PDA

View Full Version : 2000 VTiR Prelude

Lepperfish
25-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, my mrs just picked up a 2000 model VTiR of her parents for 9k. They've had it for 7 years and its only got 122,000km on it.

It's a triptronic auto, Is it safe to redline them through the gears in the triptronic mode?

I gave it a good spirited drive the other night through some twistys mainly just in 2nd gear on the triptronic side. Seemed really strong and keeping the revs up around 4500-7500 I was pretty impressed how the car went/handled.

So yeah, what about changing between the gears at high rpm?

Thanks all.

bennjamin
25-05-2011, 09:10 PM
thats the point of a REDLINE - isn't it ?

Sorry for the sarcasm...but yes its perfectly safe. Just make sure the engine is warmed up and go for it.

Lepperfish
25-05-2011, 10:10 PM
thats the point of a REDLINE - isn't it ?

Sorry for the sarcasm...but yes its perfectly safe. Just make sure the engine is warmed up and go for it.

Yeah all good. Just from searching around on here seems people are afraid to give the triptronic a good flogging.

curtis265
26-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Congrats! Preludes are probably the most underrated cars around - they're so unheard of compared anything with a type R variant...

Some say the older ones have huge problems... but if i'm not wrong the '00 ones should be OK. I can't be sure, i got a manual.

have a look at other forums, preludes are almost nonexistent here

gumus89
26-05-2011, 12:29 PM
The pre 99 models were said to have too tight tolerances inside the auto gearbox and so would fail way too early. They fixed the problem after that but the auto is still easily weaker than the manual. Its also slower due to both drivetrain losses and the fact that the ratios are horrible. Who the **** needs to go to 100km/h in first!