PDA

View Full Version : -.- Help oil Sump plug Is stuck

eren
18-05-2011, 02:15 PM
so today i wanted to change my car oil i got oil/oil filter and jacked up the car went underneith to take the sump plug off no budge it wont move at all i tried reall hard wont move at all ? can anyone help.:confused::confused::confused:

no flammers im only 16 and dont wanna go mechanics

dougie_504
18-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Torque wrench or breaker bar~

They can get tight due to heat cycles. When you do it up don't go too tight, wait until you get 'firm' grip in the rotation, then give it another quarter turn or so.

And what does your age have to do with anything? It's just a plug, not a bottle of bourbon...

DCZ 18C
18-05-2011, 02:53 PM
what he siad.. ^ and make sure you are turning the correct way... :S jus in case..
lefty loosey, righty tighty.. xD

eren
18-05-2011, 02:56 PM
ahaha if i fail at sumthing i like to blame my age XD and thx

bennjamin
18-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Are you undoing it the correct way ? Remember - when FACING the top of the fastener

RIGHTY TIGHTY , lefty loosey !

That is , counterclockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten

Also grab a decent 6sided spanner or ratchet and socket and you should be able to get it off

dougie_504
18-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Yep, if it's too tight avoid the multi-grip sockets, just get a genuine hex.

eren
18-05-2011, 03:16 PM
sure will ill head over to supercheap and get some decent tools for the job

mugen_ctr
18-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Get proper tools, china quality tools have a tendency to round bolts easy, even the supercheapauto tools are good enough for the job....

chow_tofu
18-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Had the exact problem last night with my EG. had to google it lol.

Try using a vice grip and wacking the bolt on the side(near the washer) with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer

after retrying so many times i ended up with a new size/shape bolt which the spanner took off lol.

dougie_504
18-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Check out Total Tools. They have a few shops around. Their tools are made in the same factory as either Sidchrome or Kinchrome...can't remember which one (In Taiwan, which is good). Life-time warranty, over the counter replacement. Good deals, good tools.

string
18-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Definitely need good tools if you don't already have them.

Technique (to apply force correctly) just comes with practice and experience.

For the sump plug, I just use a spanner and bash it with a hammer to crack it.

eren
18-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Tru dat but i also dont wanna Strip the plug if i do,does my ek have a unique plug or can i use any from autobarn or supercheap?

string
18-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Not a unique plug at all. I don't know for sure --I use OEM-- but Autobarn/Supercheap/Repco really should stock that stuff. You don't necessarily need a new plug, but you should get a new washer.

eren
18-05-2011, 05:33 PM
but the plugs threads could be worn ?? so it would be best to replace

bennjamin
18-05-2011, 05:38 PM
more lilely the internal thread of the sump itself "worn" if over tightened before - you can rethread the sump or use some loctite or similar on the plugs thread to help with its sealing and grip. Get a new OE washer too !

string
18-05-2011, 05:38 PM
If any threads are worn it'll be the sump's threads. If the head is stripped then definitely replace it. The sealing is done with the washer against the machined face of the sump, not with the threads.

duzy
18-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I use a rubber mallet and ratchet. Yea sure the bolt will slowly begin to round after doing this for 2-3 services but by then i get a new sump bolt.

EK1.6LCIV
19-05-2011, 03:25 PM
just use a sca breaker bar, sca sockets in single hex, will do the job, just when you put it back on use a torque wrench, it doesn't need a lot of torque to stay on

I have yet to break any cheap tools, they come with life time warranties now

JDM-derek
19-05-2011, 05:57 PM
breaker bar never fails.

xclusive_eg8
20-05-2011, 01:34 PM
thought about taking car for a drive to heat up oil thus expanding sump + bolt?? I always drain oil hot/warm, oil is thinner then to so comes out like water

string
20-05-2011, 06:10 PM
-nuked-

trism
20-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I always just tighten so it wont come undone by hand. I've done that on all my cars and I've never had a problem. Just a fresh washer.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

eren
20-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Its all good :) so end thread here ~

mugen_ctr
21-05-2011, 12:22 AM
just use a sca breaker bar, sca sockets in single hex, will do the job, just when you put it back on use a torque wrench, it doesn't need a lot of torque to stay on

I have yet to break any cheap tools, they come with life time warranties now

cheap tools usually mean the 2 dollar shop ones, SCA dont count as cheap LOL SCA ones are pretty good, ive been using em for a bit now, similar to King chrome, but prbs not as strong as that

aimre
21-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Torque wrench or breaker bar~

Why would u use a torque wrench to undo a stuck bolt??????

Sounds dangerous.

Come on guys, this is a sump bolt not a crank pulley bolt or a head bolt. If I can muscle it off, anyone can :D

U jokin??? Ur ment to drain warm oil

string
21-05-2011, 01:16 AM
-nuked-

u mad?
21-05-2011, 02:14 AM
how tight are you guys doing up your bloody sump plugs lol

flipfire
21-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I always do mine when its warm, just reach for the bolt once its loosened. Wait 30mins for the oil to drip and engine should be cool enough to change the filter.

dougie_504
21-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Why would u use a torque wrench to undo a stuck bolt??????

Because it's bigger than your average wrench and provides more leverage???????????????????

JDM-derek
22-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Because it's bigger than your average wrench and provides more leverage???????????????????

Torque wrench were not made to undo bolts , if you do use it to undo bolts youve
just screwed your bar up lol.

dougie_504
22-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Torque wrench were not made to undo bolts , if you do use it to undo bolts youve
just screwed your bar up lol.

I wouldn't recommend using it for every bolt, but have used mine to remove a couple of stubborn ones. Works fine, but I only use it if there's not enough room for a breaker bar like when you're under the car. It's not like I'm putting 150nm of pressure on it...

shepparton
22-05-2011, 03:46 PM
no flammers im only 16 and dont wanna go mechanics

lesson learned

JDM-derek
22-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't recommend using it for every bolt, but have used mine to remove a couple of stubborn ones. Works fine, but I only use it if there's not enough room for a breaker bar like when you're under the car. It's not like I'm putting 150nm of pressure on it...

but still its up to you,but undoing it does stuff up the torque calibration, i get my Torque Bar calibrated every year or so, but im a mechanic so yeh lol.

EK1.6LCIV
22-05-2011, 08:02 PM
theyre able to remove bolts too, Ive had my calibrated a few times, doesn't change a thing, it's just using fulcrum

VT3C
23-05-2011, 05:02 PM
My first thought was Righty-tighty, Lefty-Loosey as we've all done it on the sump at one stage :)

you REALLY shouldnt need to use a breaker bar on it - the OEM Torque specs for the sump bolt are only like 20foot-Lbs or something.. sounds like your mechanic been using the rattle gun FTL.

breaker bar never fails.

I cant agree with that one ;) 3 x (supercheap spec) breaker bars in the bin and one SOLID slide breaker bar (now S-shaped) and the nut still won !! haha.

and yeah ALWAYS drive your car till it's fully warm then jack up the car etc ready to drop the oil as soon as you can while it's as hot as possible !

DO NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH TO UN-DO ANY NUT OR BOLT - YOU WILL DAMAGE THE TORQUE WRENCH :(

xclusive_eg8
23-05-2011, 10:10 PM
once car is warm, jack and support on stands, loosen the sump bolt while you are under car, put same socket on a long extension, wind out bolt by hand while reaching sump from passenger side winding it out and bam!! Bolt is out (its ok to fall into the container your using to catch the oil), your not burnt and your getting a nice smooth drain.......... there you go, easy, simple and your gotta be dumb to still burn yourself!

dougie_504
24-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Yeah nice - I have a bad habit of dripping oil on my arm and into my hair etc haha. Once I didn't notice until the morning and my pillowcase was covered in oil/grease :D

xclusive_eg8
25-05-2011, 12:48 AM
That is the reason I always have a hot as shower straight after service or any car work. Amazing how much stuff gets on you.Oil on my arms or hands is my pet hate, makes it so so so hard to grip the oil filter when u cbf washing hands.