PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up Parking lights?

capita
15-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey guys!
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I have a set of aftermarket headlights on EK civic and they dont have parking lights on them and I need them to pass blue slip to change my rego from ACT to NSW. I need my blue slip asap as rego is expiring in a few days! So I purchased some fittings for parking lights and was wondering if anyone has any idea how I could wire them up to work?
I am planning on drilling a little hole in the headlights and silastiking the fittings into the lights but I'm not to sure on the wiring of them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

kyzz
15-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Well i've done this to my rear lights, not too sure how it is with the front ones but im pretty sure its a similar concept. Because its your front lights you've gotta be careful with drilling if you are going to drill, best bet is to drill a hole so you can fit the bulb through and use some heavy duty adhesive tape to keep the lights in place. I

assume the parking lights you purchased have 2 wires, the parking wire and the earth wire, pretty much you have to find out which wire connecting to the other lamps is earth (usually the black one) and locate your old parking wire and join them all up. With the earth you will have to cut the wire from one of your bulbs, and make it a 3 way wire, solder it up and wrap it in some heat shrink and electric tape

Now I'm no professional but im pretty sure thats going to be the case;

Here are some photos of how I drilled(would be easier for me considering there was already a plastic covered hole already) and wired up my new parking light on the rear lights, ofcourse you're probably only going to have 2 wires(earth/parking) coming from the new bulb considering its just a parking light.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2081/img0773pc.jpg
You can see how there was already a circular mould ready to be cut out, but for some reason its not on EK1/4's..

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/gxiang/DIY/PA050273.jpg
you can see how the earthing and other wires were connected in a 3 way style. (this isn't my photo, got it from the DIY thread i used to do this mod considering the photo i had of my bulb wasnt completely wired up and wouldnt make sense)

hope this helps somehow