PDA

View Full Version : Springs

viinnh
15-06-2011, 06:16 PM
hey guys i got a honda civic eg. and i now dont want to be so low on springs that airnt comfortable ( custom springs bought like that ). anyways was wondering whats good springs that are comfortable for going over:
-potholes
-speed humps
-turning corners
-swerving etc.
basically something good ?

im only wanting 1.5" to 2" drop ?? (like 1 or 2 finger gaps on 195/55/15). dont want slammed anymore. what are good comfy springs for that drop you guys recommend ? eibach ?

and im not a fan of king springs..

jdmEG5
15-06-2011, 06:21 PM
pedders is good bro! for 2" drop, pedders feels almost like oem just bit stiffer by a tad. :)

viinnh
15-06-2011, 09:15 PM
i can instal them my self. its easy haha. nah king sags over time rather not use them

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 01:17 AM
chopping springs is dangerous as you are destroying the structural integrity of the spring, the spring rate, and the cut will never be a perfect match for factory mounting positions

i would advise getting either Tein S-Techs, Tein H-Tech or Eibach

the S-Tech will give about 1.3-1.5" drop on EG (i have them at the moment)
the H-Tech are suppose to be closer to the 1" drop and are suppose to be more comfortable
and i dont know that much about Eibach other than they are more expensive

the S-Tech on OEM shocks is a nice combination for comfort/sport driving - later on if you want more performance you can add in a sport shock like Koni Yellow or Skunk2 Sport Shocks

i have Tein S-Tech ($300 posted from USA) and Skunk2 Sport Shocks ($400 posted from USA) on my EG8

springs are easy to install by yourself (you will need some spring clamps/compressors and a desent selection of tools)
it can be a bit of a mission the first time you do it - but after the first one you get into it pretty well

also be prepared to replace your OEM bump-stops on the shocks as well - the old ones usually disintegrate when you take the shocks off the car lol

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 01:21 AM
hey bro, thought you had some spring going with ur eg before , but king is the best option and cheapest way to do it , 400 buks fitted man , but if you dont like king you can go with tein spring but they are more expensive but still do the same job , not much different in between , coli is hard and not that comfortable but you can go as low as you want and raise it back up .. its all depend on how much you want to spend tho ..

i wouldnt spend more then 500buks( included labour) for spring only man. no coilover wont be a go at all.

p.s pm sent :)

LOL comparing tein and king springs is like apples and oranges - i have had a few sets of both on several different cars and king are absolute rubbish - they lower the ride height, but they also sag and provide no feedback or performance at all

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 01:31 AM
i really do wish i understand a word of that post ... but i dont

engrish?

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 03:05 AM
ah ok - if you arnt noticing a difference between tein springs, king springs and chopped than i think you are really better off leaving the car stock

i could clearly tell the difference between each
- chopped springs are very unstable, have alot of lift and dive in them and feel uneven
- kings feel very flat, cushy, un-responsive and they sagged
- teins were responsive, didnt sag, lowered to a perfect height and made the car feel more peppy

viinnh
16-06-2011, 08:50 AM
do you have pics of theway your car sits?

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 02:06 PM
with Tein S-Tech Springs and Skunk2 Sport Shocks

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/the_saint7/PA140370.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/the_saint7/PA140369.jpg

be aware that the shocks are a bit more on the aggressive side of things - but still not too over the top

viinnh
16-06-2011, 02:52 PM
how thats good hieght man. rather that. mines tooo low its scraping my exhuast. and my rear is a bit bouncy is.
bad quality. i want about 1-2 finger gaps. yours a assume is 1 or 2 finger gap ? althought your back looks lower by a bit.
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j408/viinnh/10062011004.jpg

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 03:03 PM
its actually fairly level - there would be -1mm in the back - its just the angle of the ground on our front lawn

its almost exactly 2 finger gap - it was higher with just the springs - the shocks lowered it a little as well

viinnh
16-06-2011, 03:05 PM
ahh i see thanks for the help

id rep you but i cant it wont let me

najdi
16-06-2011, 04:25 PM
make sure you get aftermarket shocks preferably adjustable..the comfy side is on the shox as for springs why go buy brand named teins etc might aswell get coilovers..pedders are good..never had a problem with king springs..also got compressed springs in my crx at the rear..its stiffened but not bouncy but if your a softcock you might not like it... ps did u end up installing the stuff you bought off me ages ago

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 04:40 PM
kings really arnt that much cheaper than teins lol
may as well spend a couple of more dollars and get quality products

PS i just looked on ebay and teins are the same price - if not cheaper lol

quangsuke
16-06-2011, 04:58 PM
if u are after comfy springs that offer good drop in height whilst not sacrificing ride comfort i would recommend lovells super low. great quality made springs. not too stiff and great comfy ride

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 06:38 PM
lovells are a nice alternative to the cheaper brands - they are very comfortable, do not sag - but on the other hand dont offer the feedback/response as teins etc

viinnh
16-06-2011, 07:00 PM
make sure you get aftermarket shocks preferably adjustable..the comfy side is on the shox as for springs why go buy brand named teins etc might aswell get coilovers..pedders are good..never had a problem with king springs..also got compressed springs in my crx at the rear..its stiffened but not bouncy but if your a softcock you might not like it... ps did u end up installing the stuff you bought off me ages ago

compressed springs ? isnt that dangerous as well , heating it up and then compressing it .

and yeah installed them then took them off and sold them lol

if u are after comfy springs that offer good drop in height whilst not sacrificing ride comfort i would recommend lovells super low. great quality made springs. not too stiff and great comfy ride

lovells super low, how much of a drop is that ?

lovells are a nice alternative to the cheaper brands - they are very comfortable, do not sag - but on the other hand dont offer the feedback/response as teins etc

i see teins sounds great who about that custom brand kmac i think it was ? you can choose the drop and the spring rate. but i honestly dont know what spring rate is what ? :/

quangsuke
16-06-2011, 07:32 PM

lovells super low, how much of a drop is that ?:/

lovells work great for handling and response, not racing standards but great feedback from personal experience.
would definitely go back to my old set up any day.
heres a photo of the drop that i got
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1345/dsc08960k.jpg

Mikecivic78
16-06-2011, 07:38 PM
I use Eibach pro kit for my car. Good bit of kit there. Mated with Koni Sport, they are really nice. about 1.5 inch drop, and great comfort, handling compromise. Spend an extra couple of bucks and get good old German quality springs. Ebay USA is good atm. Das Gut!

TheSaint
16-06-2011, 07:48 PM
damn that sounds like a nice setup there =)

viinnh
16-06-2011, 08:44 PM
lovells work great for handling and response, not racing standards but great feedback from personal experience.
would definitely go back to my old set up any day.
heres a photo of the drop that i got

cheers for that !

I use Eibach pro kit for my car. Good bit of kit there. Mated with Koni Sport, they are really nice. about 1.5 inch drop, and great comfort, handling compromise. Spend an extra couple of bucks and get good old German quality springs. Ebay USA is good atm. Das Gut!

do you have pics of that set up on your eg ?

Mikecivic78
16-06-2011, 09:55 PM
do you have pics of that set up on your eg ?

I have an Ek, Em1 to be exact. But IMO I recommend the Eibachs. I'm sure the one for Eg are just as good.

TheSaint
17-06-2011, 01:35 AM
eibachs are quality - i couldnt afford them when i got my teins tho lol

Mikecivic78
17-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I was lucky with my Eibachs. There was a guy on ebay from Sydney who bought 'em and never put them in his car. I bought it out of auction because there were no takers. If I remember correctly they were 310 delivered. Definitely below retail price.

mikul
17-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I thought your eg was dropped charles?? Didnt you just chop the springs before?

dougie_504
17-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm with Mike - go German. I use Bilstein on both my cars :)

danNyja1
17-06-2011, 04:43 PM
I've got Tein S-Tech's on my EK, good if you don't plan on changing your stock shocks.
1.5'' drop and progressive spring rate design. ride is comfortable and not stiff compared to king springs.

at the time i was thinking of getting kmacs, but was reading around and people had mixed views.
most will say they are good cause they are made to your specifications whilst others complain about the quality of the springs ever since they changed to new management.

teins ftw!

viinnh
17-06-2011, 04:56 PM
alright ill probs go tein s tech, umm eg , dc and ek are they same springs right ? or should i go specifically for eg?

charliebrown
17-06-2011, 05:12 PM
^EG specific due to weight differences

TheSaint
17-06-2011, 05:40 PM
92-95 EG Hatch - get this and you will be fine

dont forget to get some bump-stops and some shock bush's - otherwise the shocks will suffer a bit

also let us know how it all goes =D

viinnh
17-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I thought your eg was dropped charles?? Didnt you just chop the springs before?

yeahs but its too low and not stiff enough . plug i just relised its chopped custom. omfg. dont want more defect then it is.

^EG specific due to weight differences

cheers man althought thought dc2 and ek isnt alot more then a eg?

92-95 EG Hatch - get this and you will be fine

dont forget to get some bump-stops and some shock bush's - otherwise the shocks will suffer a bit

also let us know how it all goes =D

cheer msn def get bump stops and shock bush, also how many bumpstops should be per shock ?
and waht colours the springs you have i see to much, green and red, green and brown and green and black. dont know which is legit or not.'

EDIT : also to the the tein s-stech owners. rate oem springs 1-10 on comfortablity and 1-10 on tein s-tech 1-10 .. cheers ! on stock shocks

charliebrown
17-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I believe if an EG uses DC springs, it would be about 20-25mm higher. So that's a pretty big difference imo

TheSaint
17-06-2011, 06:26 PM
you need 1 bumpstop per shock - the springs will come with instructions on cutting them to mach the teins - i did this with a marker and hobby knife

tein s-techs arnt a massive change from stock for comfort - its only when you add in an aftermarket shock that the comfortability starts to get a bit thinned out

also - real ones should be green with brown plastic bits - the gold ones are H-Techs which are softer and higher up

YBJLS4
17-06-2011, 10:10 PM
part out wing?