PDA

View Full Version : Heatshield for POD filters....which design stops HOT AIR ??

Ozwolfbane
05-02-2005, 03:47 AM
Hi,

I dont want to do a COLD air intake coz i fear hydrolocks...

I dont want to just thrown in a Intake coz it will suck in HOT air from engine reducing HP

So I want some sort of Heatshield but Dont know which design to choose and how it would be affective ?? :o

1. Theres this one , the most common one, But I am not sure how it would actually stop the POD from sucking in HOT engine air as it is just covers half...How would it stop HOT air from engine ???

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/20057980/Images/heatshield01.jpg

Then there this second one, How would this stop hot air from getting sucked in as filter is still in the engine bay ?? I have a 4th Gen Si (h22a going in)

http://www.makotoautotrends.com/products/HD84PR-0589AIX.jpg

These are all ebay heatshield

ATSE
05-02-2005, 08:00 AM
It must be fully enclosed like a stock box, with a cold air feed to the fender or front bar. Temperatures really only increase when you are stopped at a traffic light. Once the car starts moving, cold air enters the engine bay. To help lower engine bay temp, I recommened the Hondata Gasket, it will lower your temperatures alot and be very effective.

eknine
05-02-2005, 08:15 AM
for IM gasket there are similiar make out there other than hondata

Weq
05-02-2005, 11:19 AM
The only way to stop heatsocking air is relocating the filter outside the engine bay, with a carbon fibre intake pipe and manifold :P

|N|
05-02-2005, 11:28 AM
use the stock box... and get a pipe to direct cold air in from the front

SIKCVC
05-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Weq suggestion of CF is probably one of the best as well as the hondata intake gasket.

I couldn't afford either so I made one using 3mm steel. I can sit at lights on 28deg day open the bonnet and while the just on the outside of the box is hot as, inside the box its at least half the temp... PLUS the box is FUCING HUGE!!! so i dont get any lag when I put my foot down, like you would get if you had the air filter down behind the front bar/out of the engine bay.

The only way to improve on this would be to coat the engine side of the box and the intake in CF due to the high latent heat.