PDA

View Full Version : DAB+ (Digital Radio) in car/hiding wires [CL9]

chuboy
13-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey guys, since Digital Radio is just starting to take off in capital cities and I've heard the quality and variety is pretty good, I've decided I want to hear it in my Euro (CL9).

Does anybody here have a DAB+ receiver in their car? If you do have you got any recommendations about products etc?

My plan is just to get a standard in-car receiver but I want to install it cleanly. I hate wires! That's where I need advice...

Anyway I will be getting an xcarlink (or chinese equiv) soon which will give me panel mounted 3.5mm line-in so I can use that to get the sound from the receiver. What I need advice on is getting the antenna tidied away.

Since I will be storing the receiver in the centre console it makes sense to run the antenna cables through there too. Is there a diagram or anything that will give me an insight on where I can run cables inside the dashboard? Most receivers seem to have a sticky antenna that goes on the windscreen then plugs into the unit using an UGLY wire which I will want to tuck out of sight.

I just want ideas on how you guys have hidden wires in your installations, be it for GPS, handsfree etc.

Kodak
13-06-2011, 02:41 PM
try using a splitter and feeding off existing antenna. Would be the cleanest option if it works.
If you google you can find the full user manual available for download with all the images you want, though i'd suggest that just by taking a look and working it out as you go you'll keep it pretty neat regardless

tazzb
04-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Hey guys, since Digital Radio is just starting to take off in capital cities and I've heard the quality and variety is pretty good, I've decided I want to hear it in my Euro (CL9).

Does anybody here have a DAB+ receiver in their car? If you do have you got any recommendations about products etc?

My plan is just to get a standard in-car receiver but I want to install it cleanly. I hate wires! That's where I need advice...

Anyway I will be getting an xcarlink (or chinese equiv) soon which will give me panel mounted 3.5mm line-in so I can use that to get the sound from the receiver. What I need advice on is getting the antenna tidied away.

Since I will be storing the receiver in the centre console it makes sense to run the antenna cables through there too. Is there a diagram or anything that will give me an insight on where I can run cables inside the dashboard? Most receivers seem to have a sticky antenna that goes on the windscreen then plugs into the unit using an UGLY wire which I will want to tuck out of sight.

I just want ideas on how you guys have hidden wires in your installations, be it for GPS, handsfree etc.

I am thinking of doing something very similar in my '04 Euro and would also like to keep things as neat as possible.

Have you installed the xcarlink and/or DAB system yet?
How did the antenna issue go? Were you able to use a splitter with the existing FM antenna?

I am thinking of getting the xcarlink for iphone/ipod with the optional bluetooth kit, and use the 3.5mm input for a DAB+ unit (probably the Pure Highway, as it's the only one I know of that's suitable for a car... let me know if you've used something else).

I also considered the Grom units which look impressive; however, the input for the optional bluetooth unit is the SAME input for the optional 3.5mm input (i.e. that means I can't have a bluetooth unit AND an external DAB unit connected at the same time). Furthermore, Xcarlink seems to be pretty widely used and with mostly good feedback.

I'll be keen to know how you went :D

chuboy
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
xcarlink was not a problem at all, installation was easy, the hardest part was cutting the holes in the centre console to feed USB and Aux In ports into.

As for the DAB+, I left it for another time as the FM antenna, if splitters for it exist, wouldn't pickup DAB signals. You need a particular antenna. So while it would be easy enough to run it through the AUX system there would be wires everywhere. When I'm serious about it again I might look into getting a pro to run wires behind the dashboard.