PDA

View Full Version : Recommended accessories to go with my turbo kit

xenonkuraz
17-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi all.

I have just made a purchase for a turbo kit for my 06 civic which consists of gt2860 ball bearing turbo and greddy emanage ultimate. It has everything you "need" to get boosted, however I've been trying to get a list together of what else I should purchase.

Here's what I've come up with:

* oil restrictor (the civic has high oil pressure)
* gauges (boost, afr [wideband], oil temp, oil press)

and thats it. I know eventually I will have to upgrade the clutch and increase exhaust pipe diameters but I only want to buy the necessities for now.

Let me know what else you think I should get before I have it installed and tuned.

Thanks

honda_zivic
18-06-2011, 12:42 AM
catch can,injects and gaskets (highly reco)
fuel pump,boost controller (optional)

Jccck
18-06-2011, 05:39 AM
* oil restrictor (the civic has high oil pressure)
* gauges (boost, afr [wideband], oil temp, oil press)
and thats it. I know eventually I will have to upgrade the clutch and increase exhaust pipe diameters but I only want to buy the necessities for now.

Any good oil feed/return kit should come with a restrictor.. Check it doesn't have an in-built one, if it doesn't it's a MUST
Oil Pressure is a very helpful warning gauge, everyone should have one.. AFR, Oil Temp, Boost.. All not required.
You only need the AFR for tuning and troubleshooting (Best left to the tuner anyway) and Oil Temp is a waste!

If the clutch will easily slip, upgrade it.
Exhaust isn't a must, but it will hinder performance greatly if it's very restrictive.

catch can,injects and gaskets (highly reco)
fuel pump,boost controller (optional)

Find out what your stock injectors can handle (There's always somone with a rough HP@Flywheel number out there! if you want more power, go bigger!)
Catch can definantly a must, and don't get an ebay one please for the sake of your motor.

xenonkuraz
18-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info :) the kit comes with 4x 410cc drop in injectors. What brand of catch can should I get? and isn't a boost gauge necessary to pick up on leaks ? I'd hate for the car to be over boosting and not know it

honda_zivic
18-06-2011, 05:37 PM
for good brand vented catchcan i would get moroso, proflow and all star. ders plenty of other bands too.

just get a vac/boost gauge it tells u if u have leaks or boost issues. u be nuts not 2 have 1. most important gauge.

Limbo
20-06-2011, 11:39 PM
first thing, get a good tuner lined up, show him what you have in the kit first and get his opinion.
All comes down to how much $$ you want to spend.
You've got a decent turbo,other than that its hard to say

Just some comments on above, catch can (not really necessary if running low boost, just need to run the PCV setup correctly), alot of people get this wrong and the turbo starts to blow oil. Have a read in some of the build threads.

Last piece of advice, a good turbo setup cost $$ upgrading later and getting the basics now is just wasting money. Try and do it right the first time and save yourself time, money and headaches

Lukezen27
24-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Limbo and I'm and myself have both been down this road and sometimes over and over again lol

Fist build- GReddy Kit + D16Y1 SOHC VTec E-manage motor blew in part to E-manage
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?79182-GReddy-Kit-D16Y1-SOHC-VTec-E-manage-Untuned-97.5WKW-Not-Bad!!

E-manage over boost cut dosen't work unless you've got the E-manage MAP sensor installed (clamps the OEM MAP from seeing boost and thus the over boost cuts useless... I would never use E-manage again

Second build- custom built and installed myself
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?108143-New-Project-EG5-JDM-B16A2-Boost-%2856k-Modem-Warning%29

* oil restrictor (the civic has high oil pressure) I needed an 0.8 restrictor, anyting bigger would puch oil passed the seals and into the piping but if the kits made for your car this should already be correct
* gauges (boost, afr [wideband], oil temp, oil press) E-Boost II is the only option IMO boost gauges & controller in one
*Only really need oil temp and water temp for low boost on a stock motor IMO

*Catch Can
Moroso Breather Tank with Internally baffled, the rest are just toys
* PCV is quite important but my kits miss this
few questions

What kit?
What Motor?

I'll check em out

Jccck
25-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info :) the kit comes with 4x 410cc drop in injectors. What brand of catch can should I get? and isn't a boost gauge necessary to pick up on leaks ? I'd hate for the car to be over boosting and not know it

I have no idea what a 'drop in injector' is.. Sounds like a dodgy name to me lol!
If you're planning any future mods, maybe consider putting larger injectors in now.. Will save you changing them later

Last piece of advice, a good turbo setup cost $$ upgrading later and getting the basics now is just wasting money. Try and do it right the first time and save yourself time, money and headaches

100% Agreed! My engine bay alone is sitting just short of $17,000 aftermarket.. And i can tell you, there's easily another $5k i could've spent.. Too much involved to get it perfect, not for the feint hearted

xenonkuraz
25-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks Lukezen and Limbo. I subscribed to both your builds in the past and loved them. Sort of attributed to my want doing this as well.

The kit is a TSI Extreme kit http://turbokits.com/TSI_Extreme_Turbo_Kit/273/ but I replaced the flashpro with emanage ultimate (which comes with map sensor).

The motor is a K20Z2 and through my researched I've only come across one other in Malaysia that has turbo'd this motor (but with an ebay street demon kit).

Any recommendations on where to buy the Moroso catch can? I don't think my stock PCV would handle any boost but maybe with an in-line tank it should be OK.

So far I've purchased the kit, the e-manage and 4 Defi BF style gauges (Boost [in bar], Water Temp, Oil Temp & Oil Press). I will have the e-manage installed next week to see if there are any problems before I attempt the turbo kit install myself

Lukezen27
25-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks Lukezen and Limbo. I subscribed to both your builds in the past and loved them. Sort of attributed to my want doing this as well.

The kit is a TSI Extreme kit http://turbokits.com/TSI_Extreme_Turbo_Kit/273/ but I replaced the flashpro with emanage ultimate (which comes with map sensor).

The motor is a K20Z2 and through my researched I've only come across one other in Malaysia that has turbo'd this motor (but with an ebay street demon kit).

Any recommendations on where to buy the Moroso catch can? I don't think my stock PCV would handle any boost but maybe with an in-line tank it should be OK.

So far I've purchased the kit, the e-manage and 4 Defi BF style gauges (Boost [in bar], Water Temp, Oil Temp & Oil Press). I will have the e-manage installed next week to see if there are any problems before I attempt the turbo kit install myself

Good good

then you've got some understanding of what's needed

Personally I think the gt2860"s to small for a 2L motor and the heats going to be a problem IMO

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOROSO-BREATHER-TANK-VACUUM-BREATHER-TANK-85465-/180612413207

That's the one I used but I moded to suite my needs. ie plumbed back PCV system and catch can to pass engine chart

To bad ya not in Sydney or I'd help :)

xenonkuraz
25-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I'd be tempted to come to Sydney for fine-tuning if needed :) what kind of heating issue do you think would arise from using that turbine? Since it has a T25 flange I think it would be quite easy for me to upgrade in the future if I wanted more power output

xenonkuraz
25-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Some more precise info on the kit:

-log style cast iron T25 manifold
-Garrett GT2860RS T25 flange (Ball Bearing Water-Cooled)
-internal wategate set to 6-7 psi
-stainless steel downpipe 3" diameter
-410cc RDX (factory turbo!) drop-in injectors
-braided feed line with tee
-oil return line to timing chain tensioner cover
-fmic rated for 300hp+

Jccck
25-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Some more precise info on the kit:

-log style cast iron T25 manifold
-Garrett GT2860RS T25 flange (Ball Bearing Water-Cooled)
-internal wategate set to 6-7 psi
-stainless steel downpipe 3" diameter
-410cc RDX (factory turbo!) drop-in injectors
-braided feed line with tee
-oil return line to timing chain tensioner cover
-fmic rated for 300hp+

Nothing wrong with the log manifold, but i'd get it match ported at the least
You want to have a wastegate spring near-ish to what PSI you plan to run.. Say if you want to run 13PSI.. Put an 11PSI spring in.
It's just taking work away from the boost controller, and it's more reliable.

Figure out a power goal, and find out if those Injectors will suit your needs.

The size of an intercooler doesn't hinder the power you can make directly, i'm not sure why it has a HP value on it.
Is it a good brand? What dimensions is it? What size inlet/outlet?
300hp isn't alot..

xenonkuraz
25-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure of the dimensions...they don't specify but the charge piping is 2" I believe. I'm planning to initially run 7-8psi and see how the car handles

Lukezen27
26-06-2011, 12:18 AM
OK so let’s answer a few questions

1. Turbo’s are all about efficiency for PSI output leaving heat transfer and dispersal.
Garrett GT2860RS is a small turbo with a small rear housing using a so so flange from back in the day though big enough for your needs just I’d say.
At this point you should be thinking about what PSI you plan to run, 10psi on a small turbo is very different to 10psi on a big turbo.

I was running a GT2871R with a .86 rear on my B16 1.6L motor and the heat output was a lot to deal with and manage.

So basically the GT2860RS will have to work harder than a bigger turbo would to produce the same set PSI while trying to keep up with the 2L motor which in turn adds heat and thus, you start losing power due to hot air being combusted.

2. Like the turbo there are Log Manifolds and there are Log Manifolds lol
Ideal the best Log Manifolds are tune lengthened for crank rotation
This allows for smooth flowing air out of what’s inherently a bad flowing hunk of steel..
They are 1k and up just for the Manifolds,

I was running the HKS Log Manifold with crank rotation lengthened pipes. One of the best on the market and apparently about to handle 20psi no problems.

Look just install the kit and be happy J

So you’re asking, why is he telling me all this crap.... well all these little things can and will have impacts on power and engine longevity and something to think about for future upgrades.

As Jccck said, use a bigger wastage spring and let the boost controller do the work, its just simply the easiest way to get smooth constant PSI
E-boost II is the only option IMO