PDA

View Full Version : Short ram intake for a dc5 with heatshield

typ35
16-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi guys, i have a 2006 integra type s. just wondering if anyone has done an sri on their dc5, with a custom heatshield, and if there is any difference between throttle response, and bottom end torque, compared to the stock airbox. i know SRI is frequently associated with heatsoak inevitably. however im am not in a financial position to buy any brand named cai or sri's, therefore, i was thinkin of doing a DIY job for now. If anyone has any advice with pros/ cons, please feel free to let me know. thanks

richard_k
21-06-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?131994-DIY-Heat-shield-over-Pod-Filter-with-cold-air-feed&highlight=heatshield+diy

use search function.

typ35
22-06-2011, 06:46 PM
yehh i saw that man, thanks, but i was looking for anyone who had done it with a dc5, because the engine bay is quite different, and the SRI is aimed towards the rear of the engine bay. im hoping to suck some cold air from inside the left wheel guard. ive been quoted 120 for a custom sri, but im still not sure if theres bad repercussions from going down that path

DCZ 18C
22-06-2011, 07:55 PM
just wait bro save your moneyss and buy a cold air intake..
a much better idea... :)
worth the wait imo

azzacrombe
23-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Just my 2 cents, I had a friend with a cai on his brand new honda civic, and a few weeks ago he drove over a little puddle, and he hydrolocked his engine. Might cost him 10g's to replace. Having said that im sure there are heaps of others on this site that have had more luck with a cai. But just thought that i would let you know :)

typ35
23-06-2011, 05:40 PM
hmmmm. yea see, thats what im really afraid of. i live in melbourne, and if u havent heard, the weather here is ridiculous. one minute, its perfectly sunny, then its hailing and flooding. ive actually been through floods that were covering the lower grille, early this year, and i was soo lucky i didnt hav a cai. thats the only reason why im thinking of going down the sri path. i'd rather lose a few kw up top due to heat soak, rather than having an engine hydrolocked. its really hard to find ppl, who've done a custom intake, seeing as everyone has gone down the injen or gruppe m path. ive heard good things about them, but im planning on selling the car once i get of my p'z, and i dont want to spend so much money on it. i'd rather do a diy job, thatz cheap and effective, even though it may not have the same gains as a branded product.

azzacrombe
23-06-2011, 05:49 PM
ive been looking for a decent intake for my DC5 for a while now as well. The thing is, if you get a sri your not going to be affected by heatsoak all the time. Maybe if your stuck in traffic for a while. But otherwise i dont think it should be that bad considering your in melbourne where it is a lot cooler.

Have you looked at password jdm power chamber? from what i have seen the intake sits at the front of the engine bay for DC5's. The only thing is the install where you have to relocate your battery.

levi R
23-06-2011, 09:08 PM
i did a custom cai that goes from the bottom rear of the box to the passengers front wheel arch. sounds sweet.

Zygoteous
26-06-2011, 11:16 PM
hey 2 years ago had a 2006 dc5s with a custom cold air intake that ran to the same location as the injen cold air intake did i totaled the car and bought another 2006 dc5s now running the apexi short ram intake with the heat shield it came with plus a diy top heat shield so it looks a little more like a box and cops dont defect me for the pod. The difference is so minimal that you wont be able to tell apart from the better scream that u get from the short ram i am also finding the throttle response from the short ram a little more responsive and less laggy imho i liked the cold air option better because it was less noisy during the bottom rev range and louder at the top of the rev range as it was not boxed. i hope that helped abit

Fredoops
26-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Can't you get a ct-e icebox or something? Australia isn't really suited to Sri cause our climate is too warm... We do t have those freezing winters where the Sri excel in.

typ35
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
thanks for the replies guyz! i finally got a pod, and bought a custom made pipe from a friend, that fits directly onto the throttlebody. everything done all for $90 =D sound is absolutely amazing, compared to the stock airbox. i cant even hear my cannon anymore. theres definitely a jump in torque, but i couldn't notice much of a difference in throttle response. as soon as vtec kicks in however, the wheel starts spinning in second at 80k'z in the dry! im happy with results, for the little money i spent, but again, an injen would be way better. I definitely reccomend an sri, as a starting mod, for those low on cash, and to the ppl that really comment negatively on sri, its not that bad at all, going from stock anyways. sure there will be heat soak, but after gvin the car sum juice for over an hour. i raced my mates manual xr6, i kept pulling away, whereas previously wen i had the stock airbbox, i only barely kept up with him. so there has to be some gains in a n sri as well!