PDA

View Full Version : Euro noises - Metallic rattle and Whine

Terribull
09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey guys,

recently got an 03 6spd Euro, apart from a couple of niggles like a dead stacker I'm very happy with it. Car has 112000ks

1.) When its cold, there is a light whine that changes with revs and disappears when warm. All fluids are ok and noise only lasts 5 minutes or so?

2.) This ones more annoying, when under certain loads in higher gears there is a significant metallic rattle seems to be coming from the passenger side. I can't really tell if its inside or out though. Sounds like a loose heatshield kind of thing? Its not there when not under load or lower gears. Is not detonation.

Cheers guys!

marquee
09-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice to see another euro member.

I would say without a doubt number one is your accessories belt. give it a bit of lube will be ok mines done it for over a year and no problems

no idea for number two. the only thing i could think is maybe the exhaust heat sheild but thats in the centre.

richard_k
10-06-2011, 08:50 AM
tappets maybe?

tron07
10-06-2011, 10:17 AM
have you change your manual gb oil before?

Terribull
03-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey guys,

thought I'd wrap this up. The annoying rattle just got the better of me, was unbearable...

Turns out someone has lost one of the screws holding the airbox lid on. While it was still tight, under load it was able to work up a nice vibration that made a terrible racket!

Can't believe it was something so stupid ha ha. Something to look out for if it happens to you

richard_k
03-11-2011, 10:14 PM
that sounds terribull :)

MiSloVic
05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey guys,

thought I'd wrap this up. The annoying rattle just got the better of me, was unbearable...

Turns out someone has lost one of the screws holding the airbox lid on. While it was still tight, under load it was able to work up a nice vibration that made a terrible racket!

Can't believe it was something so stupid ha ha. Something to look out for if it happens to you

sound like a watered down version of the supercheat auto ad. ha ha.