PDA

View Full Version : Eg steering wheel!

nam.qhc
18-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey guys! Got a eg vti model with srs! I absolutely hate the 4 spoke steering wheel! I got a non srs 3 spoke oem Honda eg steering wheel (stock but looks better than 4 spoke) anywys I put the 3 spoke on... Horn doesn't work as the horn plug/loom is set differently! Will I have the same issue with an aftermarket steering wheel? If so, how do I bypass it? Or is the ITR srs steering the only way to go? Please note I already know if putting a non srs steering on a car which came with srs stock is illegal!

TheSaint
18-06-2011, 06:26 PM
so you got a steering wheel without an airbag on a car with SRS?? - all for the purpose of looks? why would you do such a thing? - pure stupidity

dougie_504
18-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Just keep the airbag for safety. Also your car won't be roadworthy without it.

nam.qhc
18-06-2011, 06:37 PM
ok then.. thanks so much man.. i PREFER 3 spoke over 4 spoke! hence i did ask if i should get the ITR SRS steering wheel. plus i got the 4 spoke on my car atm because the main question was related to HORN DOES NOT WORK!

dougie_504
18-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Fine then. If you buy a new aftermarket wheel with it's own loom then it should be fine, you just need to make sure the wire can contact the steering column on the inside to complete the circuit.

However I have no idea if an ITR wheel will be compatible (in terms of the SRS). Horn you can surely make work.

TheSaint
18-06-2011, 07:35 PM
the horn isnt going to save you if you have an accident (speaking from first hand experience)

if your EG doesnt have airbags - than fine - change the steering wheel to whatever

but if the car has airbags stock than removing them is both completely idiotic and illegal

(a close relative uses the car ... they have an accident and dies ... its your fault for removing the airbag - and many more examples etc)

and beleive me - EG civic crumple up like tinfoil against most other cars in australia

my advice - get a different steering wheel that has an airbag or just leave it stock
unless you are going to the track and the car has a safety harness, cage and bucket seats installed - than do whatever you want

dougie_504
18-06-2011, 08:04 PM
And rep for you bro

TheSaint
18-06-2011, 09:52 PM
safety should ALWAYS come first =)

chauster
18-06-2011, 11:20 PM
your 3 spoke non srs airbag will not fit
dc2r srs airbag will fit
dc2 non srs will not fit
aftermarket will fit depending on what boss kit you buy

Using non airbag steering wheel on a car that comes factory with an airbag is illegal. Pretty much anything on the car factory that you remove or take off is illegal as it is there for a reason.

mugen_ctr
18-06-2011, 11:54 PM
theres no cheap way around it, either pay the price of around 250 - 300 for a good, working dc2r airbag wheel or jus leave it as is, i to have contemplated on aftermarket steering wheel, but wasnt worth risking my life over some eye candy, the only real solution is the oem momo typeR steering wheel :)

chauster
19-06-2011, 12:00 AM
you'd be looking about 400-450 for dc2r.

thaizeg
19-06-2011, 01:41 AM
there is a dc2r wheel in fs section for 250..
as long as it comes with clockspring/abs module behind the wheel this will be ur best choice..

and the eg/dc non srs wheels will fit just horn wont work without a bit of work

if the guy wants to change to a non srs wheel let him do it... yes its illegal, yes its unsafe... but whats the difference then from any other eg thats not srs equipped.

it has been pointed out already a few times in this thread that it is illegal and unsafe which the OP agrees to. its also illegal and unsafe the way most have their suspension/ wheel setup. but does that get pointed out after every pic posted in the Clean EG thread? dont think so. not having a go at anyone in particular, just giving my 2c.

mytfoz
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
your EG got SRS then go for the DC2R wheel. one with SRS.

my EG is non srs so here's my upgraded wheel. JDM DC2R wheel
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x32/mytrex/JDMITRwheel.jpg

dc292177917
12-07-2011, 10:36 AM
the airbag of DC2R SRS wheel will NOT be deployed
same/similar question has been asked quite a few times
as told by "ECU MAN" the SRS unit of EG and DC2 are different
it can be done thru some sort of rewiring of stuff to make it works tho

egb16b
12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
^^^
that's right.

I researched this when i was changing my srs airbag wheel. I wanted to keep my sts but ended up not buying the dc2r srs because it won't work anyways.

So I'm looking for spoon wheel instead.. yes it's illegal and not safe.. but cmon guys... it looks heaps nicer lol.

And when have you ever said to someone you know that has changed their steering wheel n say.. err you know that's illegal right??