PDA

View Full Version : Treadwear rating on tires

spetz
31-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi guys,

Is the treadwear rating on tires a good indicator of how much grip a tire will have?

And would anyone use semi slicks for street use? Assuming the car was a semi daily (ie, have another car, and this one is more for fun)

string
31-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes. Less means more grip, generally. It doesn't speak to the individual tyre's performance though. Some tyres kick butt.

For street use, use tyres in the 140-220 range. R-compounds for daily use is just plain stupid.

spetz
31-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I am thinking about getting Michelin Pilot Sport 3 but their treadwear is about 300 I think.
Currently I have Bridgestone tires with 140 treadwear rating.

I read really good things for the Michelins and not so good for the Bridgestones. I don't know if the Michelins will grip as much as the Bridgestones (they gripped really good I thought)

dougie_504
02-06-2011, 02:36 AM
I strongly recommend Yokohama S Drive for good treadwear rating and grip. Or Toyo T1R if you can still get them.

mocchi
02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
why would you want semi slicks for daily? unless youre pumping dollar from bumhole?
i think t1r is discontinued now, i used them for a while.
theyre pretty good, tread wear rating 280, daily drive for 2 years still have some good tread left (not on min. tread bar)

using direzza z1 now, cant say anything yet. treadwear 180, probably will last 1 year or 1.5 yrs.

aaronng
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I am thinking about getting Michelin Pilot Sport 3 but their treadwear is about 300 I think.
Currently I have Bridgestone tires with 140 treadwear rating.

I read really good things for the Michelins and not so good for the Bridgestones. I don't know if the Michelins will grip as much as the Bridgestones (they gripped really good I thought)
Grip depends on the tread design and tread compound. The Pilot Sport 3 is most probably more grippy even with a 300 treadwear rating than say Bridgestone RE 001 which has a treadwear rating of 220.

anjin
03-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Have a look at the Kumho KU36. They are an SCCA competition tyre in the USA for some classes. The wear is ok for a low wear rating compound, provide you drive sensibly, rotate, and have an alignment done. For daily use I'm at about a year already, and there is still life there. Note that two very hard track days destroyed the front left nicely, so I replaced that one. Hence the comment about sensible use. For track use they were good, but I use semi r most times and there is a difference

Limbo
03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
i've run the ku36, they are great for their price. Running the R1Rs and they are better especially in the wet.
RE001 are a very good tyre, i'd say maybe even slightly better than the ku36, but they are expensive. The Michellins are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

spetz
03-06-2011, 06:31 PM
The Michelins are planned for my daily car and hence road noise, comfort, wet weather grip etc all play a huge roll.

The semi's I was asking for a car which is not a daily (semi daily/weekend car)