PDA

View Full Version : B16B CTR cams in B16A VTiR

Civic Type R
12-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi, ive read up on the history of all the cams threads but none have answered my query.
Im looking at installing a set of B16b CTR cams into my B16A.
Has anyone had any experience with doing this and can inform me of its worthyness. i.e. power gaines ?
I believe this wont require a second set of valve springs and titanium retainers ... etc.
should i get an Apexi VAFC to compliment it or will the normal ECU pick up on them ?

Weq
12-12-2003, 12:35 PM
I think u will need an upgraded valve train also to help unleash the power that the cam's are supposed to make at higher then b16a revving levels.

ATSE
12-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Yup new set of valve springs to support the higher redline, without them your gonna hear alot of pinging in your enigne. Also CTR cams are useless with a stock ECU, in fact your gonna loose power. You would need a EK9 ECU, or get a conversion harness to convert to OBD 1 and flash a EK9 program onto it. This will enable a higher redline, and also utilise the cams.

Civic Type R
12-12-2003, 02:04 PM
but if you intend to rev it like the B16A and change at 8k - you wont really need the springs will you ?
Thanks for the ECU part, i didnt know about that ..

Setanta
12-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Get the valvetrain - it's not just revs, its also the aggressive ramps on the cams that are an issue

Spunkymonkey
12-12-2003, 04:14 PM
My cousin had b16b cams installed in his EK VTIR coupe. He's looking at purchasing a VAFC atm.

I don't really talk to him that much, so have only heard from my other cousin that it goes a bit better....

ALLMTR
12-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Hehehe Spunky has more cousins than any one person I know

You really wanna run at least the ITR/CTR intake springs and swap your intakes over to the exhaust. Oh and if your gonna go to the trouble, you may as well put in Toda A's.......which I have for sale hehehe

Civic Type R
12-12-2003, 06:08 PM
no im not going Toda A's but thanks for the offer.
Not unless they're less than $500.

I dont intend to rev it past 8000 so really are these spring necessary if that be my intention ?
Yes i know the B16B redlines at 8400 too :)

Weq
12-12-2003, 07:25 PM
the thing is though, u _need_ to rev it that high to gain any performance out of the cams! Thats the reason why u need to chnage ur springs etc.

TODA AU
12-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Actually works ok as a drop in...
Keeping the stock rev limit you'll see 7~9hp more at the wheels with no other changes... Only on the top cam though... if you get them for a good price, it's not a bad bang for your buck mod...
Do not increase your rpm limit without a valve spring up-grade though...
Could do with an E-manage or better...

Civic Type R
13-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks heaps TODA !
Thats the kind of info that puts a smile on my face :)
I hope to get more than 9hp@wheels with my 4-1 headers and full cat back.

Question tho.
Would the Apexi VAFC2 utilise the new cams and net me a more desired gain ? (sorry if this sounds like im repeating myself but we are talking of a $1500 job)

Setanta
13-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Best to read the popular concensus in VAFCs - I hope you have shares in a dyno centre to keep retuning it.

BLKCRX
13-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Look at other options that allows you to tune for igintion also not only fueling.

Regards James

TODA AU
13-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Best to read the popular concensus in VAFCs - I hope you have shares in a dyno centre to keep retuning it.

No offence, but the VAFC is a total pile of crap and complete waste of money...
This piece of junk affects your fuelling via affecting your MAP sensor output... In doing so... When you add fuel you take timing out...
When you remove fuel you add more ignition timing...
This is a Houso's way to tune an ECU...
Do yourself a favour, lap up what James says & get a Genius level ECU rather than a Moron level piggyback...
I draw the line at E-manage...
Though it can control the ignition & Vtec absolutely...
It can only add fuel & cannot alter the rev limit.
Furthermore, it's bothersome to tune corectly with boost added to an NA ECU...
Seriously, with Hondata is an awesome bang for bucks’ alternative that is capable of delivering real results that are reliable...

BLKCRX
13-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I couldn’t have said it better my self, although people accuse me of bring bias when I made comments like above, but to hell with bias ! it’s the total truth, they are nothing more than blue gimmick flashing blue lights that then partially work, sadly they are reinforced by many workshops simply because they make good money on them !! which in my eyes is pathetic, because they put earning money over what’s better for the client.

Regards James

Setanta
13-12-2003, 09:19 PM
Toda Au: I thought what you two just said was EXACTLY what I said :?

As in I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Maybe I should write more simply :(

TODA AU
14-12-2003, 04:54 AM
Setanta - My appologies...
I miss read what you said...
Cheers

Setanta
14-12-2003, 03:38 PM
No worries mate :)

Civic Type R
14-12-2003, 07:55 PM
OK, looks like the book can be closed with the APEXi VAFC2.
Thanks heaps too guys for the feedback !

atm im entering the 4th week for my Mugen Twin Loop to arrive so i can get everything all hooked up ( including 4-1 extractors)

I know hondata is good, but im only using the car as my daily driver.
I suggested to VAFC2 as a possibility to tune in the B16B cams - but it seems a pointless waste of money now.

one more chance
15-12-2003, 01:21 PM
i had a vafc for awhile, and i may of had thrown my money down a pitt in the ground. it didn't give me enough tuning capabilities as i would have liked. i'd go a s200 hondata unit as it allows for much greater capabilities for fine tuning and gives you options for the future if u want to FI or NOS ur car or if u go all out on a huge allmotor engine! I'm yet to lay my hands on an item, but will hopefully in the near future. I'm sure james from hondata will shed more light!