PDA

View Full Version : High pitch squeaking sound = worn bushings?

charliebrown
27-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question... my dad does not take care of his car and every day it just gets worse and worse. This has been going on for about 2 years btw. It used to be squeaking hard whenever you turned too much. Now it squeaks whenever the car is not driving straight. Does my head in everytime he moves his car cos it's fkn loud. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems maybe the front bushings are gone or something. I told him to fix it cos it'll just get worse and could possibly be a safety hazard. He won't look after his own car so i figured i'll just find out what's wrong and replace the worn part for him.

Thanks for any help

PS: I think it's a '95 corolla csi hatch

trism
27-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Bushes or shocks. Just replace them all.

Sent from my Xoom

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 11:49 AM
It's a Corolla, so I would recommend replacing the car.

TheSaint
27-05-2011, 11:50 AM
It's a Corolla, so I would recommend replacing the car.

nothing wrong with corollas - they are very good quality cars

na-118
27-05-2011, 11:54 AM
ever checked power steering components like belt tensions and rack? or you assuming its bushes

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 12:08 PM
nothing wrong with corollas - they are very good quality cars
Are they? They are reliable, I'll give em that.

They have a feeling of cheapness, esp interior. Everything is so budget. Compared to Civic they aren't good quality.

I am a hater.

beeza
27-05-2011, 12:18 PM
LOL Mike!

The DOHC model kicks ass,my sisters boy had his turbo'ed and supercharged 10 yrs ago.

He offered it to me for $13k but I knew nothing about cars and said no,I would probably kill myself :)

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 12:27 PM
turbo does help. I guess if you don't care about style then Corolla is ok. Speaking of turbo, I heard that Jeff in his turbo datto 1600 beat the Hondas @ lakeside on Sunday. 63 seconds best lap or something like that.

TheSaint
27-05-2011, 12:52 PM
have you ever driven a corolla sportivo? they are nicer inside and out than an EK4 and have lift (similar to vtec)
and those older model red tops and black tops are just amazing to drive even in stock form
dont even get me started on the BZ Levins =)

toyota, honda and subaru hold the top seats when it comes to style and performance - nissan and mitsubishi interiors are so plain

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 04:49 PM
have you ever driven a corolla sportivo? they are nicer inside and out than an EK4 and have lift (similar to vtec)
and those older model red tops and black tops are just amazing to drive even in stock form
dont even get me started on the BZ Levins =)

toyota, honda and subaru hold the top seats when it comes to style and performance - nissan and mitsubishi interiors are so plain

yes, i am well aware of the 2zz-ge Corolla and the last generation Celica.

Actually the last Celica I like the look of, but being Corolla specific I think they all look like dog's balls. Interiors too, especially older models.

Not to mention Impreza/wrx interiors, they are so cheap, creaky and hard. Auto reviewers have been savaging them for years! IMO Honda interiors shit all over the others, with only a few exceptions.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to piss you off..... Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder, but there is some truth to my argument.

TheSaint
27-05-2011, 05:02 PM
compare them to everything else on the market at the same price range and there really isnt an argument

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 05:14 PM
what do you mean? Do you mean comparing Jap cars to other cars?

TheSaint
27-05-2011, 06:21 PM
from all the different cars i have driven in the normal price range ($10k-$30k) - australian, japanese, european, american etc
toyota, subaru and honda have the nicest overall appearance, feel, interior and quality

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 06:29 PM
from all the different cars i have driven in the normal price range ($10k-$30k) - australian, japanese, european, american etc
toyota, subaru and honda have the nicest overall appearance, feel, interior and quality

You did forget to mention Mazda. They make some great cars.

TheSaint
27-05-2011, 06:35 PM
agreed - and they are one of the only manufacturers that still make their cars in japan instead of outsourcing as well

although i did not mention them because out of all the mazdas i have driven the quality wasnt consistent

when the first mazda6 shape came out they wernt very good
and almost every mazda (bar the rx range) before 1995 was a complete lemon
oh the nightmares i have had with them

the other brands i did cite have been consistent as far as i can remember

all the current mazdas are amazing though - the turbo awd sedan they used to make was brilliant as well - very nice little luxury car

Bludger
27-05-2011, 08:47 PM
back on topic......

check the power steering fluid.

charliebrown
27-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Lol why does my dad in his 50s need "style"? Half of the corolla has no paint! Previous owner got some shit $200 respray and sold it, got jibbed.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful responses. To check shocks, do i just get a fat mate to stand on it while holding it vertically and let it bounce back? Not sure how to check PS fluid, belts, bushes, rack etc though

Mikecivic78
27-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Lol why does my dad in his 50s need "style"? Half of the corolla has no paint! Previous owner got some shit $200 respray and sold it, got jibbed.

LOLZ

Look into power steer, like Bludger says, my instinct tells me that could be it.

Bludger
27-05-2011, 09:08 PM
high pitch sqeek when driving and steering wheel turned might be caused by cavitation of steering fluid. sound getting worse as fluid gets lower.

if you don't know, take it to someone to check for you.

jeremydawg
27-05-2011, 11:32 PM
my dads the same. If it aint broke dont fix it. Annoys the hell outta me

charliebrown
28-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Okie will check to see if steering fluid is lower than MAX level. But like i said, this has been happening for years. Surely he's had his fluids changed during a service

beeza
01-06-2011, 08:16 AM
turbo does help. I guess if you don't care about style then Corolla is ok. Speaking of turbo, I heard that Jeff in his turbo datto 1600 beat the Hondas @ lakeside on Sunday. 63 seconds best lap or something like that.

Ah true,he did aye!

Only just I bet hehehe

ljy1990
08-06-2011, 02:59 AM
if it sounds like its creaking like a wooden boat, then i think its your bushes, if its squeaking as in chirping sound like a bird continously at a constant rate, it could be the serpentine belt :)

charliebrown
08-06-2011, 06:13 AM
if it sounds like its creaking like a wooden boat, then i think its your bushes, if its squeaking as in chirping sound like a bird continously at a constant rate, it could be the serpentine belt :)

Very possible. Bird chirping sound constantly is definetely what it sounds like.