PDA

View Full Version : Running TWO Front racing slicks and two rear street tires? = crazy?

Eskimo_firefighter
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Just as the tittle states how crazy would this be? ive found a pair of racing slicks for really cheap. How crazy would running two racing slicks at the front and two street tires (RE001) be? This is for an ep3r by the way. Would it cause crazy oversteer? what do you guys think?

Cheers.

Eskimo_firefighter
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
This would of course be for a track day setup.

trism
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
drag slicks or circuit slicks?

because drag slicks cant go around corners.

but itd prob handle like shit

Eskimo_firefighter
03-07-2011, 10:23 PM
they are circuit slicks

aznstyler
03-07-2011, 11:00 PM
whats crazy about that, its like a s15 or a skyline running semis @ the rear..

mugen_ctr
03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
whats crazy about that, its like a s15 or a skyline running semis @ the rear..

Having different tires isnt the best idea. You will have very unbalance traction and steering when pushing it to limits. Id say best to tryna find another pair of Re001, and have balance traction all around, atleast u know what the cars behavior will be like

Mr.Brightside
03-07-2011, 11:49 PM
not that bad to practice on, broke PB same setup, last circuit club day.
Just soften the rear, shouldnt be too bad.

dc2r-0636
03-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Personnel expirience, i had toyo r1r at the front and some shitty dunlops and it was the worst set up. This was at winton funday. Too much oversteer.

bennjamin
04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
avoid

cars are supposed to run same tyres front n rear. Unless you are driving in a straight line. If i recall , i ran old yokohama dead stale tyres rear and RT215 falken azenis up front because i thought it was cool. I ended up lift off over steering into the embankment on a spirited drive soon after. Snap lift off - no chance of catching. Front digs in hard and pushes cars weight onto the rear axle and spins it like crazy quick.

gumus89
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
If you start oversteering you can only bring it back so much with opposite-lock. You could usually smash the throttle and hope the front will lose grip and bring you back but that will only be limited with the slicks.

Riced_Civic
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
its not a good idea, like others said it will induce oversteer and it will more likely harder to catch with an even set front and back.

dc2r-0636
04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
keep whatever tires u have on atm for practise around the track.

evn tho its a ps3 game. have a go of it on GT5 lol its fun but frustrating, too sticky at the front and the rears are loose

Indie
04-07-2011, 11:02 PM
When the **** did 'tyres' become 'tires'?

dc2r-0636
05-07-2011, 12:24 AM
When the **** did you become an english tutor ?

If you dont have anything useful to say regarding the OP's question then shut the **** up

gumus89
05-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Yeah, defs is tyre.

Eskimo_firefighter
05-07-2011, 01:46 AM
hahaha, sorry for typing tyre in usdm style. i visit tirerack alot and the spelling on tire just got stuck to me. my bad.

Any who..... thanks for the advice everyone wont be going through with the transition to racing slicks but testing it out on gt5 is actually a pretty decent idea as im still curious to know the effects of this TYRE setup

dougie_504
05-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Giggles bro, if it works on GT5 then go for it IRL!

Just get four good tyres and use them on all four corners.

mugen_ctr
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
actually Gt5 gives a good indication on how a car might behave in real life. But thats as far as it goes. At the end of the day, its still a game, an nothing on a console/PC will ever be as real as reality, Maybe Rfactor, LFS Or GTR, but that will never give as much thrill if u were actually at the track or setting up the car in real life. If the op was really keen an for laughs, i say let him do it, at-least he can take the experience an learn from it

dougie_504
05-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Personally I disagree because you have to remember that although the car might behave similarly to reality the most important factor is the driver! And nobody drives their RL car with a hand-held controller or a G25 or whatever it's called. These don't give you the responsiveness and feedback of a real car, and swinging your car onto full lock, slamming on your brakes etc aren't done with the twitch of a thumb. Nor can you see as much of your surroundings as you can in GT5 (assuming you play 3rd person). Also don't forget that in RL you have other drivers on the road, pedestrians, cyclists, trams/buses/railways/road signs and laws etc. In GT5 you have other race drivers which is very different - many weekend warriors will tell you that driving on the track is safer than driving on the road!

For the love of God don't use GT5 as your basis for decision-making.

bennjamin
06-07-2011, 09:13 AM
guiz

GT5 , any car game is NOT indicative of real life handling. Only because of the steering ratio and feedback ! IE on a game you can whip it left then whip it right with the simple movement of your thumb and hopefully catch the oversteer or lift off. This would be impossible for anyone but the most professional drivers in real life. Get a hint !

gumus89
06-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I would assume that the road condition would have an effect as well and wouldnt be modelled by the game. Or maybe it is.

migoreng
06-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I think your car will oversteer if you have less grip on the rear..
I was driving a Type R in Gran turismo 5 and accidentally left hard tyres on the rear. The fronts had racing tyres...During the race I was thinking why is the rear flicking out so easily?

anjin
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Sorry, but it's a stupid idea actually. The rear does a lot of work on the track, and having that much disparity in grip levels will give you exactly what bennjamin found - very rapid loss of grip in a corner which you will not catch. Listen to what he says, because that's experience and not opinion.

This does of course assume you are trying hard and looking for the limits of grip. If you are just doing bog laps well within limits then the tires won't be a factor.

mugen_ctr
06-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Sorry, but it's a stupid idea actually. The rear does a lot of work on the track, and having that much disparity in grip levels will give you exactly what bennjamin found - very rapid loss of grip in a corner which you will not catch. Listen to what he says, because that's experience and not opinion.

This does of course assume you are trying hard and looking for the limits of grip. If you are just doing bog laps well within limits then the tires won't be a factor.

as far as tires go, agreed, but as for different compound, i hear on endurance races, some times they switch the fronts differently to the back, so therefore the wear rate of the overall tires is about the same, harder compound on the fronts.

gumus89
07-07-2011, 01:08 AM
I would love to know the temperature difference between front and rear tyres on a track, especially for a FWD.
Would it be enough to make a harder compound tyre wear just as fast as a softer front?

anjin
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
as far as tires go, agreed, but as for different compound, i hear on endurance races, some times they switch the fronts differently to the back, so therefore the wear rate of the overall tires is about the same, harder compound on the fronts.

Fair comment, but you won't be on the edge in an endurance race, you will be running nicely within the grip envelope and preserving the tyres, brakes and engine temperatures. In a short sprint event you are trying for the edge, you are pulling lateral g's at 1.3 and braking about the same longitudinally, both the front and rear are sliding, and then the tyres go off after say six laps and you start to loose grip. You need really good tyres when you start pushing hard and try to see just how good, or otherwise, you and your car really are.

Some of the best fun you can have as well.

trism
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM

theres a massive difference between having slicks all round with different compounds front to rear, and having slicks on one end and street tyres on the other

Indie
09-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Ha, GT5 is definitely not an accurate depiction of how vehicles behave. Its driving model is nowhere near as nuanced and realistic as its competitors.

dougie_504
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Keep it cool guys, stay on topic and respect one another's opinions please.