PDA

View Full Version : Car service question

sexy_shazam
22-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey everyone

So in January I bought a Purple 1997 Ek1 civic. Before I picked it up the dealer did the 120k service for me even though the car was at 118k. Now since my car trips are mainly short ones so i know I should service the car every 6 months instead of 12. Ive only done about 3k so far. If it makes a diffrence I have the service history and the service manual.

So just curious
What do i need to get done?
Also any Idea how much it will cost me?
What are the major and minor service intervals ?

Thanks.

kcokla
22-05-2011, 04:53 PM
How long has it been since the last service?

Service it every 6 months, or roughly ever 5-7k-km's. - whichever comes first.

check around the 100k mark if the timing belt and water pump was changed - if not, do it asap.

If it has, depending on if you require a minor service now, change the engine oil and coolant and oil filter.
'l
if your in sydney, pm bennjiman(?forgot how to spell it) and he'll sort it out for a good price.

sexy_shazam
22-05-2011, 04:59 PM
How long has it been since the last service?

Service it every 6 months, or roughly ever 5-7k-km's. - whichever comes first.

check around the 100k mark if the timing belt and water pump was changed - if not, do it asap.

If it has, depending on if you require a minor service now, change the engine oil and coolant and oil filter.
'l
if your in sydney, pm bennjiman(?forgot how to spell it) and he'll sort it out for a good price.

The car was last serviced in late january which was the 120k service.
Is there a way I can check to see if it has been done? the last owner always serviced the car at a Honda dealership so id assume it would have been done.
My local mechanic quoted $170 for it not sure if that includes labor though.

kcokla
22-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds like you can keep driving or another month or even two without having to worry,

You said you have the log books and service history, - it should say what has been done in there.

$170 would most definately include labour.
If you want, you can go get yourself some fluids and an oil filter (around 90 all up) and do it yourself.
there are threads in the DIY section that teach you.

my recommendation is, as i said if your in sydney , pm bennjamin

Kaixen Xenon
03-07-2011, 10:54 PM
hey kcokla, please clear your pm - it's full.
invoice is available, let me know which bulb type/colour your interested in, cheers.
-Jason

trism
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Go off km for serving, rather than time. So every 5thousand kms change oil and oil filter, and every 15 change air filter. Every 20 change plugs, just use normal coppers, not iridiums or platinums.