PDA

View Full Version : resetting the ECU

MrPlow
11-12-2003, 09:02 PM
I was talking to a mate of mine who's grown up with v-tecs i guess, and i was explaining how i felt that my 96 EK (vtec) was not running right...

he said to me that i should reset my ECU and if im no wrong he said to unplug something and take out the fuse and leave it for 5min or so, then replace everything and start her up....

anyone know exactly what i should be doing?

bennjamin
11-12-2003, 09:33 PM
No - to reset your ECU - simply pop your bonnet - and take off both the negative and positive terminals upon your battery- oleave disconnected for about 5 mins -

Then hook it back up - start the car up and let it idle for 1 min or so - lets the computer adjust from normal to cope with teh new mod.

You should " reset your ECU" every single time you put on a induction , engine or exhaust mod.

:) Ben

BLKCRX
11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
The honda ecu is a very smart ecu, when your resetting the ecu by unpluing it, it is the short term and long term o2 changes the the ecu makes that your resetting.

The Honda ecu takes negative feed back from the o2 sensor and bends the fuel table under part throttle open loop mode to what it thinks lambda 1 is. This is the most optimal / emission friendly setting. This is where piggyback device’s fail and aftertime the ecu auto learns / corrects the changes made by the piggyback device.

But yes in summary resetting your ecu can help if you have a problem, but the problem was more than likely created by either a sensor reading incorrectly, wrong fuel because generally self-learning improves performance and emissions.

Regards James

ATSE
12-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Good explanation James. But seriously.. does resetting the ECU really make such a difference, especially with OBDII? Because ppl in HT swear by it... resetting the ECU after each mod. So is it better to reset the ECU and make it learn all over again, or let the ECU adjust to the new settings without any reset?

TODA AU
12-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Cut the red wire... ;) LOL

BLKCRX
13-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Don't believe everything you read on HT, or on forums.... or hell anything on the net.

Resetting the ecu can fix problems if sensors have been miss reading or what not.. but generally resetting or not resetting after time you will end up in the same place.

Read a technical article on my website to do with long term / short term o2 you should learn a bit from that article.

http://www.hondata.com/techclosed.html

Hope that helps... Regards James

PS cut the Purple wire !! ehhe

TODA AU
13-12-2003, 06:10 PM
James - "high five"
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: