PDA

View Full Version : Cheap $200 headunit

sexy_shazam
07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone

Im looking for a new headunit that has iphone and ipod connectivity. Ive searched online and one that really caught my fancy is this one here.

http://www.elinz.com.au/products/single-din-5-in-dash-car-dvd-player-stereo-radio/5-car-dvd-in-dash-player-radio-stereo-bluetooth-ipod/

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand? it can also be bought of ebay by the same seller for $20 or so more.

Thanks

ep3rsteve
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks fairly low quality. if iPod connectivity is all you're after just get a 3.5" to 3.5" cable & a good pioneer unit with AUX in for $100 retail.

sexy_shazam
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Looks fairly low quality. if iPod connectivity is all you're after just get a 3.5" to 3.5" cable & a good pioneer unit with AUX in for $100 retail.

Just wondering what you mean by low quality? as in screen quality or over all?.

I looked at those options but id like something with bluetooth and a large screen it just is more aesthetically pleasing.

Mr.PT
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
got a deck check my thread

Webby_roller
07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
there are plenty of good headunits these days with ipod and bluetooth for the 200 mark. Clarion make one, i belive its there cz301e? model. and JVC do a similar based item. just go do some shopping and hope for the best. I just bought a Pioneer headunit, $169 and the only bad thing i have to say is when the ipod is pluged in to the usb slot I cant talk through the phone as the speakers dont work like they would if it were through the headphone jack input. but just do your shopping and go from there, and dont be affraid to ask questions to the sales teams, and if they dont know go somewhere else!!! nothing worse then untrained staff!!!

sexy_shazam
07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
got a deck check my thread

Which thread?

sexy_shazam
07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
there are plenty of good headunits these days with ipod and bluetooth for the 200 mark. Clarion make one, i belive its there cz301e? model. and JVC do a similar based item. just go do some shopping and hope for the best. I just bought a Pioneer headunit, $169 and the only bad thing i have to say is when the ipod is pluged in to the usb slot I cant talk through the phone as the speakers dont work like they would if it were through the headphone jack input. but just do your shopping and go from there, and dont be affraid to ask questions to the sales teams, and if they dont know go somewhere else!!! nothing worse then untrained staff!!!

Well im a P plater so cant use handsfree but im also wondering if its possible for me to play music via Bluetooth and then change songs and all via the head unit? Im so tempted to buy one of the generic brand ones from online they look so good and flashy but probs not worth the money.

DTN
08-06-2011, 03:45 AM
^ i think there are headunits out there that can do this however im guessing they would be abit more expensive cause of the bluetooth. Popular branded headunits like kenwood, pioneer, sony, etc for the $200 mark would typically play cds, aux and usb when i was looking at one. Dont know about now though they might be cheaper and include bluetooth, just search around you might find a good deal. I got a Pioneer DEH-2350UB for $140 shipped on ebay, doesnt have bluetooth but i was only after one with usb port so yeah lol

androo
08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
These cheap Chinese head units are OK, however they usually stick out of the dash a lot more than the branded ones. This one definitely does because the bottom of it overlays other things in your dash so make sure whatever is below this unit isn't affected.

You'll find that everything works, however with little niggles. The sound quality is not as good as a $100 Sony head unit. The screen will be grainy and the colour looks washed, especially at angles (which is important in a car. You are never looking at it front on). If you use hands free, you'll have to replace the mic that comes with these as they are useless which equates to more money.

Bluetooth streaming is cool, however it doesn't sound as good as a direct connection. I had bluetooth on mine and I always find myself connecting my devices directly into the unit.

How do I know these things? I used to sell head units, and decided to bring in a batch of these Chinese ones. They were strangely extremely popular due to the prices, but I was never happy with it in my car. I had one in my car for 2 months before I removed it and got a better unit.

Good luck!

sexy_shazam
08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
These cheap Chinese head units are OK, however they usually stick out of the dash a lot more than the branded ones. This one definitely does because the bottom of it overlays other things in your dash so make sure whatever is below this unit isn't affected.

You'll find that everything works, however with little niggles. The sound quality is not as good as a $100 Sony head unit. The screen will be grainy and the colour looks washed, especially at angles (which is important in a car. You are never looking at it front on). If you use hands free, you'll have to replace the mic that comes with these as they are useless which equates to more money.

Bluetooth streaming is cool, however it doesn't sound as good as a direct connection. I had bluetooth on mine and I always find myself connecting my devices directly into the unit.

How do I know these things? I used to sell head units, and decided to bring in a batch of these Chinese ones. They were strangely extremely popular due to the prices, but I was never happy with it in my car. I had one in my car for 2 months before I removed it and got a better unit.

Good luck!

Thanks heaps ive had a look online and have decided to get a good quality single Din branded one.

Just a question since the AUD dollar is so good at the moment im looking at getting one from the US and i know it will work with basic fm but if i get a HD audio with Itunes taggingone like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032FOJGG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2TGMCZ4O2P52Z will the HD audio and the Itunes tagging work in AUS? I really like these 2 features.

mugen_ctr
09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
what are some good HU that has bass and sub control, as well as 3 RCA outputs for under 200? or is that too far fetched

TRD_4age
09-06-2011, 09:01 AM
If your after all those features check out MEA (mobile electronics australia) and troll through the secondhand section, You will be suprised what you find. There is a Alpune 9886i for i think $200. and that's a fuker of a bargin .

Or just wait till jb hi fi have there 30% off all car audio and pick up a semi decent new unit.

AYSHUNBOY
05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
try car audio they have some cheap ones if your looking for those type of head unit in your link
or xtreme car audio just letting you know fusions are the cheapest but dont buy clarion i made a mistake on getting clarion and its really crap
if your listening to burnt cd's or dvd it will stuff up your cd even though its not scratch it would stop playing
you pay for what you get i mean i got mine for 500 and i thought it was good but ive had mine for a month and all i have been doing is having problems with it

dr1ftaX
05-08-2011, 01:36 PM
abit off topic, but how many RCA pre outs do i need if i want to run 1x sub 1x amp, front and rear splits with tweeters?

mugen_ctr
06-08-2011, 12:15 AM
abit off topic, but how many RCA pre outs do i need if i want to run 1x sub 1x amp, front and rear splits with tweeters?

If ur gonna run the speakers off the HU, than its fine.. use the amp to power the sub.... Make sure the HU has a Direct Sub drive, or else the HU will just send the same sound signal as those of the speakers, and makes tuning subs hella easier... 1 pre out, but direct sub drive... not speaker output, remember that lol

If ur wanting better, go with 1 amp for speakers, and than 1 mono block amp for sub... But generally, this setup would require a 3 rca pre out.... the best but also the most expensive

Running the speakers off the one amp, means u can channel the splits to only higher frequencies an the rears to more med level frequencies as u have separate channels for both fronts an rears, as opposed to running both off the two channel, and obviously, the sub being the lowest frequencies, from my understanding....

If u were jus running the front splits an one sub, than u can get away with it... tune the splits for mid to high level frequencies, an the sub does all the lower end work... 2 pre outs

But at the end of the day, its upto you how u want it to sound, this is jus my 2cents

1996_EK_Civic
06-08-2011, 12:24 AM
i doubt jb hifi will be having another 30% car audio soon, had one last week... but you can still pick up the JVC kdr626 for 229, 3 rca preouts and ipod/iphone via usb, a good value for money deck