PDA

View Full Version : Jazz engines only last 30000 km !

hueihonda
18-05-2011, 02:07 PM
I have a 2007 Jazz VTI 1500cc built in Thailand, purchased new Oct 2007. After 38000 km I noticed a clunking coming from engine, sounded like a well worn diesel. Dealers refused to acknowledge the problem, had to get Honda Australia involved to verify, yes the motor was stuffed. Cylinder bores so badly worn had to put a new short motor in it. Now 30000 km later on new short motor the problem is back....good old piston slap !!! I've got my Jazz diesel back !
Anybody else having these problems and what is causing it, dealer and Honda Australia "don't know" what is causing this problem.

EG5
18-05-2011, 03:41 PM
My GE jazz is hitting 60k km's
No problems at all.
How often do you change your engine oil ?

hueihonda
18-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Car has been serviced by Honda dealer, oil changed 10000km with "Honda"oil.

Dreams
18-05-2011, 04:27 PM
does the problem starts with a clunking engine (knocking) sound from the bottom end?

bennjamin
18-05-2011, 05:10 PM
lemon motor

every car manufacturer gets these unfortunately......

BTW my gf's jazz is close to 70,000kms and strong little motor.

seihoa
18-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Maybe one of the sensors are faulty ( but not causing an error) and causes your car to lean out / knock, hence why your motor keeps dying when it reaches a certain amount of kms?

*Shrugs*

hueihonda
18-05-2011, 05:53 PM
@ dreams Yes, definite clunking from block region as distinct from whirring sound from camshaft at top of motor. Initially the noise comes and goes then its there all the time. When Honda dealer took motor out of car to fix the problem they found the cylinder bores so badly worn they could not re-bore and fit maximum oversize pistons available hence the need for brand new short motor. When I went to pick up the car after new motor fitted the dealer advised another Jazz owner came in with exact same problem. There is obviously a major problem with Thai built motors that Honda and motoring press are not talking about.
@ bennjamin The second NEW MOTOR is showing the same problem. So Honda Australia have a supply of" lemons" just ready to install in my car?:eek:

bennjamin
18-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Any proof the new motor isnt the old motor ? Check the engine number on your rego paper and the one on the engine.
Did you notice any power loss etc ? Before and after ?
Worn bores might be hard initial wear in - possible tune issue / wrong oil / lack of oil etc. Do you service it yourself ?

fillit
18-05-2011, 07:01 PM
my jazz is on 49xxx, it has been heavily modified then unmodded, still runs like a dream :S

GU357
18-05-2011, 09:50 PM
mines at 90,000+ (03 model) and works fine, amazing lil motor, if you've had ur engine changed once and the same thing is happening it might be something abt ur car causing the wear, or u have bad luck.

i never let mine take off unless the engine is warm 80% of engine wear is due to ppl driving/revving a cold engine rather then letting it idle to warmth.

Dreams
19-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I can tell you not on all Thai built ones, my one was a JAP built. i dont think mine was that severe. but it sure does have the clunking noise from the bottom end could be the initial problem, and this is proven as my other friend's in SA does have the same sound thats 3 in 4 cars ratio. tried to rectified it with Dealer, they say they "tried" and said nothing wrong with the car. This was coming from an engine that was serviced every 5000KM! I am now still skeptical lol why.

you guys who unaware, try to listen your engine while on idle, see if you engine sounds "fine" listen for sounds from the bottom not the injectors.

GU357
19-05-2011, 12:39 PM
hardly 3 in 4 u guys are like the only ones so far to of noticed so its more like 3/(OH jazz community)

anyway mine does sound a little loud i guess ill take a recording of the idle soon.
u guys do the same...

qning
31-05-2011, 09:10 PM
my jazz is 1 out of 3 that dreams talking about. Just serviced 110,000kms at honda and I told them about the knocking sound from the engine (did it on last service as well) and apparently they keep saying that the sound is normal. i think its time to put k24 on mine lol!

ss-rotel
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
That's odd, my engine had done 170,000km, before it was pulled down, and fitted with forged pistons. still had the original hone marks on the cylinder walls, so no need to have it re-bored or honed. the builders were very supprised how good the condition of the engine was/is

serviced @ highway honda all it's warrenty life, then i service it for it's "small" service, and they still do the medium/large service

it's a 2005 VTiS, and has been driven hard 75% of it's life.

wyl03
05-06-2011, 06:26 PM
sorry to hear this. my 04 VTI is now coming to 130,000kms. engine has been running flawlessly. couldn't be happier .. which makes me even more surprised to read this. my car has been serviced by Hanny's after the initial 10,000km dealer servicing.

migoreng
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Anybody else having these problems and what is causing it, dealer and Honda Australia "don't know" what is causing this problem.
Looks like you're servicing every ~6 months or 8000-9000km which is fine.

Are you flogging the engine when it's cold or something?
:P

gumus89
05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
i never let mine take off unless the engine is warm 80% of engine wear is due to ppl driving/revving a cold engine rather then letting it idle to warmth.

Hey man, just so you know you shouldnt sit at idle until it warms. At idle your oil pressure is lower and could cause increased start up wear.
Let it sit for 20 seconds and then drive very sedately until its warmed up :D

fundies
06-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Mines got noisy yappets when cold, but the noise goes away within a mnute of driving. Tappets need to be done every 40K km.s, mine still not done at 83K km.s ( slack ).

fundies
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Mines got noisy yappets when cold, but the noise goes away within a mnute of driving. Tappets need to be done every 40K km.s, mine still not done at 83K km.s ( slack ).

Sorry, Tappets, not Yappets.:D

GU357
11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry, Tappets, not Yappets.:D

Could of just done an edit rather then, repost.
although i was scratching my head to figure out what you meant.

ss-rotel
13-06-2011, 09:01 AM
.... fully versed in typonesse.... knew what you meant.

... might just be the oil being used too... Highway honda moved from honda 10w-30, (i think that was the weight) to Magnatec 10w-30 a few years back...

gumus89
13-06-2011, 10:52 AM
.... fully versed in typonesse.... knew what you meant.

... might just be the oil being used too... Highway honda moved from honda 0w-30, (i think that was the weight) to Magnatec 10w-30 a few years back...

Honda has two oils. Mineral and Synthetic. The mineral is 10w-30 and the synthetic is 5W-30. If I remember correctly.

aaronng
13-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Are you starting the engine and driving off immediately with moderate throttle? It sounds to me like an external issue is causing the problem and it could be driving behaviour-related.

ss-rotel
13-06-2011, 04:25 PM
... the Jazz oil is semi-synth. i'm GUESSING due to the moly coating on the stock pistons, is the reason that full synth oils are not recomeneded in the L15A1 engine...

Anyway, i meant 10w-30, (post edited), my bad. new laptop, was getting used to the Keyboard :)

anyway... i'm not sure if the Magnatech change was a highway honda thing, or a accross the board honda thing...

I should get my car back this week, and as it's running forged pistons, plan to run full synth, either motul or mobil 1... and it'll rattle like a bastard cold... :)

downinginc
13-06-2011, 04:46 PM
I should get my car back this week, and as it's running forged pistons, plan to run full synth, either motul or mobil 1... and it'll rattle like a bastard cold... :)

Sorry to sound like a massive n00b but what do you mean it will rattle when its cold?

GU357
13-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry to sound like a massive n00b but what do you mean it will rattle when its cold?

i think it means that it sounds kinda high pitched like a diesel idling?

ss-rotel
14-06-2011, 05:37 PM
forge alloy pistons shrink/expand was they cool and heat up, well more so then normal pistons. So, letting the engine warm up is more important. They kinda sound like noisy tappets.

It's also one of the reason why u dont see many cars running forged pistons out of the box.

downinginc
14-06-2011, 11:47 PM
They kinda sound like noisy tappets.

Oh thats good, the swift does that. Its got forged pistons at 11.1:1 comp from factory and damn it sounds like a tractor in the mornings =P
makes everyone (myself included) really nervous the first time they hear it =S

thanks for the info ss-rotel =)