time, the less you will have the spend later.

Cry once, something somthing, i donno what that saying is.

mojo the flashy monkey
03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
hrm dont get a 5 ch amp better of getiign 2 2ch amps or a mono block go to http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php has alot of ppl on it that know there stuf and alot of things for sale so u can grab a bargan :P