PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey wherel bearing

pr0filer
11-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Our 06 update Odyssey has been diagnosed with a noisy wheel beraring. The car has only done 85000, so I'm highly surprised. Doesn't this seem totally unusual for a Honda to have a worn wheel bearing at such low k's?Has anyone else had this problem at such low k's?

skutman
19-07-2011, 09:20 PM
just unlucky! i have replaced 1 on a civic before with simular kms, are you towing or heavy load etc, sometimes wear them out more

pr0filer
20-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for that. Have had new WB fitted at local garage. They're good blokes but they damaged the ABS speed sensor in the process - which is apparently common. They found a S/H sensor and are paying half of the cost inc fitting. I think that's fair.

It's a pity the previous owner didn't get the car serviced by Honda, as I now know there have been recall campaigns on wheel bearings. Missed the boat - **** happens!

AusAccord
20-07-2011, 10:26 AM
^^ interesting, never heard or received letter from Honda about wheel bearing recall. any link to prove? am sure heaps of RB owners interested to know. Thanks in advance!!

list from ACCC have nothing for 2006/07 Honda Odyssey......
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952862/fromItemId/952855

pr0filer
20-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Oops - looking again, I see it is Honda USA and applies to Civics only - probably doesn't affect Odysseys which I think are still Japan built.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aStJ_9WGIJpM&refer=us

However, I would speculate that our Thai built Civics would be affected also as Honda Thailand is a branch of Honda USA.

Main thing is that it is now fixed and my daughter can safely take our 4 grandchildren 40 k's to school and back!

skutman
20-07-2011, 10:30 PM
they should have taken the sensor out so they wouldnt damage it, i wouldnt be happy paying half for there mistake

pr0filer
22-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for that. I believe they did remove the speed sensor. Apparently was not physically damaged but was just showing as a fault on the Tech 2 scan. They replaced the speed sensor and the ABS light was still on. They scanned a second time and now it is showing that the speed sensor is okay, but 1 wheel bearing is faulty! I never really trust these computer gizmos - they often give spurious readings. Anyway, the whel bearing will be replaced again. I don't think it's the mechanic's fault. They work on Hondas all the time - Buderim is the Honda capital of the world!