PDA

View Full Version : Cannon or Oval or Twinloop Muffler?

adoumii
20-05-2011, 03:36 PM
heyy everyone i know this topic has been talked about earlier but there hasnt been a clear answer or something even close.

what would be a better choice performance wise for low, mid and high end revs?
currently fitted is 2.5'' piping, h-f cat and 2 resonators.

im looking more for performance than overall sound as im sure its going to be loud enough either way

and if so what branding would be best?

TheSaint
20-05-2011, 04:35 PM
too many variables
depends on brand, type, design

a quality product of one variant is going to be better than a low quality of another
therefor you are only limited by funds

the best quality / peforming mufflers on the market are offered by mugen, spoon, buddyclub and fujitsubo
but they are rather expensive - and most of them you can only buy as a complete catback

the apexi WS2 should get a considerable mention - although it is quiet

if you are looking to cheap out on a replica or ebay unit - the twinloop option will give you the best of both canon and oval barrel

mocchi
20-05-2011, 04:36 PM
adoumii,

you should read this.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/surferx/126-exhaust-purchasing-guide.html

This article is designed to be a last step in choosing which exhaust will fit your needs. If you have not read our previous exhaust articles please check these out in order to help you choose the right exhaust system.

Exhaust Basics
Advanced Exhaust Tech
Advanced Exhaust Tech II: Backpressure and Area
Exhaust design effects on noise

Hopefully by now you have a good idea of the characteristics you require out of an exhaust system. Sometimes it's hard to drag the actual specs of exhausts out of the manufacturers (because they know it's the same as alot of others out there) so this chart is designed to help you see just who is who in the world of catback exhaust systems.

Exhaust tubing is measured on the outer diameter meaning the thickness of the walls have also been added into the measurement. Depending on material used in the system, wall thickness can vary from 0.8mm-1.5mm. The most common wall thickness you find in exhausts including the stock exhaust using 16-gauge steel is 1.5mm.

Will an exhaust made for a different model Integra fit my car?
Please view the Common Topic: Exhaust size differences in the Generation 3 forum for information on this.

Dan, i.e. TheGSRGuy, has submitted the majority of soundclips for you all to download and listen to exhausts you may be interested in. Keep in mind that sounds can differ depending on other engine modifications, recording conditions, microphone quality, etc. so the actual exhaust as it sounds on your car may or may not sound the same as in these clips. Also, I don't guarantee the accuracy of the pics provided as most of them are "stock photos" provided by the manufacturer. Your application may slighty differ.

Main Article:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/categories/exhaust-systems/

mugen_ctr
21-05-2011, 12:19 AM
For track work, straight through pipes, no cat, no resonators, maybe a high end muffler and mandrel bends, for ultimate flow and performance, but i do believe some tracks have noise limits

BennyH
21-05-2011, 12:24 AM
too many variables
depends on brand, type, design

a quality product of one variant is going to be better than a low quality of another
therefor you are only limited by funds

the best quality / peforming mufflers on the market are offered by mugen, spoon, buddyclub and fujitsubo
but they are rather expensive - and most of them you can only buy as a complete catback

the apexi WS2 should get a considerable mention - although it is quiet

if you are looking to cheap out on a replica or ebay unit - the twinloop option will give you the best of both canon and oval barrel

Hey, don't mean to bombard your thread, but as you mentioned The Saint, WS2 is a tad quiet. Have you heard much about the Apexi N1 ?

eren
21-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Dont get a cannon Cause there loud and sound like its farting my experience i have 1 now im trying to get twinloop :D

mugen_ctr
21-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Dont get a cannon Cause there loud and sound like its farting my experience i have 1 now im trying to get twinloop :D

farting???? unless ur running a ebay one, or monza one, i think u are very wrong here.... the proper cannons like HKS, Apexi, Vision etc etc have a subtle tone, roar, drone to em, nothing like those cheap arse cannons that sound like shit house

If u ever seen the internals of one of those aftermarket JDM mufflers, u will see why, compare em to the crappy ones, an u will under stand why they all have a certain sound to em ;)

Any muffler thats has a oval designed, is bound to be quite.... and the best one ive seen is the apexi ws2, as for apexi n1, its also a cannon designed, so its bound to be loud

It seems the honda ppl in general are against the cannons, i see no problems with it, infact i love my cannon, got a great roar to it, an sounds like a worked up engine, even though its a stockie hehehehhe

TheSaint
21-05-2011, 11:34 PM
i had a brand name canon on my subaru - gave me the shits so i changed to to an oval barrel

on the other hand a couple of my mates had different brand name canons on thier subis and they were quieter than the oval barrel i got lol

iv heard alot of different exhausts on a lot of different cars and i personally just dont like the way the canons sound on honda engines - duno what it is lol

kimang
21-05-2011, 11:38 PM
branded cannons have a more deep sound. my cousin had a HKS cannon n it was quiet n deep sounding.

atm i have a dc5r mugen twinloop on my 2.5 piping with res. looks stock but a bit loud when acc. idle is dead quiet tho..

mugen_ctr
21-05-2011, 11:45 PM
branded cannons have a more deep sound. my cousin had a HKS cannon n it was quiet n deep sounding.

atm i have a dc5r mugen twinloop on my 2.5 piping with res. looks stock but a bit loud when acc. idle is dead quiet tho..

thats the thing though, my idle is dead quite as well, pays to get a good muffler, cannon or oval shaped, ive heard some oval shaped mufflers that sound much louder than mine on idle

charliebrown
21-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Why is it desirable to have quiet on idle? isnt it cool to have rumble lol

mugen_ctr
22-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Why is it desirable to have quiet on idle? isnt it cool to have rumble lol

cops man LOL, when u clutch in, or sitting at a booze bus, the last thing u want is them the be standing around wondering where that rumble is coming from....

One of the baddest an loudest idle ive heard was on a R33 GTR, standing next to it, it literally shook ur body lol.....

And also ppl say non-turbo exhaust are loud, pffffttttt as if, turbo cars are so much more louder, clearly those ppl never experienced it before hand

charliebrown
22-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Turbo rumble is sick as. Just not at 3am where they idle it in front of my house lol best combo cannon + 3x turbo whistler

TheSaint
22-05-2011, 12:31 AM
cops man LOL, when u clutch in, or sitting at a booze bus, the last thing u want is them the be standing around wondering where that rumble is coming from....

One of the baddest an loudest idle ive heard was on a R33 GTR, standing next to it, it literally shook ur body lol.....

And also ppl say non-turbo exhaust are loud, pffffttttt as if, turbo cars are so much more louder, clearly those ppl never experienced it before hand

full atmo dump wastegate for the win =)

kimang
23-05-2011, 02:08 PM
adelaide is going to be putting a fine on top of ur defect. so therefore. quiet is better for me. LOL! my cousins supra is crazy loud..

trism
23-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Lukey are now making a bi-modal muffler that works in a similar way to all the new exotics and high end muscle cars.

They have a spring loaded flap so under idle and light accell the flap is closed forcing the gas to go thru all the baffling but at high revs the pressure opens the flap and it turns into a straight thru type muffler.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

mugen_ctr
23-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Lukey are now making a bi-modal muffler that works in a similar way to all the new exotics and high end muscle cars.

They have a spring loaded flap so under idle and light accell the flap is closed forcing the gas to go thru all the baffling but at high revs the pressure opens the flap and it turns into a straight thru type muffler.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

Interesting, because most variable exhaust on the market like apexi one or varex, u can see how its operated an u can see where it sits, now with this, it should even out the playing field, as technically u cant adjust it manually... if i recall those newer HSV commo have the same system inbuilt in there exhaust system