PDA

View Full Version : [Jazz] CVT reverse gear sound weird ...

ahcash
03-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi,

The reverse gear (CVT) definately sound a bit funny as compare to 'D' forward gear which is quiet all the time... it is not as quiet as it used to be.. and sort of a low buzzing sound..

Anyone have this problem on their CVT especially Jazz MY05 VTi CVT??

Probably I am a bit too sensitive.. :D

terris08
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
How long have you have your car for??
Did you hear the same kind of sound right from the beginning?

ahcash
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Only got it for less than a month... I am pretty sure it was damn quiet when first had it.. and there was not such noise... It is getting very noticeable when engine is hot... I think I will get it check out in the first service...

Just wondering if you guys have the same issue...

ahcash
03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Went out to pump petrol just now. Started the engine when cold.. no noise. Came back after 10km.. this is the noise I get... is this normal on a CVT?

What is that noise called?

Gear-R.wav (http://www.users.tpg.com.au/ahcash/MyJazz/Gear-R.WAV)

civiceg9
03-02-2005, 10:43 PM
sounds like your bearing is stuff.
Take it back to Honda.

TypeG
04-02-2005, 01:08 AM
lol
stuff so quick?
05 Jazz sound doddy as my frd 05 also got some problem on the gear

Andys
04-02-2005, 07:12 AM
My 03 vti CVT makes a funny whining noise in reverse, but it always has from day one. If yours changes in noise then I'd say you should get it looked at.

My gearbox was making a funny noise when cold but only in "D", when accelerating forwards. Honda replaced the gearbox completely under warranty without me even asking.

- Andrew

ECU-MAN
04-02-2005, 08:13 AM
guys its normal

CVT uses a planintry gear set to achive revers gear, so as soon as you select revers, Vzzzzzzzzzzzzz. there is nothing wrong with your trans, all civics, HRV and Jazz with CVT do this. its by design

Andys
04-02-2005, 08:16 AM
guys its normal

CVT uses a planintry gear set to achive revers gear, so as soon as you select revers, Vzzzzzzzzzzzzz. there is nothing wrong with your trans, all civics, HRV and Jazz with CVT do this. its by design

The sound is normal, yes -- but I think its wrong if it changes from day to day depending if its hot or not. It shouldn't be getting louder or perhaps something is wrong..

icejazz
04-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I have 03 VTI CVT and in reverse it has always made a different noise but I would have thought that to be normal.

cheers.

ahcash
04-02-2005, 09:36 AM
guys its normal

Thanks for the info... Yeah... I would have thought the Vzzzzz sound is normal which I rememered that is how it sounded like when the day I got it... but now it has changed with low level grinding sound and sqeaking sometimes. doesn't sound so good... I need to have this looked at next week.

ahcash
04-02-2005, 09:41 AM
lol
stuff so quick?
05 Jazz sound doddy as my frd 05 also got some problem on the gear

Really... I thought the 05 and 04 are the same mechanically?? Don't know.. probably need a tranny flush to get rid of some excess inside.. hahaha..

ahcash
10-02-2005, 09:37 AM
guys its normal

ECU-MAN is quite right..

Took the car in for a service this morning and made a complaint about the reverse gear noise. The tech was very helpful. We went for a test drive with me and the noise was there when in Reverse Gear. So, he suspected it is the characteristic of the Jazz reverse gear.. He took another demo MY05 VTi CVT out from the back of the workshop and we went out for a test drive again... Same noise... He is pretty sure that it is the characteristic of the Jazz.

I have a loan car from them which is MY04 Jazz VTi CVT. Also, make the same noise.

Well, that pretty much concludes my worries. Funny though my friend's 2003 Jazz didn't make such noise.. They must have changed something for the newer model? :)

ECU-MAN
10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
they all have the same design since 1996 as far as I know.

jefflei
11-02-2005, 10:12 AM
not really, quality depends on the year of built. like CPUs, the longer time they have been making one SAME thing, they quality improve~
the Jazz CVT (1.3L model) got a quite bad quality in those 02,03 model. start to get problems in different aspects like making strange sound and has to be replaced completely or exchange some core parts
04 model sounds fine but seems 05 they have new stuffs and new stuffs always contribute to problems~:confused:
I am preparing to change to gear box oil and filter after next 5k km service...

Really... I thought the 05 and 04 are the same mechanically?? Don't know.. probably need a tranny flush to get rid of some excess inside.. hahaha..

spoon fit
15-02-2005, 10:49 PM
do u know how many litre gear box oil we need? and do we need to change the "ring"?

D16Y
21-02-2005, 11:31 PM
does any1 here not have a squeaky CVT reverse geaR?