PDA

View Full Version : 98 Civic - Manual to Automatic Conversion

theforce
21-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi guys,

As per title, I want to convert my manual civic to auto. :eek: I know. Most of my search results in the usual 'auto to manual conversion'. I want to know what is required.

Car is a 1998 Civic Cxi 1.6L.

I believe I'll need a auto gearbox, auto computer, drive shafts? and that's all I can think of so far.

If this topic has been covered elsewhere then could you please send me the link as I couldn't find any useful info.

lilthug
21-05-2011, 05:40 PM
sell car..
buy auto...

easiest way

tiksie
21-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Will need to remove the clutch pedal aswell, not sure if you need a new pedal box. Never did it the other way around.

trism
21-05-2011, 06:17 PM
You'll prob need an auto pedal box. Auto centre console and shifter. Auto loom.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

egb16b
21-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Just wondering why would you want to do this... ??

Cos it's a pretty big job if you don't know what you're doing.. I'd suggest just buying an auto n sell your manual.

MIKO_OL
21-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Just sell it for an auto or swap for one man. better off that way.

My mate may consider his auto EG for your car.

theforce
21-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Cheers guys. Want to do this for someone who can't drive manual as they'll be driving it soon. I want to keep the car hence don't want to sell but rather just change the transmission, Plus selling this car and buying another will give me more problems/headaches IMO and take time.

So what I'll need are:

1. Auto Transmission
2. Auto Loom (is that full engine loom?)
3. Auto Centre Console & Shifter
4. Auto Pedal Box?
5. Drive Shafts?
6. Auto ECU
7. Auto Dash? so you can see the gears

anything else?

Also, since this model doesn't have a tacho, can I buy a tacho cluster and replace mine assuming there is a connector there already?

Symphorced
21-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Plus selling this car and buying another will give me more problems/headaches IMO and take time.

Negative.

-Tom
21-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Negative.

Truth.

theforce
22-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Guys, as I've said before. I'm not asking whether you guys think I should sell the car or not, I'm asking about Manual to Auto Conversion. If you have an auto civic and are willing to trade then feel free to get in touch. For me a conversion is easier, cheaper and saves time so that's what I'll try to do now. Hopefully that more than answers your queries.

So now if anyone has any info on the conversion, please add.

Cheers

theforce
22-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Just sell it for an auto or swap for one man. better off that way.

My mate may consider his auto EG for your car.

Keen on EK but PM me some info on that EG.

eren
26-05-2011, 01:19 AM
WAT why Manual is better i have auto and wanan manual sooo bad its a 96' gli hatch

tiksie
26-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Cheers guys. Want to do this for someone who can't drive manual as they'll be driving it soon. I want to keep the car hence don't want to sell but rather just change the transmission, Plus selling this car and buying another will give me more problems/headaches IMO and take time.

So what I'll need are:

1. Auto Transmission
2. Auto Loom (is that full engine loom?)
3. Auto Centre Console & Shifter
4. Auto Pedal Box?
5. Drive Shafts?
6. Auto ECU
7. Auto Dash? so you can see the gears

anything else?

Also, since this model doesn't have a tacho, can I buy a tacho cluster and replace mine assuming there is a connector there already?

Don't really need a Auto cluster.. I mean, there are guys out there using EG6 Auto clusters in their manual civics because it's "jdm yo~".

UkuleleGod
28-05-2011, 04:04 PM
You could always teach the person driving it to drive manual?

If they have a basic knowledge of the road rules, they should be able to pick it up in no time at all.

TheSaint
28-05-2011, 04:14 PM
you have to pass your driving test in an manual car these days anyway lol

really the problems that you will get in the process of swapping or selling the car and buying another are nothing compared to the headache of converting a manual car to auto
not to mention the cost of the parts, the labour and the down time on the car

this REALLY isnt worth considering - especially when there are people already gauging interest in a swap

michaelz
30-05-2011, 12:41 PM
WAT why Manual is better i have auto and wanan manual sooo bad its a 96' gli hatch

why don't you try and arrange a trade with the OP?

Converting a manual to auto is like giving your girlfriend a boob reduction. DON'T do it. Sell and buy another.

EG52NV
30-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Converting a manual to auto is like giving your girlfriend a boob reduction. DON'T do it. Sell and buy another.

Kinda like slapping god in the face lol