PDA

View Full Version : Smoke coming from the engine bay - HELP!

euRo_noob
28-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey guys,

So today, I lent my car to my cousin and he went to go eat with some friends and it's peek hour for this asian area that's packed as with fobs and shit all over the place trying to buy food and whatever else... Anyways, parking is a bitch to find and he was stuck on a really steep car park ramp, massive traffic on top level of the parking and all these cars behind him thus he couldn't move anywhere.. The effing genius didn't press the brakes/pull the hand brake because he's scared he'll roll back too far later so he just kept the car revving at 1-2.5k rpm for I don't know how long.. soon, there was smoking coming out of the engine bay so he got out, opened the hood just to have a cloud of smoke come out. It smelt really burnt and it still does, 2 hours later as well.
I've got it parked outside my house now with the hood open to get rid of the smell.. Any idea what happened? Is my engine wrecked or anything? Damaged the engine most probably?

Also, I've also been breathing in all that smoke/fumes... is that really bad? :S

Thanks guys :(

migoreng
28-05-2011, 05:21 PM
burnt clutch...
?

euRo_noob
28-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, a few other people have told me it's a burnt clutch too. What does that mean? Still new to this stuff.. Is it bad to keep driving? Will it have any effect on my driving? Will I need to replace the clutch? If so, how much are they roughly? :\

trism
28-05-2011, 05:30 PM
It means the clutch was spinning against the flywheel, rather than being pushed against it. It should be fine, but id make him pay for a replacement anyway. Prob about 500 bucks. And then machining of the flywheel, or even replacing it. Its a near 1k job.

euRo_noob
28-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Goddamn that's a friggen heap.. If I ignore it and just keep driving, will anything eff up? Or is there a chance I could be stranded with a non working car..

V8KLLR
28-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Yea. There is a manual prado at my work that everyone thrashes. The clutch is so ****ed up the friction point is all the way at the top and it will stall if you dont push it all they way down. Your car will eventually be like this. Your clutch will begin to slip then go downhill from there.

euRo_noob
28-05-2011, 05:59 PM
FML! When I'll see how it goes and see if it'll last until my next service (another 4,500km) and if it does, I'll mention it to them?

waix
28-05-2011, 07:34 PM
don't mention it to them, they might shaft you up the ass for a new one when you prob don't need one, your car is relatively new so I think it should be fine.

euRo_noob
28-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Ahh alright! Thanks for the help guys. If there's anything else, just share it! :D

Vtakk
18-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Driving manual cars is a nightmare when it comes to shopping centre car parks

trism
18-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Brool story co!