PDA

View Full Version : Eg hatch boot latch for racing

vtecing
24-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Need to know what theyre called and where to get them from. They hold the glass window down to the boot hatch on the exterior. There is one on each side, they connect to the plug that supports the gas strut. Used in racing application. Sorry I am not able to upload a photo as I am using my phone

just like these

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=OMP_Stainless_Steel_Spring_Clip_Latc h_Kit&form_prod_id=240,58_5363&action=product

vtecing
28-07-2011, 04:48 PM
bump

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=756

something like these?

trism
28-07-2011, 05:19 PM
well, as for what theyre called, you searched for them, and found what you want, so what does the website list them as?

A spring clip. Just google it, and search for pages in australia only.

vtecing
28-07-2011, 08:34 PM
obviously that was the first thing I tried doing. Returned too many results. Was hoping some one has already used them etc

vtecing
10-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Found exactly what I was looking for a great price

http://lowerspendings.com/Spring-Bonnet-Hood-Pin-Set-P222349.html

whitecomet07
13-11-2011, 11:01 PM
have you order it yet? i see the latches will need you to drill holes on your glass and hatch to rivot the pins in. how you going to drill the glass without damage it?

whitecomet07
13-11-2011, 11:02 PM
there is a shop near my place called MRT in rhodes. their EK race car has those spring on it. maybe i will drop by and ask them how they do it...

vtecing
14-11-2011, 09:22 AM
on the eg hatch there are two metal plugs on the outside of the glass, one on each side. These are to hold the gas struts which support the window. The springs will be welded to them and a clip pop riveted to that hatch.

Qwrx
15-11-2011, 03:44 PM
What is the reason for wanting to move away from the standard key mechanism?

Having run an EG rally car for the last 5-6 years, I would say that you are better off just attaching a key to a wire or braided mesh or similar and leave it in the lock during the race (There is a nice mounting spot for the wire just inside the hatch). Its far quicker to turn a key and open the hatch and slam it shut again than it is to undo the hatch in two places open it, close it, and then re hook both springs.

If you are worried about it unlatching accidently, it WONT (even when rolled).
The glass on the hatch is likely to smash before it unlatches in an accident so unlatching should not be a concern.

If its purely a weight thing, the springs will be lighter, but you can reduce the weight of the standard mechanism as well. Then you need to look at how much time the weight will save you vs the time you will save by not stuffing around in the pits with the extra spring latch.

whitecomet07
15-11-2011, 04:30 PM
my concern is that i have a carbon fibre trunk. so theres no latch mechanism. i rely on the glass and c/f trunk latch but theres no side latches to further secure the trunk. so i think a spring or a fastener will be a must.

vtecing
16-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeh the only reason I need them is because I removed the rear wiper and motor and the hatch latch is part of the wiper motor assembly. Purely just to save as much weight as possible. We have no reason to need to open the rear hatch, nothing is going to be transported in it and it wont open properly with the wing on any way. I would completely seal it shut but I dont like doing modifications that cant be reversed.

If you want to see how it turns out once I have installed the springs then visit facebook.com/theheartofracing

Qwrx
16-11-2011, 11:03 AM
If you still have the wiper mechanism, then you can remove most of it and maintain the latch part. If there is absolutely no reason to open it mid race then I would say go with the springs but make sure they really are secured well. I have witnessed them coming unhooked mid rally in the past (a competitor hit a solid bump mid corner and away it went). If it was me, I would check to see if a perspex window is allowed in your category. If it is I would use that and then fix it in place with something like Sykaflex or Solastic, so it cant come out mid race but can be removed if you need to fix something in the back between events.