PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Steering Issue

ALPS
27-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi Guys,

New to the Forum. I have read heaps of articles on here and have had my AP1 '00 S2000 for 6 months now. Thought it's time i register and raise an issue i'm having at the moment.

I noticed my steering sometimes feeling heavy and then light. My car was due for a minor service so i took it to Essendon Honda in melb. They've said that an error code come back and suggested an alignment as a fix. they want 380 dollars!! I don't want to pay that money for a wheel alignment when i've already had one done recently (month ago). so i picked up the car without them doing an alignment and now my steering keeps wandering off to the left and very hard to turn right. I took it back to them and they said they can't do anything but try a wheel alignment first. i really dont want to pay 380 for an alignment and they've made it worse than what it was. what if it isn't the alignment? blow away my money?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Alp

vyets
27-06-2011, 12:53 PM
try flush the power steering fluid maybe you have air bubbles in it.
Just go get an alignment somewhere else.

ALPS
27-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Car has EPS (think it's Electronic Power Steering). They don't have power steering fluid.

Think i will end up getting another wheel alignment to be safe. I am wondering though, how different would it be from getting a mechanic with the laser alignment machine or Essendon Honda to do it? what would they do different to charge the extra 300 bucks

vyets
27-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Car has EPS (think it's Electronic Power Steering). They don't have power steering fluid.

Think i will end up getting another wheel alignment to be safe. I am wondering though, how different would it be from getting a mechanic with the laser alignment machine or Essendon Honda to do it? what would they do different to charge the extra 300 bucks

Oh yea forgot about that :)

They won't do anything different

AusS2000
27-06-2011, 04:22 PM
You need to reset your EPS unit. Instructions are on S2ki. I'll see if I can find them.

AusS2000
27-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Here it is:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/860277-how-to-reset-steering-torque-sensor-no-honda-pgm-tester/page__p__20481218__hl__reset+torque__fromsearch__1 #entry20481218

If your car is pre-2002 you'll need to short the diag plugs differently. See the service manual.

ALPS
27-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Ok i tried disconnecting EPS all together and trying to drive that way and it seemed like it wasn't pulling to the left. I've then tried the reset process on the EPS and it seemed fine for the first min of driving but then started realising its still heaving to the right and veers off to the left. Must be an issue with the EPS system. or should i try the reset process one more time for good luck?
Here it is:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/860277-how-to-reset-steering-torque-sensor-no-honda-pgm-tester/page__p__20481218__hl__reset+torque__fromsearch__1 #entry20481218

If your car is pre-2002 you'll need to short the diag plugs differently. See the service manual.

ALPS
27-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I'll get another alignment just to make sure anyway.

AusS2000
27-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Ok.

If you need a replacement EPS unit I have one spare.

ALPS
27-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Oh great! is there two components to it? I know there's the Gold looking module box. anything else involved?
Ok.

If you need a replacement EPS unit I have one spare.

AusS2000
27-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I guess there is the torque sensor on the steering rack. I have a spare steering rack too but no idea of the condition.

vtek
27-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I am sure they wouldn't charge that much for just normal wheel alignment.

VeYzZii
28-06-2011, 12:12 AM
I have the same problem. My EPS light spits out a code, i just dont know how to read it..

Ecclesium
28-06-2011, 07:16 AM
I had the same problem a while back and Honda said the same thing. So I had my toe and camber settings adjusted by a garage I trusted, then the problem went away. Even when I got a new set of wheels and tires the steering was fine...

zhong
29-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Read out the codes by:

Long blink - 10's
Short blink - 1's

Add all of them up, then type the codes here, I'll look them up for you. With 10's and 1's there should be a .5s between each flash, then a 1s pause when it's spitting out the 1's. Do this a few times, until you get the same pattern (it keeps looping until you un-short the SCS).

I also have a spare EPS module and a Steering rack and a Torque sensor. I was going to replace mine because I had such issues, however it has now dissappeared (or not nearly as noticeable) - But from my previous findings, it's most likely the steering gearbox itself (whole rack).

Goodluck.

Peace.

ALPS
12-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi All! thanks alot for all the Help! i got a wheel alignment done from another Garage and was still doing the same thing! so i called up Essendon Honda and argued the fact that it wasn't doing it before i dropped it off and i want them to fix it. They said they need to do a wheel alignment. I asked what if the wheel alignment doesn't fix it? and they agreed that if the wheel alignment doesn't fix it i wouldn't have to pay for it. I got them to do the wheel alignment and they apprarently done the torque sensor reset procedure. I picked up the car after paying $363 and it was all fixed. Now my clutch pedal is getting stuck after pushing it in and trying to release. It has a slight stick and then just releases. Really Annoying!! thought i'd also add that my car got keyed outside my house :( Nice and deep scratch along my boot and another on my Rear Right Panel..

timtam
12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi All! thanks alot for all the Help! i got a wheel alignment done from another Garage and was still doing the same thing! so i called up Essendon Honda and argued the fact that it wasn't doing it before i dropped it off and i want them to fix it. They said they need to do a wheel alignment. I asked what if the wheel alignment doesn't fix it? and they agreed that if the wheel alignment doesn't fix it i wouldn't have to pay for it. I got them to do the wheel alignment and they apprarently done the torque sensor reset procedure. I picked up the car after paying $363 and it was all fixed. Now my clutch pedal is getting stuck after pushing it in and trying to release. It has a slight stick and then just releases. Really Annoying!! thought i'd also add that my car got keyed outside my house :( Nice and deep scratch along my boot and another on my Rear Right Panel..

try greasing the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder. if it still sticky then grease the clutch slave cylinder.
a good diy thread is here: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/370792-sticky-rough-squeaky-clutch-pedal/

ALPS
13-07-2011, 01:04 PM
try greasing the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder. if it still sticky then grease the clutch slave cylinder.
a good diy thread is here: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/370792-sticky-rough-squeaky-clutch-pedal/

Thanks for the DIY timtam. Only thing is i don't own a jack, i don't have a flat surface at home and i don't have the tools. See if i can convince a mate who has his own shop to help me out :p

i wish i had a garage with a hoist and all these tools in there. i would just rely purely off the DIYs on here to keep my car running safe and trustable cos i know what i would have done to it.

zhong
13-07-2011, 02:44 PM
You don't need a jack to grease the clutch pedal and your clutch master.

I'd say what your noticing is in actual fact the clutch slave push rod that connects to the fork (this will need a jack). Sand off the rough bits, regrease, re-install. You should notice a world of difference if you saw an uneven speckled finish on the ball.

Peace.

ALPS
13-07-2011, 03:13 PM
You don't need a jack to grease the clutch pedal and your clutch master.

I'd say what your noticing is in actual fact the clutch slave push rod that connects to the fork (this will need a jack). Sand off the rough bits, regrease, re-install. You should notice a world of difference if you saw an uneven speckled finish on the ball.

Peace.

Thank you Zhong! i'll take my car past my mates shop and hopefully get him to grease it all up for me and i'll also print out the DIY and show him what should be done. Thank you all for the help.

Love This Forum!

s2kjn
18-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Here it is:

Ok, I was able to get up to step 6, but the EPS light kept flashing out a code - 2 long, 2 short. I think that this is disallowing for me to reset the EPS. Anyone able to shed some light on this? also the DTC is 22, in the Honda manual, it seems to be for either:

- Excessive change of the vehicle speed sensor signal/
- A pronlem with average for vehicle speed and engine speed

Anyone able to shed some light on this? I have the steering issue mentioned by ALPS in the beginning, I dont know/understand why i'm retrieving these codes. I've done it bout 5 times to check, same pattern exists. Thanks!