PDA

View Full Version : CRV loss of performance

dingdong
27-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Over the weekend, I had occasion to drive my friend's CRV from Syd to Melb. It's a 1999 Sport manual with 165Km so it's getting on a bit plus it was loaded up with boxes.

I was disappointed with the performance. It didn't drive anywhere near as well as I had remembered. Slow to accelerate, slow to brake, accelerator was heavy, steering vibrates, engine is noisy ....and it was serviced a week earlier and was running on premium unleaded.

The car has been looked after, never smashed or neglected. And I know Hondas go forever IF serviced properly. So the only way i can explain it is that the mechanic hasn't done a very good job ...does this sound like a fair assessment?

Any thoughts / similar experience?

Bludger
27-06-2011, 02:05 PM
you said it was loaded up with boxes?

100kg weight does a lot to detriment the performance of a small 4 cylinder engine, and handling characteristics.

bad servicing is not a fair assessment.

mechanic hasn't serviced the vehicle when paid to do so is more of a fair assessment in my book. sorry.

But even then, you're not going to notice much when a car is overdue for a service.

slow to brake - unload the vehicle, completely flush the brake fluid, check pads & rotors.
heavy pedal? - lube up the cable.
steering vibration - get wheels balanced, perform front & rear alignment.
noisy engine - valve adjustment
slow acceleration - unload vehicle.