PDA

View Full Version : NSW Power-to-manual steering - pink slip inspection

qikteg
23-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Just bought another car for my b-series swap, and it has to be without powersteering anyway, because there's not enough room in the engine bay following the swap. 88 integra

But for now, the previous owner removed the powersteering belt because there was a power steering fluid leak (in looking at the leak, i think its because he filled it something that wasn't p/s fluid... looks more like brake fluid) Anyway.

So rather than try and solve the leak (as powersteering will be removed anyway), I basically want to revert the rack back to manual steering. I'll remove the pump, reservoir, cooler, piping, and basically plug the line holes at the rack. I might fill the valve chamber with some automotive grease to keep it lubricated, but basically, it'll be a sealed unit.

do you think this will pose any problems in getting a pink slip? some integras at the time came out with manual steering, as did civic's and CRX's of the same vintage. ultimately i'll do a sub-frame swap, but just need to get this done for pinkslip

trism
23-05-2011, 03:06 PM
No it won't. There's nothing on the rego info about if its PS or not.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

bennjamin
23-05-2011, 04:09 PM
No it won't. There's nothing on the rego info about if its PS or not.

...but the very reason for power-assisted steering , is to tie in with the exact steering rack ratio and weightand or power of the car. This , in itself requires engineering so for the OP to get this 100% right its gotta be the proper manual rack of the same chassis. Should be a simple blue slip ($58 ish) to pass if its a replacement rack from mentioned above ! Problem is IF you just want to DIY something up it will not pass engineering and thus will not pass rego.
Op , doing as you state above will NOT pass blue/pink slip and thus not pass rego. Engineers arent dumb and will ask questions. Sure...there used to be "dodgy" rego places but its not worth the risk to them to just pass any old car.

trism
23-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Guarantee you that the mechanic wouldn't pick up on it.

bennjamin
23-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Guarantee you that the mechanic wouldn't pick up on it.

Cant make that comment on a public forum dude. Unless the mech is a monkey - they would rather keep their mechanical license than pass something unsafe and get caught !