PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issue - Brand New battery + Jumper for 20 mins

VeYzZii
18-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Hey guys. I havent driven or started the s2 for about a month. I bought a brand new battery about 3 months ago.. So i decided to start it today but had a flat battery. So i jumpered it for 10 mins, tried to start but didnt even turn over once. I revved the car and tried starting but still nothing.. Done both a couple of times but still nothing.. If i unconnect the jumpers, the car is powerless. Not even the incabin lights turn on. On my apexi it shows the voltage at about 10.7 - 12.7 STABLE. Ive let it charge for about 5 mins and during the 5 mins the voltage did not increase at all.. When i turn the headlights on, the voltage drops to like 8. (THIS IS ALL WHILST THE CAR IS JUMPERED TO A WORKING CAR). I know a typical cause of this would simply be the battery not holding a charge, but the battery is almost brand new and upto the rim with acid... Any suggestions?

phatty
19-05-2011, 01:16 AM
My car was exactly like yours on my ek.. i have a possible solution:
Try linking your battery to another car that is ON to their battery with jumper cables and rev that car to like 2k-3k for 5-10min.. Thats what my mechanic said to me and it worked, my ek turned on with no troubles and keeps turning on like normal. Hope this helps

vyets
19-05-2011, 08:26 AM
push start lol

maybe the car your using to jump your s2k is too old and the battery is already weak.

ricerockets
19-05-2011, 09:17 AM
could be crappy jumper leads too, couldnt even start a scooter connected to a car that was turned on and revved, took apart the cables and found out why, the copper wiring inside was of pretty crap quality and as my mate put it "couldnt even power speakers" because of how little of the wires there was lol

VeYzZii
19-05-2011, 11:26 AM
My car was exactly like yours on my ek.. i have a possible solution:
Try linking your battery to another car that is ON to their battery with jumper cables and rev that car to like 2k-3k for 5-10min.. Thats what my mechanic said to me and it worked, my ek turned on with no troubles and keeps turning on like normal. Hope this helps

Hey man. Yea the car was running. I may have been impatient. But the fact that when I took the leads off there was absolutely to power in my battery just turned me off. Yea the car it was hooked up to was running all the time and revving. I'll give it another go tonight. I leave it overnight :P
Thanks dude.

push start lol

maybe the car your using to jump your s2k is too old and the battery is already weak.

Haha. The cars in my garage. And unfortunately we live on a battle-axe land and my driveway is a 20 meter uphill runway to the road.. The car is a 2010 320d. I've used it to jumper it before. But maybe the cables are slowly taking the toll of so many jumps. Thanks for input. Worst worst worst is I hire some labours to pull it out of driveway and then well give it a go. Haha.

could be crappy jumper leads too, couldnt even start a scooter connected to a car that was turned on and revved, took apart the cables and found out why, the copper wiring inside was of pretty crap quality and as my mate put it "couldnt even power speakers" because of how little of the wires there was lol

I'm gonna try to start it again tonight. If that doesn't work I'll probably end up buying those jumpers that are charged via a Powerpoint. That way it eliminates any problems that may be caused by the car I'm using to jumper and the cables. Thanks for input man.

xclusive_eg8
19-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Disconnect the battery from s2k and connect jumperleads straight from other car to the s2k terminals and start from there. Sometimes when the battery dies it basically becomes a high ohm resistor. Else check the negative terminal connection to the chassis. Know my EG hung on starter cause of aged grounding

zhong
19-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Or bring the battery back for a brand new replacement. :D

I'd check fuses too if I were you. 10 minutes of charging from another running car while jumped, should do the trick for most batteries.

Peace.

VeYzZii
19-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Disconnect the battery from s2k and connect jumperleads straight from other car to the s2k terminals and start from there. Sometimes when the battery dies it basically becomes a high ohm resistor. Else check the negative terminal connection to the chassis. Know my EG hung on starter cause of aged grounding

I'm pretty sure connecting straight to the s2000 lead won't work. Not enough current allowed through. Maybe if I connect to solely the battery terminals on the battery and charge it for a while. And then try to give it a crank. Or put another battery on to see if the car will start. I will defiantly check the earthing. Cheers dude.

YLDS2K
19-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I would suggest looking into your alternator and ask the question y is it not holding charge or sending power to the battery.

Second suggestion is to make sure your battery starting capabilities are up to OEM specs and that the battery you have got is of sufficiant plates and amp's in order to start the car.

3rd suggestion is call a qualified and trusted auto elec and get your wiring all checked

Goodluck

honda_zivic
19-05-2011, 08:24 PM
i had a similar prblm with my daily. but all fixed.

charge the battery fully.
no jump start is gona start a dead bAattery even if it has some volts in it.
and leave the car run for 10-20min isnt gona do shit, go drive the car for a while thats how it charges up.

if after driving it for a while and when u turn it off and try start again and doesnt then ur battery is fukd. go exchange for a new batt.
or borrow a mates batt and try it, if if it still doesnt hold charge to start then ur alternator is fukd.
or u can unhook ur batt and connect a jump start to it.

Hasbeen
20-05-2011, 12:38 AM
It can be hard to get a really flat battery to start to charge.

One of my cars recently flattened its battery when the glove box lid catch became loose. I found out later that the thing did not shut tight enough to turn the glove box light off, & after a couple of days sitting, the thing was totally dead. It had just 2.4 volts in it. Jumpers did not work with it either.

When I connected a 10 amp battery charger to it, in the car the charger did not fire up at all. After disconnecting the terminals prior to removing the battery I connected the charger direct to the battery posts in half hearted hope. It took a little while for a 1 amp charge to register, which built up to a full 10 amps over a few minutes.

When I asked a sparky mate about this he said it was common, & that they would hit a non responding battery with 24 volts for a few seconds, if they thought it was stuffed, & sometimes that would shock them into life, & they would take a charge after that.

phatty
21-05-2011, 02:10 AM
You can also try clutch starting it, then drive around for like 10minutes or so and see if it turns on after that

VeYzZii
22-05-2011, 01:12 AM
i had a similar prblm with my daily. but all fixed.

charge the battery fully.
no jump start is gona start a dead bAattery even if it has some volts in it.
and leave the car run for 10-20min isnt gona do shit, go drive the car for a while thats how it charges up.

if after driving it for a while and when u turn it off and try start again and doesnt then ur battery is fukd. go exchange for a new batt.
or borrow a mates batt and try it, if if it still doesnt hold charge to start then ur alternator is fukd.
or u can unhook ur batt and connect a jump start to it.

Cheers for youe input but It should still charge when its still. You dont need to drive it around. Alternator doesnt run of your drive shaft, so what difference would it make if you rev it on the spot, or drive it.. Runs on the belt.. Beside, thats not the problem, my problem is i havent driven it for a month and it doesnt start, even with the best battery youll still be in same situation. Its not a charging problem, just a starting issue..

VeYzZii
22-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I checked all earthing and cleaned and polished the metal they where touching, but still the same issue.. I tried jumping again, this time after about an hour it had enough power to turn the motor once then died out. So i just took it back and got a brand new one.. Im guessing if i charged it long enough it would kick over but i just couldnt be bothered if there was warrenty.. Like HasBeen had said, its hard getting a dead battery back to life.. +1 for Warranty.

honda_zivic
22-05-2011, 02:23 AM
from my experience reving on the spot or let it run for 20mins never work 4 me.

as soon as i turn off da engine and try start again it wont start. gota drive the car for it charged.