PDA

View Full Version : Changing gears.

BennyH
30-05-2011, 10:01 PM
I own an EM1 for about two months now. Manual was self taught and whenever I drive the car it seem to jerk/shake alot. Turns out to be broken engine mounts, so I replaced that. although it felt alot better I still notice from gears 1-2 jerks a lot someytimes from 3-4 after that its good. And I know its not the way I drive cos I drove many of my friends cars and they dont jerk or anything like this.

Helps muchly appreciated as I do not know where to start with this.

xclusive_eg8
31-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Check the rest of the Mounts man. No doubt that another moun has busted to if one went already. Does revs jump around or anything odd like that??

BennyH
31-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Nah man I replaced rear mount and the one next to power steering. And the other mount is sill fine. Haver no clue what thee case could be.

xclusive_eg8
31-05-2011, 02:57 PM
get someone else to drive the car man, sometimes it aint the machine its the human

TheSaint
31-05-2011, 03:26 PM
is the clutch slipping? do the shifter bushings need to be replaced? what condition are the drive shafts in?

jeremydawg
31-05-2011, 05:41 PM
^yaya! i would say its the clutch. unless you have super bad sussy. whats it like when you turn full lock? no shuddering or funny noises?

egb16b
31-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Does it do it when you down gear?? And if it does..try rev matching and see if it still does it.

Flywheel hot spots can cause this.. and uneven clutch wear.. due to incorrect installation.

BennyH
31-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, no it's not just me my other friends tried driving it too and they feel the same thing. Firstly 'Thesaint', no clutch isn't slipping. And how can i check the shifter bushings ? Not quite sure about the condition of the drive shaft, could this be the reason you reckon ? For some reason i'm leaning over onto clutch, not sure why.

Suspension's alright too, not makingfunny noises or anything.

TheSaint
31-05-2011, 07:15 PM
if the driveshaft splines are worn or not aligned correctly it can cause a jolt on any chance in momentum
if the clutch is worn than the engine will engage slower or aggressively
flywheel/clutch could be uneven - this will cause a shudder at low rpm

i doubt its the shifter bushings - but to check it - just get under the car and look at the shifter arm (2 bars that go between the gearbox and where the shifter is)
have a look at all the bushings for cracks etc - replacement Energy Suspension bush kit is only $20 on ebay and a 10min job to replace

BennyH
31-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Well i think i need a new clutch anyways, and i should get the flywheel machined too ? You mentioned, if the driveshaft splines are worn they can cause a jolt on ANY chance in momentum ? Meaning it could happen randomly, but the thing is it only happens from gears 1-2 and sometimes 3-4. Does that narrow things down ?

Stcmon
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Does it do it when you down gear?? And if it does..try rev matching and see if it still does it.

Flywheel hot spots can cause this.. and uneven clutch wear.. due to incorrect installation.

wont that affect him on all gears then? he said the issue mainly affects him on lower gears

your better off getting a lightened flywheel than machining your stock one if your going to be replacing your clutch

trism
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
There's so many things it could be. If you know a mechanic, or have a trusted place you take your car to, take it to them and get them to look at it. There's too much guess work trying to diagnose it over the internet. You might take someone advice and replace clutch and flywheel, new driveshfts, spend 1000 bucks, only to find out that it was the master or slave cylinder, and would've cost 100 bucks.

Sent from my Xoom

TheSaint
01-06-2011, 02:56 PM
There's so many things it could be. If you know a mechanic, or have a trusted place you take your car to, take it to them and get them to look at it. There's too much guess work trying to diagnose it over the internet. You might take someone advice and replace clutch and flywheel, new driveshfts, spend 1000 bucks, only to find out that it was the master or slave cylinder, and would've cost 100 bucks.

Sent from my Xoom

this happened to me lol
i replaced the shocks thinking they were dead
than i replaced the clutch and flywheel thinking that might help
in the end it was a worn drive-shaft

take it to a mechanic!