PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Steering Feel

l3vnd1
26-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi all

Having owned the S2000 ('99 AP1) now for about 6 months, I have thoroughly enjoyed the car.

However there has been something missing with the steering that I couldnt quite pin point.

To attempt to rectify, I purchased 4 brand new OEM S02 tyres and put the UK spec alignment on. This greatly improved the handling but I feel that the steering FEEL is a little disapointing.

Please do not get this confused with turn in - with regards to turn in, it is one of the best! :-)

When in a corner approaching the limit of grip, I feel that there is a lack of communication between me and the road. I find myself see-sawing the steering wheel to get an idea of how the car is behaving. This makes it difficult to explore the limits of what is a truely amazing chassis.

Having come from an EVO9, I found this car to have impecible steering feel out of all cars that I have owned. (Matching even that of a 911 Porsche, if not better)

Perhaps I have been spoilt? Or perhaps it is the electric steering (EPS) in the S2000 that gives this artificial feel.

Either way, can anybody shed some light on how to achieve more feel and communication in the steering? Would an underbody X brace be the way to go?

Any input appreciated. :wave:

Chris

Ferrari
26-05-2011, 06:15 PM
You can remove EPS and fit an RX7 steering rack in it's place. I think EPS is to blame for steering feel or lack thereof. Going to a wider tyre setup up front helped a bit.

string
26-05-2011, 07:26 PM
-nuked-

9large
26-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Note: The EPS (calibration) on the 2002 and 2003 was vastly improved over the early AP1 models. The steering on the earlier models was light and vague at times - the 2002 and 2003 steering is heavier and more direct.

string
26-05-2011, 08:43 PM
-nuked-

l3vnd1
27-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi all

Thanks for the replies

I think my alignment got the caster to 6.8

Would this affect the steering feel in a bad way? I notice it is a little bit heavier which I actually like..

Also good to note about the EPS calibration - is this just a software update? Or does the whole unit need changing?

My thoughts also went to new shock absorbers (perhaps out of gas) and also the CR steering rack stiffener.