PDA

View Full Version : gutting catalytic converter on dc5r?

BLV-27J
26-06-2011, 02:35 AM
im not planning on doing this my friend was, and i was wondering what the advantages of him doing this is? he knows there can be a big fine and everything but he will buy another spare cat incase he has to go through EPA, is there a power inscrease? i know it will be a lot louder aswell. will his check engine light turn on and how can it be turned off if it does? hes also got a RM01A catback if this helps

bennjamin
26-06-2011, 08:07 AM
No advantage.no power gain,your car is designed to run with one , More smoke , **** up your cars running ( you have two o2 sensors one after the cat) and not to mention if you get caught - you will get an on the spot fine NOT a chance to change it in a mates backyard before a EPA.

"your mate" is a dick for considering , tell "your mate" to **** off not pollute our precious air and think of spending money on the car where it works

vtecing
26-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I did a dyno tune before and after gutting the cat on my old dc2r and it made less power after I gutted it. There is no point having no cat unless you got turbo

dougie_504
26-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Your mate is an idiot. Whack him in the head for me!

TheSaint
26-06-2011, 12:44 PM
its not just a fine ... ITS A REALLY BIG FINE
theres no gains from it either - only down sides

this goes on the stupid list:
- gutting cat
- removing airbags
- huge exhausts on stock cars
- T wings
- street racing
- speeding in school zones

dc2r-0636
26-06-2011, 03:47 PM
so why do people get 'hi flow' cats if u will gain nothing ? 100cel or 200cel ?

also ive heard of alot of cases where test pipes are used (which what a guttered cat is in a way) and gains are found.

some one with more knowledge in this area explain this to me? :)

vtecing
26-06-2011, 06:11 PM
A gutted cat is not the same as a test pipe. As the air enters the cat it expands and then has to funnel back through the rest of the exhaust, creating enough tubulance to render your fancy new modification useless

TheSaint
hi-flow cats are designed to work with the engine/exhaust system to provide gains in performance yet still keep emissions down
the idea is a better design than factory (OEM engineering is usually very crude and cost effective)

test pipes are usually only used for very high flowing applications - like REALLY BIG turbos - where the positive pressure is too much for a cat and you get a build up in the collector

why you would want to run either a bashed cat or test pipe on the street is beyond me though ...

TheSaint
A gutted cat is not the same as a test pipe. As the air enters the cat it expands and then has to funnel back through the rest of the exhaust, creating enough tubulance to render your fancy new modification useless

+1 as well

DC2-PWR
26-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Here in Brisbane a guy got caught having a test pipe instead of his cat on his dc2r, well how they checked was using a mirror, then they saw the unusual welds and how it didn't look like a cat. They impounded his car and has a case for loosing his liecense till 2021, and a fine of $26,000. His a member of this forum (dont pm me who he is).

This will be the same situation if you have no resonator.

Will update how he goes, pretty sad case though. And I though qld police were soft

-Tom
26-06-2011, 07:10 PM
ITS A REALLY BIG FINE

10k, I believe(?)

EG52NV
26-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Tell your mate to just remove the whole exhaust system and just drove around with extractors a friend of a friend or a friend said he did that to his civic and the gains were so massive he smoked a Ferrari! And when cops pulled him over they had no idea because it still sounded legal! I swear this is a true story broz!

DC2-PWR
26-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Just called my mate and he didn't have a resonator aswell.

So possibly 13,000 for each test pipe.