PDA

View Full Version : What too look in a DC5R/2R? and QA

manonastick
22-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Hi
I'm currently in the market of looking for a 2nd hand DC5R. To start my story originally was about to take my old mans Civic EK but some red p plater crashed into it and it was a total loss. . . my dad would get a EK9 as a replacement but i told him i don't think we are allowed to import those and now i am just borrowing extra cash to look for a DC5R/2R. It my first time buying a second hand car and i am not sure what to look for in a used integra as i am looking for as stock as possible and any advice would be good advice i don't know anyone that bought second hand cars before. I am also wondering why some of the price of the DCs prices compared to Redbook's price to carsales is alot more higher?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks In advance.

Nuci
22-06-2011, 10:29 AM
The type r models have a kind of cult status, sort of like the old ae86 sprinters. They tend to hold their value a little better as long as they're in good condition. You'll usually find type r's have lower km's on them compared to base model integras because many people use them as weekend cars. So it's understandable to see a DC5R on carsales with under 100 000kms for 20k ish.

I own a DC5R, so I can talk from my own experiences. Dont let kms be the deciding factor when choosing an integra. It's the type of kms that are important. I went and looked at a DC5R with 76 000 kms, and the interior was filthy, scratches on the paint and gutter rash on the rims. Then I saw one with 170 000 kms, in MINT condition, ended up buying it. Honda engines are very reliable so long as they're looked after, so to me kms don't matter that much. Put it this way, I'd rather buy a car owned by a middle aged lady with 150 000 kms of highway driving than a car from some flat brimmed cap douchebag with 50 000 kms of vtec-ing it in between every set of traffic lights.

When looking at a car, check the condition of the recaros. If they're in good nick, there's a good chance the car has been looked after. Type R owners will know what I'm talking about. DC5Rs also have fairly soft engine mounts, so always get them checked. Apart from these 2 things, I'd always get the car checked by a trusted mechanic for piece of mind. Things like wear on cv joints, bushes, brake pads, any oil leaks around the head cover or sump, and just overall condition, does it look like its been looked after? And always take it for a drive. If you do all this, if theres any major problems you should be able to tell.

But for the DC5R at least, I've had mine for about 18 months now and I absolutely love it. You can't compare it to any civic, they just feel so nice to drive. So firm and tight. The steering is direct, they handle great, and the K20a engine is one of the all time great NA 4 cylinders. Plus plenty of aftermarket support if that's the way you want to go. Just spend the extra 2-3 grand for a good one, treat it well, and it will make you smile everyday. I'm speaking from experience :) Hope that helps pal. Any questions just ask.

manonastick
23-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks Nuci for the reply. You gave me an idea for what to look for when im looking around for one.
Another question i have what is the price range i should be looking at? I'm looking at 02~03 model and im been seeing a price range from 16k~24k average of 120k kms.

DTN
23-06-2011, 04:58 AM
For a dc5r id be looking at ~16k-20k. 24k is abit too much to be honest, but if you do get one for that price it should be like mint as. The white ones tend to be abit higher in price than the others cause its alittle more rarer. 120kms isnt that bad considering the car is like 8 years old, as long as its been service and stuff it should be sweet.

r3ckless
23-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Is there any reason why ur looking for a close to stockcar as pissible? Are u going to mod it... Its great and all getting a bone stock
Car and all that. However you should do a fair bit of rrsearch into aftermarket support! If a car youfound has
Got parts your going to put on,
You might as
Well buy it . It will save u time and money in the future. For example.. A car with hasport/innovative engone mounts is already a good buy, as nuci said- mounts are weak in dc5... It will save u time in the workshop and money if you find a car with mounts
Replaced already. Thats just one example.

Nuci
23-06-2011, 10:26 AM
What reckless said is true, if you intent on modifying it, then light bolt on modifications like strut braces, engine mounts, intakes, these sorts of things will save you money if it's something you intend to do later on down the track. I'd stay away from the more seriously modified ones though, because you're never sure what you're going to get.

White is probably the most sought after colour (championship white to be exact), kinda like monza red on ferraris. So these might be a bit more expensive. Anywhere around 100 000 kms give or take a few is where Id be looking. And yeah I'd be looking to pay around 20 grand for a nice clean one. I'm from Brisbane and I check carsales for DC5Rs regularly, and there's always a few clean ones on there. Luckily they're probably out of the price range of most bogan douchebags.

One good thing is that they hold their price quite well. If you look at the later model DC2Rs, they're still fetching 15+ grand, which is a good sign from a resale point of view. But the DC5 is a great car mate, with one of the best engines Honda has ever made. Take one for a drive and you'll see what I mean.

manonastick
23-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Well the reason i am looking as stock as possible cause of no engine things for platers. I only recenty got my green ps although i dont really mind mods now i think about it. Thes mods i had in mind are simple and light ones as i am going to use this as daily. Also planning too keep it as long possible but the resale of type r's are one of the things making wonder are they that good and want it even more ;D looking for a blue or black one currently in NSW.

azzacrombe
23-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I think for the price budget you have it should not be hard to find a decent DC5R. I bought mine about a year ago for 20k and it was in mint condition with 56k's on it. In my opinion for an 02-03 Integra you should be paying about 20k-21k for something with<100k kms on it. Finding a blue '02 one should not be that hard as there are A LOT on carsales when I was looking.

EVLGTR
24-06-2011, 07:11 PM
If you want a car with street cred/cult-status and an FF that handles like no other, then get a DC2 Type-R. :)

midnightdood
25-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Yup, i totally agree!

If you want a car with street cred/cult-status and an FF that handles like no other, then get a DC2 Type-R. :)

r3ckless
25-06-2011, 07:06 AM

I tend to disagree on this point . Yes dc2r was best ff cAr in world, 10 years ago. Now i see alot of p plater examples. Same goes for an s2k nowadays.

r3ckless
25-06-2011, 07:15 AM
To the op, fair point about getting a stock car as possible but this goes both ways. My mate recently bought a dc5r. Its stock except for a HU and injen cai. Something quite dodgey about this car. The rail slider for the recaro keeps
Sliding out. That tells me the rail isnt the original one on the car as its definiately been taken out. Hee told me his boot light wasnt working. I suspected a faulty bulb. Popped it open, the wiring wasnt connected. Now why would the bulb/light not be connected to the wiring?

You then take my car. I've replaced my roll centre adjusters/ bushings on lca and engine mounts. Mods that you can go bacck on but why, whats the point. What woyld you think dodgey anout my car? I also have a build thread and so fourth and im sure after reading that, ppl will realise im a very pedantic, indecisive and a perfectionist and making everything just work.

MAybe something to look out for is build some rapport with the owner. If they seem open n honest in just talking to u. Their most likely genuine bout wat they said about the car

Nuci
25-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I think what reckless says makes a good point. However, I'm a postgraduate psychology student and from what I've learned about people's behavior, the owner of a dodgy car is more likely to come across overly friendly in order to try and pull the wool over your eyes. If he gets you to trust him, he probably thinks you'll believe whatever he says. Same goes for dodgy car salesmen.

But generally speaking, the more stock, the better. And you're more likely to have an older person be honest with you than a young bloke. If I bought a performance car off a 21 year old, I'd have a hard time believing any claims that it's never been modified. That's why you've always gotta be so thorough when checking out a car. You've gotta live with the car, so it's in your best interests to try learn the car inside an out before you buy it. I researched DC5Rs for months before I bought mine.

r3ckless
25-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Thats true, for me when i had someone look at my car. I told him everythinnf i done to it and where all the scratches were. I felt if he knew whwre all the flaws of my car were, he would think im a genyine seller n nothing to hide.

EVLGTR
25-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Yup, i totally agree!

Yep!! DC2 Type-R one of the original and the best. hardcore tuners around the world still couldnt get enough of its unique race-tuned suspension, chassis & hand built B-series engine.

@reckless, yeah i know but you cant blame the p platers though, anyone can hop on it and really drive it. Its still a desirable car so they just want to drive it

manonastick
25-06-2011, 10:52 AM
@Nuci : i have a 1month time limit before i actually buy the car soo i am trying my best to learn as much possible before making my purchase.

how would a dc2r compared to dc5r? I might save some money getting a dc2r as i want to borrow as little as i can from rents.
And i found that alot of type S cost more than an R? Why is that?

brad
25-06-2011, 11:01 AM
@Nuci : i have a 1month time limit before i actually buy the car soo i am trying my best to learn as much possible before making my purchase.

how would a dc2r compared to dc5r? I might save some money getting a dc2r as i want to borrow as little as i can from rents.

Speaking from experience (I've owned two DC2Rs and driven multiple DC5Rs), I would choose a DC2R hands down over any DC5R any day. The DC2R just feels that much more 'race-bred'. The DC5R is an excellent car, but I found that our ADM versions (the ones we received here in Australia) were tuned down, sound deadening is there, it has a more 'plasticy' feel to the interior and overall isn't as raw and exhilarating as a DC2R is. If you don't mind driving a daily with no sounding deadening, stiff suspension and a race-car feel, then by all means pick a DC2R. You'll be rewarding with the screaming B18C7 (it revs so high it's addictive), the best FWD chassis in the world and a true cult/street classic.

Type-S is a luxury version, if I remember correctly.

Nuci
25-06-2011, 11:11 AM

In terms of performance, the DC5R is a more complete car than the DC2R. The DC2 is more aggressive, more hardcore, but the DC5 is faster, more comfortable, and easier to live with, which is important for a daily. Responds to mods better too. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the DC2, but anyone who says it's a faster car than a DC5 is kidding themselves. But the DC2 is a great car still, don't get me wrong. Great fun to throw around.

The type s is more expensive because it's a newer car. The type r was made here in aus from 02-04, the type s from 05-06. It's also got more features, and has a few upgrades over the type r. Newer engine, suspension upgrades, cruise control, etc.

EVLGTR
25-06-2011, 12:06 PM
If you don't mind driving a daily with no sounding deadening, stiff suspension and a race-car feel, then by all means pick a DC2R. You'll be rewarding with the screaming B18C7 (it revs so high it's addictive), the best FWD chassis in the world and a true cult/street classic.

Type-S is a luxury version, if I remember correctly.

hell yeah! thats what Honda's "TYPE-R" philosophy is all about

manonastick
25-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Wait. . Soo in aus the type r in was replaced with the type s 04+ ?
Didnt know that. .
Well i think i will love whatever i get as both dc2/5r "are" great cars. I think it falls into the price range of what i am hoping to get to get one for. I saw dc5r on ebay that sold for 14k which i missed out. . Lucky i can still wait for another good deal.

Nuci
25-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Just get whichever appeals to you the most mate. At the end of the day you have to live with it. But whichever way you go you'll be getting a great car. Not sure if you've considered it, but an EP3R (civic type r) is another great car. Has the same engine as the DC5R but in a hot hatch package. Do some research on it too.

manonastick
25-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Just get whichever appeals to you the most mate. At the end of the day you have to live with it. But whichever way you go you'll be getting a great car. Not sure if you've considered it, but an EP3R (civic type r) is another great car. Has the same engine as the DC5R but in a hot hatch package. Do some research on it too.

I thought about but i am just going to stear clear from imports and i'll take a coupe over hatch any day.

sneakygreek
25-06-2011, 02:25 PM
DC2R = Older and more Race oriented, so more fun to drive

DC5r = Comfortable, newer car, bit high looking tho!!

EP3R = Rare, sick looking, would be the best choice IMO.

I plan to get one of these Cars eventually After my EM1

DTN
25-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I use my dc2r as a daily, it not that bad. Only abit annoying when your tired and theres no sound deadening so you can hear like every rattle there is lol. I was tossing up between the 5r/2r when i was looking as well but ended up getting a dc2 cause it was abit cheaper for a clean one. Sometimes i wished i went with a dc5r but meh both great cars.

VTEC YO!!
29-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I have been looking for a dc2r for soo long mate. Im in nsw and it is ridiculously hard too find a clean dc2 for 13k. I have been out and seen atleat 4 or 5, each having problems. Either written off without the seller being honest, non linear chasis, no logbooks with no sign of care in the engine, putrid interior. Also bugging me are the dreamers who think theyr going to get 16k for their dc2r with 160+kms on it. In my opinion kms arent a worry until it gets to around 160k, but ive always wanted something that could last me atleast for 5+ years and a motor with 160k even taken care of will start needing work over 200k mark. dc5r is easier to find although does cost a fair bit more.IMO id rather be paying abit more and getting a s2k (my dream car). Good luck with it, id suggest a dc5 only because its easier too find a clean one for a realistic price. But if you can find a dc2r for a realistic price, its hard to resist, so much more raw!

DTN
29-06-2011, 02:16 AM
^ its gonna be hard to find a clean dc2r for 13k mate, unless your lucky lol. Took me ages to find mine. Had the same problem as you checked out a couple of "decent" looking ones and all had problems. Yeah i think some sellers are being abit unrealistic asking for 16k+ for a dc2r with like 200+kms. Thats how much i got mine for and it had 93k kms with logs etc lol. Guess if you have patience you'll find one eventually...

manonastick
30-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah i agree, hard to find a decent dc2r in Sydney without people asking alot. . .
Just give it some patience and i am sure will we be able to find a decent one for a reasonable price somewhere.

Normz
30-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Dont know whether anyone has mentioned yet, but check where the front transmission mount has split. Its a common thing in DC5R's.