PDA

View Full Version : Quick advice

doosra
29-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey guys, after some quick advice.. I'm just doing some checks on my car and wanted to ask what this fluid level is sitting quite low.. I just remember the mech asked me to check this often.. If its too low, should I get any specific brand and what level?

dlai5552
29-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Sorry, I can't see it too well coz im on my iPhone. However, is it located towards the back, near the brake fluid?
If so, it would be the clutch fluid. You can use brake fluid for this, OEM is always good,
Or even the castrol brake fluid (grey bottle).

Fredoops
29-05-2011, 01:03 PM
if it's brake fluid, I wouldnt use Castrol DOT4 on a S2K.. just sayin.

OEM or some other high performance brake fluid... like redline or something

aozora
29-05-2011, 02:11 PM
If you have to check your clutch master often, it illustrates there's a faulty seal somewhere. You really shouldn't have to keep checking it.

I hope your mechanic checked your lines? If they're ok could be a leaking clutch master (you may see an "oily" liquid stream coming down the firewall to where your pedals are) or your clutch slave could be doing the same (located on your gearbox to push the clutch fork).
In which case you can either get them rebuilt with new seals or get them replaced...

dlai5552
29-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I've seen an s2000 have a leak throw here, so maybe it's a common issue?

But they had to put a whole new one, of those in your photos. Pretty gay job installing it too, but you would realise if there was leak or not, if your clutch starts to just drop to the ground, and you don't feel it disengaging to allow gear changes.

doosra
29-05-2011, 03:10 PM
is the brake fluid and clutch master 2 different things.. ? on the lid, it refers to brake fluid..

dlai5552
29-05-2011, 03:25 PM
yeah, they are two different holders, but same fluids.

euromandeluxe
29-05-2011, 04:27 PM
ie. the clutch and the brakes have 2 separate hydraulic systems (each operated by a different pedal), but both take brake fluid.

9large
29-05-2011, 04:36 PM
if it's brake fluid, I wouldnt use Castrol DOT4 on a S2K.. just sayin.

OEM or some other high performance brake fluid... like redline or something

I've used Castrol DOT4 brake fluid several times before, even for track days. I've never had a problem.

vyets
29-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I've used Castrol DOT4 brake fluid several times before, even for track days. I've never had a problem.

same here.!

gamgam
29-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I've seen an s2000 have a leak throw here, so maybe it's a common issue?

But they had to put a whole new one, of those in your photos. Pretty gay job installing it too, but you would realise if there was leak or not, if your clutch starts to just drop to the ground, and you don't feel it disengaging to allow gear changes.

If it dips low often, it might mean you have a leak in the clutch master cylinder and will have to go it replaced as I did.

euromandeluxe
30-05-2011, 01:52 AM
If it dips low often, it might mean you have a leak in the clutch master cylinder and will have to go it replaced as I did.

or the slave cylinder under the car on the transmission

doosra
30-05-2011, 09:14 AM
From the photo does it look low?

zhong
30-05-2011, 11:47 AM
You can't really check it from the top... On the side of the Clutch Fluid Reservoir, you shoudl see markings of MAX and MIN... Don't have it under MIN, and you should be alright... Best to keep it JUST under MAX, as levels can rise/drop whilst driving/hot/cold etc.

By the looks of it in the photo though, it seems you ARENT low, but your not FULL either.

I also used DOT4, and haven't experienced any problems.

Peace.

dlai5552
30-05-2011, 01:07 PM
make sure you pump the clutch though, so the fluid flows through. it light look high, but that's only in the cylinder, it needs to be full when passed through the lining as well.
And yeah, DOT4 has no issues! Try it :)
or seriously, OEM is ALWAYS good.

vyets
30-05-2011, 02:05 PM
also i would bleed it it loosk dirty az lol