PDA

View Full Version : jdm h22a project

VTECANDY
24-06-2011, 10:56 PM
hey everyone,

im currently about to rip apart an imported jdm h22a from a bb1 lude thats done 160k and build it from scratch, budget is 8k-10k. basically, indecisive whether i want a turbo or supercharger, i want it to be reliable, but yeah, looking to put either a t-30 or t-35 top mount, even a nitrous kit which should push it to around 250kw at the wheels. ive been told by my dyno-guy to steer clear from BC (brian crower) cams and all as they loose power overall, so i need opinions what to get and whats best and where to get it from. Looking for a whole engine rebuild inc cams, not sure whether spoon, toda, skunk 2 etc, valves, retainers, springs, maybe thinking of stroking it as well, probably eagle rods.. anyone with a built h22a, try message me what you think is best and whats worked for you. cheers

gumus89
25-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I cant help with much, except that you might want to steer clear of supercharging. The only kit ive heard of it the Jackson Racing SC and it seems to have serious heat issues.

-Tom
25-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Is the nitrous for drag racing, or..?

TheSaint
26-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I cant help with much, except that you might want to steer clear of supercharging. The only kit ive heard of it the Jackson Racing SC and it seems to have serious heat issues.

h22 specific or just in general?

iv only heard good things about the JRSC kits

VTECANDY
26-06-2011, 07:40 PM
well thats the only kit ive seen as well, but i thought they only make it for the 97-01 models.. and i thought it would be more reliable than a turbo. But whats the go with JE pistons, Darton Sleeves etc. etc.. im looking on building the h22 with around 15-18psi and looking for around 250-300 at the wheels.

mugen_ctr
26-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Turbo charging is much simpler than SC, less head aches, an less work involved in the building process, and you will achieve ur desired power much easier, ofcourse thats not to say the SC kit wont make that power

You prbs wont need to stroke it at all, the standard H22a makes plenty of torque an power as it is, an with boosting it, will even make it sweeter, stroke it if ur aiming for more than 350kw, 250kw i see is very achievable with the standard displacement

Your best bet is to speak to who ever is goin to build ur motor, they will run down with you whats needed an what not to achieve ur power goal.

Benson
26-06-2011, 08:41 PM
With that budget, sell off the H22a and put in a K-series. You'll be unique and definately different!

mugen_ctr
26-06-2011, 09:44 PM
With that budget, sell off the H22a and put in a K-series. You'll be unique and definately different!

I do believe his tryna hit the power goal of 250kw, though 250kw on a FWD is a fair bit, maybe a K20 does make more sense, but can u achieve the power level,with a K20 swap an power/force induction on his budget? Id imagine a K20 can pull good power on a standard block, maybe around 180 - 250kw

TheSaint
26-06-2011, 10:08 PM
as for S/C vs Turbo - depends what you want really
power on tap and better in traffic = S/C
larger power + easier tune + larger kick in the pants = Turbo

K20 would be an easier build - more parts available and easier to tune

VTECANDY
26-06-2011, 10:11 PM
thats the thing, i wanted to build this engine myself with a few mates,and then get somebody to do the wiring and bits and pieces.With a turbo, i was thinking along the lines of a t30 or t35 top mount, i want at least 250kw, if i can get 300 then it will be great but then once again, its trying to keep the power on the road which is going to be the issue, I dont know if true, someone's told me to use the 4 wheel drive drivetrain of the old Cr-v's in order to convert it to 4 wheel drive.. can anyone shed light about this?

TheSaint
26-06-2011, 10:13 PM
which car are you using? and why are you opting to TMIC instead of FMIC?

VTECANDY
26-06-2011, 10:13 PM
and i thought that supercharge will work better with vtec.. theres problems with both turbo and vtec working at the same time, like its hard to tune..

VTECANDY
26-06-2011, 10:15 PM
which car are you using? and why are you opting to TMIC instead of FMIC?

i want to use my prelude.

TheSaint
26-06-2011, 10:16 PM
yes - supercharging is alot more linear and works really well with vtec

i dont know how you plan to put a TMIC on a H22 ... theres just no room for it and the amount of heat you will get in there wont be worth it

i have seen a K20 with a side-by-side top mount ... iv seen it with the Jazz as well

http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/3.jpg&sa=X&ei=yCIHTp-oAuvJmAXEzsm9DQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHOln5UxSlzrBE2mHQxyfXMSjFMZQ

mugen_ctr
26-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Converting to 4wd is a BIG challenge which u will need $$$$, might as well just buy a turbo 4wd as a base lol, so cross that off the list, theres too many things to consider, and too much customizing, custom rear sub frame, drive shafts, drive shaft tunnels..... etc etc, and even after all that, you will need to engineer it if its a road car, even more $$$$, nothing is impossible, its the money that talks when it comes to making it work

If your serious about keeping the lude and making power, than add a LSD and good tires, as well as suspension, thats sorted out, than it shouldnt be too much of a hassle, but sounds like your better off getting a WRX or EVO 1,2 as a base

As far as TMIC vs FMIC, both work jus as well, but FMIC is the better solution here, as saint said, room is the issue

TheSaint
26-06-2011, 10:41 PM
dont think i have ever seen a true top mount intercooled honda...

an AWD turbo car with TMIC that makes 250-300kw ...
from everything you have described to us - you really should be building a WRX

for the BB1 .... a good I/H/E, cams + cam gears, skunk2 intake manifold, hondata intake manifold gasket, LSD, quality tyres and a really good tune will give you a damn good car

gumus89
27-06-2011, 12:23 PM
h22 specific or just in general?

iv only heard good things about the JRSC kits

My source is Preludepower which is sort of based in the US. I have no specifics expect they are all H22's and the general consensus is that they have heat issues.

TheSaint
27-06-2011, 12:49 PM
D-series guys in american praise them ... i can see how heat would be an issue though - they are fairly cramped in at the back of the engine and theres no way to intercool the air