PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice.

prem123
19-05-2011, 06:28 PM
So my best freind's, Uncle is selling his EK for 3.5k... With RWC and rego. its the non-vtec coupe. I'm really keen. But interior plus paint = shit. Also the engine and tranny don't seem that great. It has done 170k kms.

Of course im going to dump the engine and tranny and get a B16 or B18.... But the questions is What is a wise idea?

or even k20?

I know someone that will do the engine swap for me he has lots of experience. He will do it for me for $500. But do i need an engineers certificate ?

I want it for casual and track driving.

Glocker
19-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Is it a 1.6L? Are you in NSW? B16 or B18 there's no problem, no need engineers' cert if you have a 1.6L engine, K20 will be a bit too much. If you have the coin, ITR B18C7 engine.

Riced_Civic
19-05-2011, 07:07 PM
yes u would need a engineers cert from the D to the B series im guessing depending on where u are u might not

imo go for a B18, cos u can spend less on motor as its pretty good in stock form and spend the cash on suspension if you are going to track it a few times.

but if u got the cash for K20 by all means go for it

prem123
19-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes it is a 1.6 L . I live in VIC. I do have a tight budget so ill look for a b18.

Thanks for the advice.

How much would a engineers cert Be??

Do you guys know any good places for half cuts?

mugen_ctr
19-05-2011, 07:32 PM
so its the EJ model, that has the Y7 auto tranny and the facelift?

All Ej8 (preface lifts) have the Y8 vtec motor, so odds are u got he Ej6 which is what i had typed up top

TheSaint
19-05-2011, 07:35 PM
170k kms isnt high at all - thats pretty normal for a car of that age

tripleuse
19-05-2011, 07:47 PM
i personally wouldnt bother paying 3.5k if ur just going to use the shell. if u were to buy it keep it as a daily, and buy a cheap ek or eg for 1000 or less and b18/b20/k20 it for track.

jeremydawg
19-05-2011, 09:21 PM
well you said the gearbox, engine, interior, paint all suck. So why bother lol. If your doing a conversion get a ek, eg or whatever you want, with a crap motor but clean interior/exterior. your mates gonna do a kswap for you for $500?? whats his number lols. engineers cert can cost around 1k i believe. If you get the swap done by a proffesional business they usually give you the option to add engineers cert for around $300.

how soon are you planning on doing the swap?

prem123
19-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Yep i guess its a Ej6. It does have the face lift But it is manual .
And engine i know its non-vtec 1.6. But thats all

"tripleuse

i personally wouldnt bother paying 3.5k if ur just going to use the shell. if u were to buy it keep it as a daily, and buy a cheap ek or eg for 1000 or less and b18/b20/k20 it for track.

"

I might take that into consideration. Its a good/wise idea.

Thank you all . :thumbsup:

prem123
19-05-2011, 09:44 PM
well you said the gearbox, engine, interior, paint all suck. So why bother lol. If your doing a conversion get a ek, eg or whatever you want, with a crap motor but clean interior/exterior. your mates gonna do a kswap for you for $500?? whats his number lols. engineers cert can cost around 1k i believe. If you get the swap done by a proffesional business they usually give you the option to add engineers cert for around $300.

how soon are you planning on doing the swap?

Im sure its mates rates :P sorry. I only want it so bad because its the coupe and i haven't seen many of them in that price range. Which i know is silly but i really want that body.

I haven't bought the EJ. Went to look at it. And i was planning on going this weekend to get it. But you guys are opening my eyes that it is a waste of money.

But I do want to get a body soon. It has been put off much too long. I need to get on the track.

jeremydawg
19-05-2011, 09:48 PM
yeah mate, i was only joking lol.

good idea, its best not to rush into anything. you want your car to look good as well as perform.

prem123
19-05-2011, 10:04 PM
There's two civics on ebay and they are in way better condition....

Thanks man. saved me

dougie_504
19-05-2011, 10:42 PM
You can put in a B16A2 without issues.

In VIC you can only change the engine to another engine which was a standard option for the car in the Australian market.

Anything else, bigger or smaller, you need Eng Cert.